Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am on my fourth Honda, third CRV. I purchased a New 2017 CRV with turbo and Nav from Krenzen and despite having zero issues with my previous three, this one has been nothing BUT trouble.

The first year I had it, it would not start five times. Honda told me to have it towed each time to invoke the lemon law. I don't have that much time. I brought it in in 2018, they did some update with the air conditioning they said, and I had no issues with it starting until two weeks ago. I have left it for up to a week without starting it once, Sometimes I let it sit for two days now, but not more, only 18,000 miles on it. It sits in a heated garage.

Krenzen will NOT do the software update for this because they said I don't fall in the right VIN number. They will check again for parasitic leaks, but that's it. They said my battery is old...well it wasn't when the car was new and I had the same issue...they said I don't drive it enough...it's a newer car and I haven't driven much the whole time.

What I want to know is...what other options are there, what else should I ask them when I take it in next week, they will be doing the bare minimum so I have to do my own research...SOMETHING is definitely wrong with the car...it started when I got it... Krenzen is horrible service...they are a "no" place, an excuses place...I am attempting to avoid having to drive to Ashland WI where the service is outstanding.

Thanks

·
Super Moderator - How may I help?
2,850 Posts
Welcome! Moving this to the Gen 5 area for better responses.

·
Super Moderator - How may I help?
2,850 Posts
What is that? I am hoping to reach those who have the 2017, that seems to be a "lemon" year !
2017 is the first model year of the Generation 5 CR-Vs. Moving this post to the Gen 5 arear will attract other owners with the same vehicle.

Reactions: snow nerd

·
Registered
2017 CR-V EX-L AWD, Built in Ohio.
219 Posts
So the car was fixed until recently? Using my tech skills I would replace the battery. These things are very sensitive to drain on the battery. Also note the battery is tiny. I wouldn't relate a problem when you got the vehicle to the problem now. Too much time has passed. I do run a battery tender on mine from time to time.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Excuse my Brit ignorance, but what is this?
I had to look it up because I didn't know what that word was either. It appears to be the name of a Honda dealership in Duluth, Minnesota.

I think what snow nerd was trying to say, is that if you ever find yourself in need of a new Honda, don't get it from Krenzen Honda. Make the extra 1-1/2 hour drive to Ashland Honda Toyota instead. 👍

·
Super Moderator
1997, 2002, 2017 my expertese lies there
3,537 Posts
You want help. this is a typing forum, we tell our story, and hope someone comes to the rescue:

Up to or over150 mile trip you do not want to do Mills Honda in Minnisota, to another Dealer why?

Are you saying you got a problem, or the battery? Sorry I got Coffee coming. I been there to those two States, Just up the road is Bety's Pie , goes good with the Coffee, Dam keyboard

·
Registered
2007 CRV
273 Posts
Bought brand new in 2017 or 2018?
Is the warranty still in effect?
Was the no start ... a no crank, no start or a crank, no start?
Assuming it was a no crank, no start the first time, did the dealership replace the battery then?
What if anything was done??
Good documentation (getting it towed and keeping receipts)
could have gotten the lemon law invoked and you would have a new car??

·
Super Moderator
3,537 Posts
did not start five times in the purchase of 2018. They did the Oil Dilution recall. The car was given back in working order, What date was that?

the last two weeks you did not drive for a week's time and the car is acting up with the signs of a weak battery? and you called the shop, they told you, from the records your battery is old and need for a replacement? By the shops record.

You have an Auto shop of some sort like Walmart, you can simply go right in with the old battery, like for like, or get the updated version noted on the site here, if you chose to bring in the battery later for the core exchange, you can,

You will need some tools, if you never done a battery,just ask.

·
The Enforcer
2,850 Posts
I had to look it up because I didn't know what that word was either. It appears to be the name of a Honda dealership in Duluth, Minnesota.

I think what snow nerd was trying to say, is that if you ever find yourself in need of a new Honda, don't get it from Krenzen Honda. Make the extra 1-1/2 hour drive to Ashland Honda Toyota instead. 👍
Thank you!

And noted! I shall duly avoid said outlet!! :p

·
Registered
2014 EX-L AWD
82 Posts
i was going to say, it's a battery. OP stated that he doesn't drive it much. with the smaller size battery, the ELD charging system, the cold weather up where they live, i am betting the battery. honda offers a warranty on the battery. you could have had that replaced. if still under warranty, you might still be able too. if not, get another battery and the first night, put it on the charger. give it a full charge. batteries sitting on the shelf can sit there for months. Costco puts a sticker on their batteries as to when they received it or put it on the shelf. i don't know which it is specifically, but when i went to get my replacement, i looked for the most recent one. there was 3 months of stickers on display. i stayed away from the oldest ones.

afterwards, get a battery maintainer ($20-$40) and use it when not going to drive your car for awhile. it'll maintain the battery to a full charge for you.

·
Super Moderator
3,537 Posts
The Costco Battery I got, like said, will be heading back when I am up to it, each day it dies, and its got mileage on it so they are not the best bats sold, Interstate

·
Everything in Moderation
2006 CR-V EX, 5MT
9,917 Posts
The Costco Battery I got, like said, will be heading back when I am up to it, each day it dies, and its got mileage on it so they are not the best bats sold, Interstate
You say you are planning to return an Interstate battery you got from Costco? Because it dies each day? :cry:

I've had good luck with Interstates as you know, I still buy the TESTED 'reconditioned' discount batteries from the Interstate warehouse. Only had ONE last less than 5 years. 💪

·
Super Moderator
3,537 Posts
You say you are planning to return an Interstate battery you got from Costco? Because it dies each day? :cry:

I've had good luck with Interstates as you know, I still buy the TESTED 'reconditioned' discount batteries from the Interstate warehouse. Only had ONE last less than 5 years. 💪
Correct.

not all are perfect models, Lol.

Reactions: Carbuff2

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
So the car was fixed until recently? Using my tech skills I would replace the battery. These things are very sensitive to drain on the battery. Also note the battery is tiny. I wouldn't relate a problem when you got the vehicle to the problem now. Too much time has passed. I do run a battery tender on mine from time to time.
Do you have a 2017 CRV that had the drain all the time?

·
Registered
35 Posts
I am on my fourth Honda, third CRV. I purchased a New 2017 CRV with turbo and Nav from Krenzen and despite having zero issues with my previous three, this one has been nothing BUT trouble.

The first year I had it, it would not start five times. Honda told me to have it towed each time to invoke the lemon law. I don't have that much time. I brought it in in 2018, they did some update with the air conditioning they said, and I had no issues with it starting until two weeks ago. I have left it for up to a week without starting it once, Sometimes I let it sit for two days now, but not more, only 18,000 miles on it. It sits in a heated garage.

Krenzen will NOT do the software update for this because they said I don't fall in the right VIN number. They will check again for parasitic leaks, but that's it. They said my battery is old...well it wasn't when the car was new and I had the same issue...they said I don't drive it enough...it's a newer car and I haven't driven much the whole time.

What I want to know is...what other options are there, what else should I ask them when I take it in next week, they will be doing the bare minimum so I have to do my own research...SOMETHING is definitely wrong with the car...it started when I got it... Krenzen is horrible service...they are a "no" place, an excuses place...I am attempting to avoid having to drive to Ashland WI where the service is outstanding.

Thanks
I too have dealt with the dealership mentioned. My '17 ExL had battery issues around 18months, car would start, but brake pedal would kick back immediately after starting (symptom of low voltage to brake controller). I drove two blocks over to Sams Club and bought a new battery for under $100 that had greater CCA than factory battery. I installed the battery myself and strangely the factory battery I removed had a manufacturer date of late 2017, but I bought vehicle new early 2017... Haven't had issues since. Best of luck.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Bought brand new in 2017 or 2018?
Is the warranty still in effect?
Was the no start ... a no crank, no start or a crank, no start?
Assuming it was a no crank, no start the first time, did the dealership replace the battery then?
What if anything was done??
Good documentation (getting it towed and keeping receipts)
could have gotten the lemon law invoked and you would have a new car??
Bought new in 2017 warranty in effect, no start at all, dealership is useless, had to get it towed 7 times according to Honda to get the lemon law.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I too have dealt with the dealership mentioned. My '17 ExL had battery issues around 18months, car would start, but brake pedal would kick back immediately after starting (symptom of low voltage to brake controller). I drove two blocks over to Sams Club and bought a new battery for under $100 that had greater CCA than factory battery. I installed the battery myself and strangely the factory battery I removed had a manufacturer date of late 2017, but I bought vehicle new early 2017... Haven't had issues since. Best of luck.
Can I ask what size and type of battery you got? I am thinking I need to do this.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts