Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to be able to keep my spare key outside the locked doors of the car (for efficiency, please don't debate the merits or problems of this), ie: in one of those magnetic boxes inside the bumper. And, I understand the importance of using a Faraday box/ pouch.

I'm wondering... if I used a Faraday box magnetized to the inner bumper area, would my 2019 CRV allow me to lock it?/ Would the Farraday box also protect the car from perceiving that I'd left the keys "inside"?

Thank you!

·
2,261 Posts
Welcome to the forum! I would recommend you re-post this question in the Gen5 Section for more responses. Also, we love pictures! Show us your shiny ride!

·
Registered
2,340 Posts
Any good faraday shield box should prevent the Fob and vehicle from communicating. The car will not know the Fob is present, and vice versa.

I would be cautious about any sort of magnetically attached box though.. as they don't really put a lot of metal into bumpbers and wheel wells these days. Not saying you can't do it.... only that I would instead try to go with one you can firmly mount to the vehicle somewhere convenient and known to you, but out of sight to anyone else.. and can be opened without having to remove it.

And since it is an electronic Fob.. and not just a key.... whatever you go with needs to be fully weatherproof as well. OR... you could just have door key cut from the one hidden inside the Fob.. and then just put the fob into a faraday pouch an store it inside the vehicle.. and just put the cut key (which will lock/unlock the driver door) in any hide box you like (no faraday required) ....and then you don't need full weatherproofing.. just normal dirt protection.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts