Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of December's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Display indicated key fob battery low so I changed the battery and now it does not work at all. Do i need to reprogram anything? I used the key to unlock the car but I can’t start the car with the dead key fob. What do I do? Help!

·
Registered
491 Posts
1) Check if battery is in backwards. Correct polarity is indicated inside fob.
2) The new battery could be dead. Try another one.
3) You CAN start the car with a dead fob. From P. 611of the 2017 Owners manual:

If the beeper sounds and the "To Start, Hold Remote Near Start Button" message
appears on the driver information interface; and the ENGINE START/STOP button
flashes and the engine will not start. Start the engine as follows:

1. Touch the center of the ENGINE START/STOP button with the H logo on the smart
entry remote while the ENGINE START/STOP button is flashing.
The buttons on the smart entry remote should be facing you.
The ENGINE START/STOP button flashes for about 30 seconds.
2. Depress the brake pedal and press the ENGINE START/STOP button within 10
seconds after the beeper sounds and the indicator changes from flashing to on.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I am currently seeing the battery low indicator on my 2017. If i change it should it need reprogramming? I already have the battery and saw a video online how to do it.

From what I can tell we need to bring it to honda or an automotive locksmith if it needs reprogramming so i'm hoping it won't need it.

·
Premium Member
6,154 Posts
reinser the right way.

·
Registered
2 Posts
When I took my key fob apart the buttons almost fell out. Maybe yours did and messed up the alignment somehow? Might want to check if everything is properly aligned.
True. In particular, the Hold button can be very slightly out of alignment with the corresponding hole in the front-facing half of the black case, which may cause the battery not to make good contact. Easily solved with these steps:
  1. Pick up the black half-shell that has the button holes.
  2. Insert the Hold button in its hole from the back of the half-shell. Hold in place.
  3. Apply a piece of Scotch tape across the front of the hole and press so that the face of the button sticks to it and be kept in its proper place when you snap the two half-shells together.
  4. Remove the tape.

·
Registered
1 Posts
As an FYI. Same thing happened to me. Checking the battery it had a small plastic cover that needed to be removed on the negative (-) side. A safety measure it seems. Totally missed it and when I peeled off and put back in, key fob worked.

·
Premium Member
6,154 Posts
Yes if we pay no attention to how things are protected, that is what happens, thanks for pointing it out to us

1 - 10 of 10 Posts