Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
901 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 98 crv key is sticking in the ignition. It gets jammed and is hard to rotate it to get it to start the car. I see online that the ignition lock assembly is 300 dollars. Can I clean my old lock assembly with wd 40.

·
Premium Member
430 Posts
Might also want to check the number of keys & other things you have on your key ring. The added weight of those can cause problems inside the ignition switch, too.

·
Registered
3,916 Posts
I think you can replace just the cylinder and not the whole ignition lock assembly. Do a search in this forum and online.
It shouldn't cost much.

Buffalo4
PS:Also research on how to lubricate and clean that switch.

·
Registered
901 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Another question. If I replace the lock cylinder with a new one, will the new keys (that came with the new cylinder) work with my doors? Or will I have to use my old key to unlock the door and start the car with the new key?

·
Registered
46 Posts
New keys that come with the new cylinder will not work with your old locks. Unless you ask a locksmith to change the pins inside the tumbler to accept your old keys. In this case it will make your car less secure because some pins will be removed to accept your old keys.

·
Premium Member
3,666 Posts
New keys that come with the new cylinder will not work with your old locks. Unless you ask a locksmith to change the pins inside the tumbler to accept your old keys. In this case it will make your car less secure because some pins will be removed to accept your old keys.
When done correctly the new cylinder will have the same number of tumblers as the old one. A good locksmith will install all new tumblers instead of reusing the old ones.

The CRV cylinders are actually fairly easy to recode.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts