Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Super large diameter tires = no go.

Edit: Picked this guy's brain some more, you can go "up to 2" over stock diameter before you start running into computer and diff. problems". This means that stock size tires are around 26.3" give or take. Some sites list 27" diameter tires as a stock option so take it for what its worth. Regardless this means that the max diameter tire on a G2 should be about 28.4" give or take.

I'm going to go with a 245/50/19 on the new RDX rims I've got coming in which is 28.5" and hotness.

Apparently going more than 2" over stock will jack up the AWD system and the diff.'s life will be shortened.

Oh, he also told me like a bazillion times to make sure that ALL tires are the same diameter, really should be the same brand and put on at the same time. He's had to void 6 warranties this year alone for people running different rim/tire combos on their CR-Vs. The latest was 20s out back and 19s up front. People are ****ing idiots to do that to an AWD system but it makes him money so lol.

·
Registered
233 Posts
well, if you have the 4WD model, it's very important that all the tires have the same diameter/circumference. having different sizes front and rear will cause the rear clutch to engage/disengage under circumstances that Honda didn't design for.
however, if you keep all the tires the same size, it's OK to move up or down a little. my vehicle came w/ 205/70r15 and i've been running 225/55r17 since late 2004. the 225s are slightly larger, but no big deal.

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Yeah my tech also said that. I've been picking his brain about it and he's going to do some research into it from the actual tech manuals. He said that a stock size for the 2002 is 215/70/15 which is a 27" diameter tire and Honda did build a safety net into it obviously for different manufacturing variances from the tire makers. So he's going to see exactly how big is safe for me tomorrow. I'll post up what I find here so we can all be confident that our wheel/tire setups aren't going to roast the rear diff.

I REALLY want to get this set of Acura 19x8 OEM rims on ridiculous atomic omfgwtf clearance from an online Acura dealer but I don't want to run too thin of a sidewall. If I can get a 50 sidewall under there I'm pulling the trigger. MAYBE a 45 if I can run a 245 wide...

·
Premium Member
3,666 Posts
Yeah my tech also said that. I've been picking his brain about it and he's going to do some research into it from the actual tech manuals. He said that a stock size for the 2002 is 215/75/15 which is a 27" diameter tire and Honda did build a safety net into it obviously for different manufacturing variances from the tire makers. So he's going to see exactly how big is safe for me tomorrow. I'll post up what I find here so we can all be confident that our wheel/tire setups aren't going to roast the rear diff.

I REALLY want to get this set of Acura 19x8 OEM rims on ridiculous atomic omfgwtf clearance from an online Acura dealer but I don't want to run too thin of a sidewall. If I can get a 50 sidewall under there I'm pulling the trigger. MAYBE a 45 if I can run a 245 wide...

He is off on the stock size. All North American market CRV's from 1997-2004 came from the factory with P205/70R15. Other markets may have a different size.

What norsepanda stated holds more water. Keep all four tires the the same size and make sure the diff fluid is maintained. We see very few diff failures on CRV's. The 1997's did have an issue but Honda fixed the problem years ago.

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
No, I'm saying that some tire shops list that 215/70/15 size as stock which is 27". Exaple is discount tire listing those 215s as a "plus zero" option. Regardless I found out from him today that you can go up to 2" over stock diameter "before you start running into computer and diff problems" so I CAN get a 50 sidewall under 19s which means I'm going for the stupid ridiculously cheap brand new OEM Acura RDX rims I've been eyeing. 19x8 rim, probably putting a 245/50/19 tire on it for a 28.5 diameter total which is right at 2" above stock. Will be nice to have a built in 1" lift haha.

Woot!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts