Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Let me start out and say that the drivers door was replaced years ago. And the actual physical key never worked in the new door. Only the fob would unlock the car.we just replaced the key fob battery. And the fob no longer works. Placed the old battery back in but still nothing. So I read up on this and it might need to be reprogrammed. But I'm locked out so I can't do that yet. But more still, there was some talk of an immobilizer unit which can only be reprogrammed at a dealer. So my question is if I can get into my car and reprogram the key fob will everything be ok? Or should I be calling to get towed to a dealership.

·
Registered
2,822 Posts
Let me start out and say that the drivers door was replaced years ago. And the actual physical key never worked in the new door. Only the fob would unlock the car.we just replaced the key fob battery. And the fob no longer works. Placed the old battery back in but still nothing. So I read up on this and it might need to be reprogrammed. But I'm locked out so I can't do that yet. But more still, there was some talk of an immobilizer unit which can only be reprogrammed at a dealer. So my question is if I can get into my car and reprogram the key fob will everything be ok? Or should I be calling to get towed to a dealership.
Does the key work on the passenger door or tail gate? If it does you could crawl in and start the car that way. A buddy of mine just had his key with the immobilizer fail and had to take it to the dealership to be reprogrammed. So, that might be your best bet. I don't think you would have to have the vehicle at the dealership. You may just need the key and vin number. Good luck!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No this car only has one lock on it. The driver door. Lame I know. I've managed to get the door unlocked with a coat hanger but now I can't lock the doors on the car ever. Or I'll be locked out again. So back to original question. Can I try reprogramming key or is that going to make the ignition not work too? Reprogramming the key is something like putting key in ignition and pressing lock or unlock buttons on fob. I'm worried about the immobilizer people keep mentioning. I don't want to trigger it by reprogramming the key. Because once it's triggered I think ur car won't start? Please help. This is all time sensitive.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Door unlock and immobilizer are two separate things in the key fob. Immobilizer is a small transducer chip mounted in the key fob while the unlock/lock portion is the transmitter part. You can go ahead and try to reprogram your key fob w/o affecting the immo. Does the LED comes on when pushing lock/unlock button ???? What year is your CRV ???
LED on the FOB that is.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you I believe you answered my question. To answer yours. I'm 90% sure that the key never had an LED light up. It's a 2008 honda crv ex something. So when I press buttons on the fob now, nothing happens, no clicks no lights, nada. I'm eating breakfast and just left the window down so I can get back in when the door autolocks. But as soon as I'm done eating I'm going to try reprogramming

·
Registered
295 Posts
Mine is a 2010 and there's a LED on the FOB that lights up when pressing lock/unlock. Not sure if 2008 has one. !! Maybe someone else can confirm. Double check your battery to make sure that it is good.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts