Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter September's CR-V of the month Challenge HERE
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I often go to a not too crowded beach by myself and get in the salt water of the gulf of mexico. I live in a relatively safe and crime free area but lately it is getting less so and I am thinking that it is really stupid to leave my car fob and keys in my towel bag on the beach while I'm in the water. Duhhhh.

I keep my wallet causally hidden at the bottom of a box in my locked car, 2022 CRV. I keep my smartphone in the same towel bag on the beach. Same stupidity. Duhhh. Looking for the best strategy:

1) First, stop taking my regular wallet with me. Just take some cash and drivers license, and maybe not even the real drivers license, just use a paper copy of the front and back side of the drivers license. The trips to the beach are dedicated trips and I don't need to carry the credit card for purchases a long the way. A little cash should suffice. That minimal wallet can be minorly hidden, tucked in some old clothes in case somebody did break into the locked CRV.

2) The smartphone. I don't really need it on the beach so I can leave that in the car too. Making sure that when preparing to get out of the car and head to the beach that I turn the ringer down so that it doesn't ring and alert anyone passing by that there is a phone in the unattended car. Seems like a good habit that can be learned. (In fact I should have been doing that when I took it in the towel bag to the beach). Then hide it in the CRV similarly to the way the wallet is hidden.

3) Now we get to the key fob. I don't have any other keys that I need to have with me. Nothing is attached to the key fob. It is on a keychain with a carabiner clip for occasionally clipping it. Two choices:
3a) remove the metal key from the fob. Before exiting the CRV place the electronic part of the fob in a Faraday bag and hide it in the same way that the wallet and phone have been hidden. Then exit the car and lock the car with the metal key. Take the metal key to the beach and securely attach it to my bathing suit so that I can take just the metal key into the water. It's salt water and eventually that nice chrome key is going to get corroded, but that is kind of minor.
or
3b) Don't remove the metal key. Just take the fob with me and put it in a water proof fob case that attaches to the bathing suit. I'm thinking maybe this is the better solution since that way I am always in control of the fob. I just need to make sure that the fob case is really waterproof, and similar to 3a it securely attaches to my bathing suit. It seems that at least some the small fob cases available do a very good job of keeping the fob dry.

How do others approach this problem? Do you get a bag big enough to take everything - wallet, phone and fob, into the water? Or some other strategy and concerns? I read reviews of the bags on amazon and there are always some people mentioning that their bag leaked. Seems like every product has a few of those complaints. I kind of don't want a big bag around my waist or on my arm or leg while I'm in the water. A small fob case attached inside my bathing suit pocket seems ideal.

or maybe this is even better: leave the phone in the car, in Do Not Disturb and put my drivers license, credit card, cash and the fob is something like this that attaches to a clip inside a bathing suit pocket.
Camera accessory Gadget Digital camera Cameras & optics Font

anyway, I'm open to suggestions. (my wife suggests, just use a couple ziplock baggies.)

·
Premium Member
2017 CRV Touring - Pearl White w Black Interior
9,947 Posts
I like the ziploc idea with just the fob and ID.
To be clear, you will need an actual water proof pouch, designed for keys, phones, etc. Lots to choose from on Amazon.

I say this only so nobody thinks a regular consumer brand ziplock bag is going to be reliably waterproof. Sometimes they are, sometimes they have a minor break at the corner seams and will slowly leak.

·
Premium Member
2017 CRV Touring - Pearl White w Black Interior
9,947 Posts
I use a waterproof pouch large enough to hold my keys, money, ID, credit cards, etc (minus the actual wallet). I always use one that has a neck strap and I keep it around my neck and under my shirt except when in the water, and has a little flotation bladder on it so if it drops in the water it does not sink.

For beach visits.... the waterproof pouches not only keep everything dry, they keep everything sand free as well. (y)

·
Registered
243 Posts
When we go to Destin, we do sort of like your wife suggests ... all those types of things go inside a sealed sandwich bag inside another small bag like what is shown. Then I discretely bury it a few inches into the sand under a corner of our beach towel. So far no problems with that approach, knock on wood. I always keep an eye on our beach towel anyway as I don't want someone helping themselves to the wife's beach bag, or one of the kid's beach toys. Otherwise, williamsji neck strap idea is good one. I've seen several people using one at beaches, in parks, etc.

And as long as I'm on this topic, I'll mention 2 other precautions I take. I put an extra pair of eye glasses in the glove box ... my prescription safety glasses in my case. A few years ago while walking knee deep in the surf my eye glasses accidentally fell off. It was amazing how fast they disappeared into the sand under water simply falling. I was in a panic for 5 minutes digging in the sand before finding them, fearing I'd have to drive my car 500 miles back home without my glasses. I've since bought frame straps for use in other occasions, like when out on boat. Lastly I also stick enough cash for gasoline under the spare tire in case I lose my wallet, or it gets stolen while on vacation. That actually happened to my dad years ago. Fortunately mom had enough $$ in her purse to get us home.

·
Registered
2019 Honda CR-V LX AWD 2.4L
340 Posts
Leave the fob at home and you don't have to deal with a faraday cage or a plastic bag leaking causing electronic failure of your fob. Use paper towels and 2-3 ziplock bags to protect the metal key when it's in your swimsuit pocket while you're in the water. If it leaks a little, so what, just wipe it off with the paper towel (or get a clean paper towel from somewhere else if it's soaked) and prevent the salt from staying on the key and penetrating the metal. The reason to wrap it in a paper towel first before putting it in the ziplock baggies is because if the bags do actually leak, the paper towel can serve as sort of a filter to somewhat reduce the amount of salt that gets to the key.

It's prolonged exposure to corrosive materials that causes major damage over the course of time. If your metal key gets soaked in salt water for 15 minutes and then you clean it off right away, I don't think you'll notice any long-term damage. Maybe it won't be as shiny anymore. If you feel uncomfortable with only one key, take the other metal key and hide it inside the vehicle somewhere. The first key will certainly unlock the door, and if it's unable to start the engine, you have the hidden second metal key for that. Leave both fobs at home.

As for the DL, credit cards, and phone, I would bring my real DL since technically you need it to drive lawfully, and it's one of the few traffic laws I actually respect, LOL.😁 😇 It's hard plastic so you can keep it in your pocket in the water. Credit cards, that depends on if you still like cash or checks. You can easily leave cash in the car, but if the car gets broken into or stolen, your cash is gone. If you leave it on the beach, it can be gone. If you bring it in the water, now your pockets are getting rather full and your money is likely getting wet, even inside a ziplock bag. If it were me, and I realize you're not me, so don't take this as advice, but just a suggestion to consider. Take your DL, one CC, and one metal key, leave your phone and cash at home, and take a bit of a risk of being out in the world, away from home, without the ability to communicate instantly with anyone not in your immediate vicinity. You might like it.

·
Registered
2020 Touring Hybrid
1,922 Posts
I bring nothing valuable to the beach except phone, iPad and speaker. Always stay at a property within walking distance, so nothing else needed. Also, am never alone, and stuff generally never gets left unattended. I also always try to go to a beach where other people have better stuff.

·
Super Moderator
2021 CRV EX-L
1,153 Posts
Leave the fob at home and you don't have to deal with a faraday cage or a plastic bag leaking causing electronic failure of your fob. Use paper towels and 2-3 ziplock bags to protect the metal key when it's in your swimsuit pocket while you're in the water. If it leaks a little, so what, just wipe it off with the paper towel (or get a clean paper towel from somewhere else if it's soaked) and prevent the salt from staying on the key and penetrating the metal. The reason to wrap it in a paper towel first before putting it in the ziplock baggies is because if the bags do actually leak, the paper towel can serve as sort of a filter to somewhat reduce the amount of salt that gets to the key.

It's prolonged exposure to corrosive materials that causes major damage over the course of time. If your metal key gets soaked in salt water for 15 minutes and then you clean it off right away, I don't think you'll notice any long-term damage. Maybe it won't be as shiny anymore. If you feel uncomfortable with only one key, take the other metal key and hide it inside the vehicle somewhere. The first key will certainly unlock the door, and if it's unable to start the engine, you have the hidden second metal key for that. Leave both fobs at home.

As for the DL, credit cards, and phone, I would bring my real DL since technically you need it to drive lawfully, and it's one of the few traffic laws I actually respect, LOL.😁 😇 It's hard plastic so you can keep it in your pocket in the water. Credit cards, that depends on if you still like cash or checks. You can easily leave cash in the car, but if the car gets broken into or stolen, your cash is gone. If you leave it on the beach, it can be gone. If you bring it in the water, now your pockets are getting rather full and your money is likely getting wet, even inside a ziplock bag. If it were me, and I realize you're not me, so don't take this as advice, but just a suggestion to consider. Take your DL, one CC, and one metal key, leave your phone and cash at home, and take a bit of a risk of being out in the world, away from home, without the ability to communicate instantly with anyone not in your immediate vicinity. You might like it.
He has a 2022. How is he supposed to start the car without a FOB?

·
Registered
340 Posts
You hold the fob right next to the start button and it will start.
So the removable metal key inside the fob is only for unlocking the door and glovebox? How does the valet work? You take the metal key and leave only the fob with the attendant with the glove box locked?

Is the 2022 push start and fobs any different than 2017-21 configuration?

I'm learning all this because I've only driven EX and higher trims for a couple test drives, never had one for an extended test run. My LX doesn't have the push button, and my previous vehicle with a smart fob was a Nissan that could be started with the metal key only without the fob present at all. But it was unique because it had a traditional ignition with a key hole, not a push button. It could be started with only the metal key, or only the fob, but if the fob battery died and the metal key wasn't available to insert into the ignition's key hole, the fob alone would not allow for movement of the ignition. With or without the metal key present, a fob with working battery would allow the ignition to be moved to start the engine without the metal key being inserted in the key hole. I actually miss that more than I miss any other feature on that Nissan. It was totally the best of all worlds.

·
Registered
2020 Touring Hybrid
1,922 Posts
So the removable metal key inside the fob is only for unlocking the door and glovebox? How does the valet work? You take the metal key and leave only the fob with the attendant with the glove box locked?

I'm learning all this because I've only driven EX and higher trims for a couple test drives, never had one for an extended test run. My LX doesn't have the push button, and my previous vehicle with a smart fob was a Nissan that could be started with the metal key only without the fob present at all. But it was unique because it had a traditional ignition with a key hole, not a push button. It could be started with only the metal key, or only the fob, but if the fob battery died and the metal key wasn't available to insert into the ignition's key hole, the fob alone would not allow for movement of the ignition. With or without the metal key present, a fob with working battery would allow the ignition to be moved to start the engine without the metal key being inserted in the key hole. I actually miss that more than I miss any other feature on that Nissan. It was totally the best of all worlds.
Not sure on your LX, mine has no place to use a metal key for starting the car, only a start button.

·
The. Admin. Istrator.
11,272 Posts
All Honda CR-V's (5th Gen) the world over, which have push-Start buttons are the same and do not have a key slot to start the car.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I often go to a not too crowded beach by myself and get in the salt water of the gulf of mexico. I live in a relatively safe and crime free area but lately it is getting less so and I am thinking that it is really stupid to leave my car fob and keys in my towel bag on the beach while I'm in the water. Duhhhh.

I keep my wallet causally hidden at the bottom of a box in my locked car, 2022 CRV. I keep my smartphone in the same towel bag on the beach. Same stupidity. Duhhh. Looking for the best strategy:

1) First, stop taking my regular wallet with me. Just take some cash and drivers license, and maybe not even the real drivers license, just use a paper copy of the front and back side of the drivers license. The trips to the beach are dedicated trips and I don't need to carry the credit card for purchases a long the way. A little cash should suffice. That minimal wallet can be minorly hidden, tucked in some old clothes in case somebody did break into the locked CRV.

2) The smartphone. I don't really need it on the beach so I can leave that in the car too. Making sure that when preparing to get out of the car and head to the beach that I turn the ringer down so that it doesn't ring and alert anyone passing by that there is a phone in the unattended car. Seems like a good habit that can be learned. (In fact I should have been doing that when I took it in the towel bag to the beach). Then hide it in the CRV similarly to the way the wallet is hidden.

3) Now we get to the key fob. I don't have any other keys that I need to have with me. Nothing is attached to the key fob. It is on a keychain with a carabiner clip for occasionally clipping it. Two choices:
3a) remove the metal key from the fob. Before exiting the CRV place the electronic part of the fob in a Faraday bag and hide it in the same way that the wallet and phone have been hidden. Then exit the car and lock the car with the metal key. Take the metal key to the beach and securely attach it to my bathing suit so that I can take just the metal key into the water. It's salt water and eventually that nice chrome key is going to get corroded, but that is kind of minor.
or
3b) Don't remove the metal key. Just take the fob with me and put it in a water proof fob case that attaches to the bathing suit. I'm thinking maybe this is the better solution since that way I am always in control of the fob. I just need to make sure that the fob case is really waterproof, and similar to 3a it securely attaches to my bathing suit. It seems that at least some the small fob cases available do a very good job of keeping the fob dry.

How do others approach this problem? Do you get a bag big enough to take everything - wallet, phone and fob, into the water? Or some other strategy and concerns? I read reviews of the bags on amazon and there are always some people mentioning that their bag leaked. Seems like every product has a few of those complaints. I kind of don't want a big bag around my waist or on my arm or leg while I'm in the water. A small fob case attached inside my bathing suit pocket seems ideal.

or maybe this is even better: leave the phone in the car, in Do Not Disturb and put my drivers license, credit card, cash and the fob is something like this that attaches to a clip inside a bathing suit pocket.
View attachment 157642
anyway, I'm open to suggestions.

All good advice, except leaving the fob at home. I need the fob to start the 2022 CRV.
In that case, never mind anything I said.
Today I turned off the phone and left the phone and wallet in the car and used two thin plastic grocery bags to wrap the fob, one bag inside the other tightly wrapped, and stuck the wrapped fob in the pocket of the bathing suit. But I made sure to attach it to the draw cord of my bathing suit before putting it in the pocket. Glad I did that, because after a minute in the water I found the bag had floated out of my bathing suit front pocket, and would have floated away otherwise.

·
Registered
340 Posts
All good advice, except leaving the fob at home. I need the fob to start the 2022 CRV.

Today I turned off the phone and left the phone and wallet in the car and used two thin plastic grocery bags to wrap the fob, one bag inside the other tightly wrapped, and stuck the wrapped fob in the pocket of the bathing suit. But I made sure to attach it to the draw cord of my bathing suit before putting it in the pocket. Glad I did that, because after a minute in the water I found the bag had floated out of my bathing suit front pocket, and would have floated away otherwise.
Be careful with those grocery bags! :LOL:

Hide a fob with the spare tire. If you really need it to be in a faraday bag, do it, but toss it from the back seat into the cargo area. Don't be seen leaving anything in the "trunk" area of your CR-V. Make use of your privacy glass.

Take the metal key with you into the ocean. Use real ziplock bags for stuff you keep in your pockets, not ordinary grocery or fruit bags. They may or may not leak, but they won't float away.

You'll be fine. Enjoy the water.

·
Registered
296 Posts

or

View attachment 157642
anyway, I'm open to suggestions. (my wife suggests, just use a couple ziplock baggies.)
I never keep my fob attached to the key. Not anywhere or any time, not even at home

1 - 20 of 24 Posts