Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I need some new front struts.

What do you guys/gals in here prefer...KYB or Monroe...? Quality, durability, longevity etc.

Also...Is Rockauto a pretty safe/reputable online parts store...?

I have read and saw some negative reviews for Rockauto so I am a little hesitant to buy some struts/shocks from them. I also went on their website and the site looks old/outdated and a little shady.

I want to get the struts by the end of the month because when I went to Rockauto's website...I saw that both KYB and Monroe are having discount promo rebates for specific models and they end at the end of the month.

Also...Does anyone know if the KYB and Monroe Strut Promo Rebates cycle/roll back every now and than...? Is it monthly, annually seasonally...? Just in case I can't get them by the end of the month I will have to probably wait until the next promo rebate rolls around.

Also...If Rockauto is a no go...What are some of my best options for buying Struts...? Should I go online...Amazon, Ebay, 3rd Party Parts Store? Or should I just go ahead and stop by my local Autozone, O'Reilly or Pep Boys store...?

Help...?!

·
Registered
198 Posts
Both are good brands. As far as RA....I have purchased from them in the past. My only issue is the shipping charge.....which most of the time is not cost effective...thus I find buying my parts elsewhere.

Sent from my mobile device

·
Everything in Moderation
2006 CR-V EX, 5MT
12,578 Posts
You can always always ALWAYS find a 5% promo code for Rock Auto with a SEARCH online. That can offset the shipping somewhat.

BUT the above posters are right. It ALWAYS pays to shop around. For example, AutoZone and Advance usually have online discounts of 20 - 25%. BONUS if you find a local store that has the parts you want in stock!

Just try and stick with name brands. Our Forum is rife with stories of aftermarket parts that don't measure up.
\
With shocks/struts. Generally, I would go with KYB...but on our wife's van, KYBs were weak. Ended up with Gabriels.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I use RA frequently, never had a problem. Never had to return anything either. My experience with struts is this, I have an 04 Element I put Monroe quick struts on 40k miles ago .... Not satisfied at all.

·
Premium Member
2,694 Posts
I did two sets of Monroe QuickStruts on our '09s, no issues.

Even with shipping, Rock Auto was cheaper than everywhere else online. Only one of our big chain auto parts stores carried the Monroe QuickStruts and the equivalent price after tax would have been almost $800. So even with 25% off, that still put them ~$120-$150 more than Rock Auto. The only other online parts dealer that came close was CarID.

I needed the pre-assembled struts since they had all the mounting hardware and bellows, plus new springs--loading my own would have cost almost as much once I bought all the hardware separately, and I still would have had the old springs and deal with spring compressors and all the other details. This took a lot of time and grief out of the job.

Here's a 5% discount code for Rock Auto: 9130832784979891 .

On one CR-V, the stabilizer bar links came off with no issue. On the other, I had to sacrifice the fronts since the hex in the end of the links stripped out. (For the rear, I simply dropped the whole stabilizer bar, as I had new bushings to replace back there; otherwise I would have replaced those also.) So you might want to count on getting new stabilizer bar links while you have everything apart.

Since the new struts are a little taller for the rear, I also had to undo the top control arm--it's just one more bolt, no big deal. :) Using the jack to maneuver the suspension up or down was very helpful both front and rear.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I've used RA for a variety of parts and have had no problems. IMHO it comes back to smart shopping and thinking ahead.
If I plan out a wrenching project then I have time to comparison shop and get all the components assembled.
The convenience of running to the local NAPA usually trades off a little of the savings, but you can't really place
an online order for a week out when the vehicle is up on the jack stands.

I've never had to return an item to RA so I can't speak to that.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I also have to do the front struts on my 09. The originals are still in there. I used Monroes QuickStruts in my Ford Explorer about 10K ago, one spring has already cracked and this truck hasn't been off road since the replacement.

Since I am soured on Monroes I was looking into the KYB's. I read good things about them but here's the problem, they only just started making front "Strut Plus" their version of the "Quick Strut" and they won't be available until the end of the year.

If, however, you're replacing just the shock, well, this point is moot.

·
Premium Member
2,694 Posts
That is why I couldn't go with KYB--their Strut Plus wasn't available. I could only find one of the two rears in stock nationwide, and the front two aren't available yet.

Time will tell on the Monroes. I had OESpectrum struts in the rear of our Acura and they worked fine. Having said that, I've broken original springs in two of my Hondas over the years--one in an Accord split in the middle, and the one in my '97 CR-V had a chunk of the bottom break off.

·
Registered
2009 CR-V EX
98 Posts
I've had to return one part to RA in over 10 years. They had me answer some questions online, about what was wrong with the part(engine mount), fitment issue, was part defective, etc and then they decided to NOT have me ship the part back to them, just dispose of it. I was fully refunded the next day. All other parts I've ordered from them was the cheapest I could find and all worked well.
I've had bad results with Monroe struts as well. KYB or OEM for my 09 V, even though I did have to change just the rear strut cartridges, because of non-availability of KYB quick struts.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I've considered changing just the cartridges but seems like a lot of work to not do the whole thing. I'd need a spring compressor, right?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts