Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Quick back story as I replaced all shocks and struts on my wife’s 2008 CRV with 200k miles on it. I went with the all in one strut and spring package by KYB for the fronts. I also replaced both front sway bar linkages. As the originals had torn boots.

Well now I have a creaking noise after the vehicle sits. The noise is only for the first 15-60 seconds. After a few turns it’s gone. Some times after sitting 15mins or sometimes after sitting overnight the noise returns. She hears it most as I travel for work and can’t be home every morning. I re torqued both sides with the vehicle weight on the ground and had an alignment done. So it’s all within spec now.

I reached out to KYB and basically was referred to their warranty policy.
So now my options are
-Return them back to Autozone for a warranty replacement
-Try and use grease or white lithium spray into the bearing plate
-Try and return them and reuse the oem springs with new struts/oem bearing plate. If I go this route I don’t know which struts to purchase KYB? MONROE?

Has anyone installed OEM bearing plates onto the KYB quick strut/spring sets?

·
Registered
2007 Honda CR-V EX AWD
25 Posts
Had this same exact problem. Check out this thread I posted in. Hope it helps save you time and hassle that I had to go through.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you and yes I have checked out your post. What was the exact outcome?
You used the Monroe struts from the kit but used Honda springs, bearing plate and spring cushion? The noise never went away?
I really want to avoid using the Honda springs as of now only my passenger side is making the noise. If possible I want to avoid going back into the driver side.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Quick back story as I replaced all shocks and struts on my wife’s 2008 CRV with 200k miles on it. I went with the all in one strut and spring package by KYB for the fronts. I also replaced both front sway bar linkages. As the originals had torn boots.

Well now I have a creaking noise after the vehicle sits. The noise is only for the first 15-60 seconds. After a few turns it’s gone. Some times after sitting 15mins or sometimes after sitting overnight the noise returns. She hears it most as I travel for work and can’t be home every morning. I re torqued both sides with the vehicle weight on the ground and had an alignment done. So it’s all within spec now.

I reached out to KYB and basically was referred to their warranty policy.
So now my options are
-Return them back to Autozone for a warranty replacement
-Try and use grease or white lithium spray into the bearing plate
-Try and return them and reuse the oem springs with new struts/oem bearing plate. If I go this route I don’t know which struts to purchase KYB? MONROE?

Has anyone installed OEM bearing plates onto the KYB quick strut/spring sets?
I have a similar issue. Like Beni, the coils are different from the KYB to the OEM, if you did what Beni did and replace the coil from the OEM, you should not have the creak anymore.

I got rid of my OEM struts so I am living with the noise now.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Has anyone tried the Duralast brand of spring/strut combo?
LS53-90601L and LS53-90601R

I have a similar issue. Like Beni, the coils are different from the KYB to the OEM, if you did what Beni did and replace the coil from the OEM, you should not have the creak anymore.

I got rid of my OEM struts so I am living with the noise now.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I had bad luck with Autozone Dura-don't-last, specifically the water pump. I would stay away from them. Although I do have Duralast parts for my rear caliper because I couldn't justify spending the money for OEM parts.

·
Registered
2008 Honda CR-V
127 Posts
I had just asked the question about who makes most dependable Quick Strut. After reading this and the link supplied by Beni, I have come to conclusion that quick struts are not for me. Looks like the problem is in the quick strut spring, and it seems as though all of them have noise problems. So, I will be buying a spring compressor tool. Thanks for that Beni. Another link I found was this. Do not buy KYB Strut-Plus

·
Registered
2007 Honda CR-V EX AWD
25 Posts
You're welcome!
Thank you and yes I have checked out your post. What was the exact outcome?
You used the Monroe struts from the kit but used Honda springs, bearing plate and spring cushion? The noise never went away?
I really want to avoid using the Honda springs as of now only my passenger side is making the noise. If possible I want to avoid going back into the driver side.
I used kyb struts with honda springs, honda strut mount and seat. The noise went away after doing that.

·
Registered
2007 Honda CR-V Tafetta
37 Posts
I also spent some time trying to find a squeaky noise post-quik strut install, the noise was like a squeak that matched the vertical movement of the vehicle. I thought I had a bad KYB top hat that other car forums had spoken about. I removed all my struts to install an HRG lift kit. When all the struts were reinstalled, I had it down better how to keep the struts better aligned, had more issue in the rear do to metal tabs inside the strut wells that I couldn't see. I bent these tabs out of the way and 30k later, no noises have returned. Other than a clunky ball joint that just got swapped out today.

·
Super Moderator
2018 EX-L fwd
1,464 Posts
I will be buying a spring compressor tool. Thanks for that Beni.
Check around your local independent garages. They may do your spring compression & replacement with their equipment. Yes, I know that if used properly, you can DIY spring compressions. Having the garage perform that task takes away the possibility of operator error & the resulting damage to your physical being & to your domicile / vehicle.

·
Registered
2007 Honda CR-V Tafetta
37 Posts
I don't think it's as dangerous if you choose to buy a better tool designed for more safe operation. If you aren't going to be using it often, free rental is available at most popular US auto parts stores.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts