Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of December's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know there are lots of threads comparing the Crv and Forester.
My question is slightly different.
I really like my 2010 Crv. It only has 60,000 miles.
I inherited a 2016 Subaru Forester. It was bought new by my father-in-law. It only has 6,000.
Which of the two should I keep? Or, should I get a new Subaru or Crv?

·
Registered
'07 CR-V EX-L AWD
4,662 Posts
IMO the smart thing to do is sell the Forester and put the money in the bank. You're getting good service from the V. Subaru is notorious for bad transmissions and high engine repair issues. If it had a manual transmission it might be worth considering, but otherwise, I wouldn't. I also wouldn't buy a new V right now. To me they are too gimmicky with more things to break, have too many other issues. The thing about that Gen 3, and I may be prejudiced, is that it is reliable, comparatively simple and easy to make minor repairs on. You can still get a service manual for it. You can still upgrade the head unit easily as it is a double din. If you break a mirror you can still get parts instead of having to buy the whole thing at big bucks. You have a better transmission than a CVT. You can't do/avoid any of that with a new V. And you know you can trust the Gen 3 because you already do. Lastly, why spend money when you don't need to?

The last thing I'd do is keep the Subaru. Next to last would be a new V. Your Gen 3 is just now broken in good. It's a known quantity. If you sell/trade both and get a new car, you'll be throwing away a bunch of money, as there is no way it won't cost you. So, financially, keeping the Gen 3 is still the smart play. You will come out farther ahead. You just had a windfall. Those are rare in life. Don't waste it. Of course, I would imagine your father-in-law's daughter will have an opinion too, and THAT is truly the crux of this apostrophe.

·
Registered
1,988 Posts
We owned a 2010 CR-V and got rid of it with just over 60k miles, due to age. The smart thing to do, IMO, would be sell the CR-V, which should get you about $10k. The Subaru with only 6k miles will last you a long time, as long as it was properly maintained. Also, Subaru has reliable transmissions. Don't listen to those who have no idea what they're talking about. You can look it up yourself, but here's a freebie:

"Subaru has not experienced issues with their new CVT automatics that come in their all-wheel-drive vehicles like the 2016 Outback, Forester, Crosstrek and Impreza models."

How Subaru scores in top 5 automakers for reliability | Torque News

·
Registered
'07 CR-V EX-L AWD
4,662 Posts
We owned a 2010 CR-V and got rid of it with just over 60k miles, due to age. The smart thing to do, IMO, would be sell the CR-V, which should get you about $10k. The Subaru with only 6k miles will last you a long time, as long as it was properly maintained. Also, Subaru has reliable transmissions. Don't listen to those who have no idea what they're talking about. You can look it up yourself, but here's a freebie:

"Subaru has not experienced issues with their new CVT automatics that come in their all-wheel-drive vehicles like the 2016 Outback, Forester, Crosstrek and Impreza models."

How Subaru scores in top 5 automakers for reliability | Torque News
My mechanic, who has a daughter with one, says exactly the opposite. Her trans was replaced at 60k, and now she has engine problems. The shop foreman at the truck shop that took care of my big trucks bought one last year, and it has been a nightmare. Apparently it spends more time in the shop than at home. I trust that information more than all the hype from the whole internet combined. It's all snake oil, and those people are all carnies.

I'd keep the 2010, which is just now broken in good, sell the Subaru and bank the money for later, when it really is car time. That Gen 3 probably has a good 250k left in it. But, even if it doesn't, it's still young in car years, and should last a long time with care. You can always decide later, and between now and then, you will learn more, and be able to choose more wisely.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have a 2002 cr-v IMO this vehicle has just under 250,000 !I have not had any major repairs that I didnt do (That was a half shaft that was not balanced when installed) & welding a cat on it.I can get parts(Sometimes more than I like to pay) & can do all the repairs that its needs.In that 18 years i've had many(12-14) None hold a candle to my CR-V.Good luck & stay safe !

1 - 7 of 7 Posts