Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2018 CR-V (Touring)

I have read the manual more than a few times and I am still confused about the differences between the Lane Keeping Assist System (P 501) and the Load Departure Mitigation System (P 497).
They both seem to provide similar services.

I was wondering if someone might be able to explain, in plane simple language, what the differences are.

Thanks

·
Registered
491 Posts
The main difference is Road Departure Mitigation (RDM) may apply the brakes:
"If the system determines that its steering input is insufficient to keep your vehicle on the roadway, it may apply braking."
(You can change the touch screen setting so that RDM provides a warning only and does not operate the steering or brakes. You can also turn RDM off completely via the button on the lower left dash.)

LKAS controls the steering and provides a warning, but never applies the brakes.

·
Registered
545 Posts
LKAS is meant to help keep the vehicle in the center of the lane and can turn the steering wheel back towards the center.

RDM is meant to help keep the vehicle from going off the road

Sent from my LG-H700 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That, is a great summary.
The manual explains how to configure and enable each, so I knew how to do that.
But, I was unsure exactly, how they differed in purpose.

Thanks so very much.

·
Registered
2017 CRV Touring - Pearl White w Black Interior
4,882 Posts
That, is a great summary.
The manual explains how to configure and enable each, so I knew how to do that.
But, I was unsure exactly, how they differed in purpose.

Thanks so very much.
Allegedly... the vehicle is capable of applying brakes and steering and actualy pull the car safely to the side of the road and to a stop with RDM.. if the driver appears to have completely lost attention to the road.

I admit.. I have never put it to the test, and never intend to. :)

LKAS... stock from the factory.. to me.. does it's job.. but acts a bit drunken about it.. because it will usually meander a bit around the lane between the lines. I imagine it has much to do with the actual distance between the lines.. in that a wide lane gives the system more latitude to meander. So.. just be aware. Works really well though on gentle curves in my experience, which is likely where it is most needed to be honest.

I personally would like LKAS to be a little tighter in keeping the car centered in the lane because too many drivers around here also steer in what looks a bit drunken.. probably because they are texting or checking their phones while driving.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the additional information.
(That kind of information is just not written into the manual. That's why forums like this, and people like you (and the others who took the time to reply) are so appreciated.)

I've had the vehicle now for about three (3) weeks. (I still love it.)
I have been able to use RDM locally during that time.
And I'm comfortable with it.

My wife and I are about to travel a few hours to northern Wisconsin for the holidays.
This will be the perfect opportunity to experience LKAS.

Your information makes me feel much better about what I may expect to experience.

Thanks again and have a safe and enjoyable holiday.

Ray in Wisconsin

·
Registered
17 CRV EXL AWD, 14 CRV EXL AWD
2,166 Posts
Thanks for the additional information.
(That kind of information is just not written into the manual. That's why forums like this, and people like you (and the others who took the time to reply) are so appreciated.)

I've had the vehicle now for about three (3) weeks. (I still love it.)
I have been able to use RDM locally during that time.
And I'm comfortable with it.

My wife and I are about to travel a few hours to northern Wisconsin for the holidays.
This will be the perfect opportunity to experience LKAS.

Your information makes me feel much better about what I may expect to experience.

Thanks again and have a safe and enjoyable holiday.

Ray in Wisconsin
The booklet you received when you purchased the vehicle is not the owners manual but a quick reference guide. The paper back full manual (600+ pages) can be ordered online free and you can download a pdf version at this link.

·
Registered
545 Posts
Took my 2018 Touring to Iowa this last weekend.
Interesting how LKAS worked well on I29 north of Kansas City but not very well on I80 east of Omaha to Des Moines.

Conclusion: never drive in Iowa, particularly in December!

·
Registered
415 Posts
LKAS is meant to help keep the vehicle in the center of the lane and can turn the steering wheel back towards the center.

RDM is meant to help keep the vehicle from going off the road

In addition, the main difference is the RDM will vibrate the steering wheel.... so basically the RDM is to add or compliment the LKAS or vise versa (since RDM can always be on while the LKAS has to be turned on from the steering wheel.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts