Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got an '01 cr-v lx 5 spd. I'm having an issue w/ keyless entry that I haven't seen mentioned in threads on keyless entry on the forum.

I bought Honda keyless entry fobs for it in '07 from H and A. Had no issues w/ them until earlier this year when both keyless remotes quit working.

I've put new baterries in both remotes, the red LED on both lights up whenever lock /unlock/ or hatch buttons are pressed. I've tried 3 separate times to get the car to enter program mode.

When sitting in the car and cycling through the instructions of turning the ignition to "on" (pos II) and "off" (PosI) I can hear a slight "clunk" or click sound when I press the lock button the keyless remote. However on the 4th cycle it does not enter the programming mode. When I first programmed the keyless fobs ~ 3yrs. ago it was very straighforward and the locks definitely cycled through a lock/unlock cycle just like the instructions said it should.

I've had not other lock issues. When locking the car at the drivers side door w/ the key all 4 doors lock when the key is turned to lock the drivers door. The interior power lock button (silver) on the drivers side door works fine. All 4 doors will lock and unlock when the button is operated.

Would a bad or failing lock actuator keep the system from entering program mode? Any other thoughts?

Just curious as many keyless entry problems seem to track back to bad lock actuators. My driver side window regulator just failed, so I'm going to open up the door this weekend to replace it. Dealer estimate was about $600 for the motor and regulator (I'm in Seattle). I'm willing to spend half a day or more on it to save $400 -$500. It would be nice to troubleshoot the lock issue and replace the actuator if needed at the same time if i have the door alrady opened up.

Thanks for any advice on what else to try.

·
Registered
300 Posts
it can be quite a few different things causing it.

When you open the door with the key in does the chime go off? There is a little switch inside the ignition that if that is bad the remotes won't operate the locks.

When you open any of the doors does the dome light come on with each of them and then go off properly when each is closed? If it is getting a wrong signal from one doors switch it will cause it not to work.

If the back hatch glass isn't closed properly it will also cause a problem.

When you go through the procedure after "On" when you hit the "lock button" before turning the key "off' you hear a sound from the locks? They shouldn't make a sound at that point because the key is in the on position. Only on the 4th time should they make a sound. I'm not sure what would cause that to happen.

A trick that sometimes works is to stand outside the vehicle with all doors and the hatch closed then hit the lock button on one remote six times quickly.

here's a bit Honda had on the keyless system:

-Trevor
http://www.HandA-Accessories.com/crv.html

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the suggestions.

1. The door chime does sound if the door is opened w/ the key in the ignition.

2. Dome light turns on / off properly when any of the doors, or back hatch is opened.

3. The sound I hear when pressing the "lock" button when cycling between on / off positions of the ignition to get into programming mode seems to be a faint "clunk" It seems to coincide w/ the check engine light turning off in the instrument panel. The sound seems to be coming from behind the dash on the passenger side above the glove box. Maybe a fuel pump, or injector priming ?????? It may coincide with some other start up procedure, but it does seem to happen just as I push the button on the keyless fob. I haven't noticed it any other time I'm just starting up the car.

I tried the trick of standing outside the car and hitting the lock button 6 times quickly w/ no results.

4. Both the trunk/ hatch release and panic buttons do not work on either of my keyless fobs. I'm still stumped. Let me know if there are any other likely issues, or if you can think of other suggestions.

Thx-

·
Registered
4 Posts
My daughters 87 CRV has the same issue. It will not go into programming mode. Could it be due to the passenger front door not functioning with the power locks? It will only open manually.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts