Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for tips and tricks on keeping my new black 2017 looking showroom new. Any help would be appreciated. I got a load-out from the chemical guys to start and plan on giving her a hand wash and wax tomorrow.:cool:

·
Registered
9 Posts
Black paint will be a challenge. You may want to consider a coating such as Opticoat.

Best applied by a professional and its not cheap.

Otherwise a good quality sealent is a good start. I.E Klasse Glaze
There are many options, probably best answered on a dedicated detailing forum if you are truly into maintaing your black paint.

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

·
Everything in Moderation
7,598 Posts
Black/dark colored cars are Swirl-Mark-Magnets.:(

If you will be washing the car yourself (by hand), remember this:

DO NOT PRESS DOWN. Use a light hand pressure. Mutter to yourself, "more reps, less pressure". :cool:

A Wax-As-You-Dry product will keep it looking shiny, too.

I get compliments about our '06 V all the time (dark blue), and it's never been buffed.

·
Registered
600 Posts
IMG_0099.jpg IMG_0100.jpg IMG_0101.jpg

Modern Steel with one coat of Klasse paint sealer, topped with one coat of Pinnacle Souveran Wax

4 year old Black NISMO 370 with Pinnacle Souveran wax.

IMG_0086.jpg

I did the coating and wax on my friend's CR-V, the NISMO belongs to my brother.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Black/dark colored cars are Swirl-Mark-Magnets.:(

If you will be washing the car yourself (by hand), remember this:

DO NOT PRESS DOWN. Use a light hand pressure. Mutter to yourself, "more reps, less pressure". :cool:

A Wax-As-You-Dry product will keep it looking shiny, too.

I get compliments about our '06 V all the time (dark blue), and it's never been buffed.
Thanks for the tips. I'll definitely be washing by hand. This beauty will never see the inside of a non-touchfree car wash! I did get some different wax as you dry items and plan on waxing once a month hoping that will be enough.

·
Registered
600 Posts
Thanks for the tips. I'll definitely be washing by hand. This beauty will never see the inside of a non-touchfree car wash! I did get some different wax as you dry items and plan on waxing once a month hoping that will be enough.
Wash by hand is a great idea. Sealing the paint with something like Klasse sealant is a cheap investment. Probably less than $40 for sealant, applicator, and good soft microfiber towels. It only took me about 2.5 hours to do the CRV that I posted the pictures of. You will get enough sealant to re-Seal 3 or 4 times. If you put good wax over the sealant and use a wax and dry product you will only have to re-seal once a year and only re-wax semi annually.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Wash by hand is a great idea. Sealing the paint with something like Klasse sealant is a cheap investment. Probably less than $40 for sealant, applicator, and good soft microfiber towels. It only took me about 2.5 hours to do the CRV that I posted the pictures of. You will get enough sealant to re-Seal 3 or 4 times. If you put good wax over the sealant and use a wax and dry product you will only have to re-seal once a year and only re-wax semi annually.
How hard is it to apply? Is it easy to screw up, and if so, how bad does it look? I ask because I'm a complete newbie to this stuff. I figured washing and waxing would be enough. Guess I was wrong...

·
Registered
600 Posts
How hard is it to apply? Is it easy to screw up, and if so, how bad does it look? I ask because I'm a complete newbie to this stuff. I figured washing and waxing would be enough. Guess I was wrong...
Klasse sealant applies just like wax. I did it by hand with a brand new microfiber pad and wipe off with a good microfiber towel. It does not dry to a haze like wax, it's best to lightly wipe off while it is still "wet". Work in small areas, don't go to far ahead with the application. It's pretty easy. Then it takes 12 hours to cure. You can touch it up if you need to.

The Pinnacle Souveran wax is expensive, but a little goes a long way. It comes in liquid or paste, I use the paste. It's $95 a jar and you can get probably 10 CR-V's, maybe more, to a jar. I used two plastic spoons level to do the whole CR-V after the sealant. I applied that with a black polishing pad on a Porter Cable random orbital polisher and removed by hand with a microfiber towel, but it can be done by hand like any other wax, but you don't need to use a lot of wax on top of the sealant.

With both those products you can seal and wax over all the paint AND plastic trim parts without leaving a white residue. I sealed all the plastic trim on that MS CR-V. I waxed the headlight and tailight lenses.

Often times, especially around holidays, autogeek.com has promo coupons for 20% off, also if you spend more than $125 you can pick one free sample item, which I always take the Pinnacle Crystal Mist detailer sample bottle. That is also a very good post wash detailer product.

·
Registered
600 Posts
There are also links to YouTube how-to videos for almost every product sold by autogeek.com

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Klasse sealant applies just like wax. I did it by hand with a brand new microfiber pad and wipe off with a good microfiber towel. It does not dry to a haze like wax, it's best to lightly wipe off while it is still "wet". Work in small areas, don't go to far ahead with the application. It's pretty easy. Then it takes 12 hours to cure. You can touch it up if you need to.

The Pinnacle Souveran wax is expensive, but a little goes a long way. It comes in liquid or paste, I use the paste. It's $95 a jar and you can get probably 10 CR-V's, maybe more, to a jar. I used two plastic spoons level to do the whole CR-V after the sealant. I applied that with a black polishing pad on a Porter Cable random orbital polisher and removed by hand with a microfiber towel, but it can be done by hand like any other wax, but you don't need to use a lot of wax on top of the sealant.

With both those products you can seal and wax over all the paint AND plastic trim parts without leaving a white residue. I sealed all the plastic trim on that MS CR-V. I waxed the headlight and tailight lenses.

Often times, especially around holidays, autogeek.com has promo coupons for 20% off, also if you spend more than $125 you can pick one free sample item, which I always take the Pinnacle Crystal Mist detailer sample bottle. That is also a very good post wash detailer product.
There are also links to YouTube how-to videos for almost every product sold by autogeek.com
Thank you both. This is really helpful advice.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts