Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 250 Posts

·
Premium Member
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found that the Group 51 battery the came standard in my 2013 CR-V E-XL w/Nav was marginally sufficient. The other day I went to start it in 12 deg. F weather and it definitely turned over slower. Also, last summer I was playing the audio system while I was drying the CR-V (30 min) and there was not enough power left in the battery to start the engine.
After looking the existing battery and mounting hardware, I decided that there was enough room to mount a Group 24 size battery which is only slightly longer but considerably wider than the stock Group 51.
I purchased an Exide FP-AGM24F along with a battery base and cover for a 2013 Honda Odyssey. The stock battery hold-down clamp actually fits the new battery better.
Today I decided to test the new battery capacity with headlights on and stereo playing for an hour. The engine turned over quickly. I'm a happy camper!:)

Stock battery rating - 410 CCA (cold cranking amps)

New battery rating - 710 CCA

Stock battery
image.jpg

New battery base
image.jpg

New battery installed
image.jpg

·
Registered
845 Posts
I didn't have any complaints. At 4 years old the 07 battery was causing the starter to drag when really cold, the Interstate cured that although a new OE would have done the same.
Thanks.
I usually change my batteries at around between 4-5 years working fine or not.
I do like the Interstate's extra power.

·
Registered
1,988 Posts
Thanks.
I usually change my batteries at around between 4-5 years working fine or not.
I do like the Interstate's extra power.
That was my reason to purchase. It seemed like it did slightly better cranking comparing cold start to cold start, could have been me wanting it to do better after spending $$.

·
Registered
198 Posts
I like this Interstate one for my next battery change.
Correct size.
625 CCA\500 cold cranking amps and no modifications.

http://www.atbatt.com/interstate-mega-tron-ii-mt-51r-automotive-battery-500-cca.asp
That's the one the first owner of our '06 put in to replace the factory battery at 3 years and 3 months. I had it tested at 4 years old in September and it tested at 82%. I noticed a month ago it seemed to crank slow to me, but before I could get the wife to let it set for a new battery install, it gave up the ghost this Monday about 15 minutes after she made it home from work. No cranking at all, just flashing lights and clicking soleniods. Put a new Energizer from Sam's in it ($74.26 w/taxes) and it's going again. Being in Florida, East of Orlando, I stayed with the standard size, but if I still lived in Ohio I would have been looking for the proper parts to put in a more robust battery the day after I bought it.

·
Registered
2,558 Posts
I found that the Group 51 battery the came standard in my 2013 CR-V E-XL w/Nav was marginally sufficient. The other day I went to start it in 12 deg. F weather and it definitely turned over slower. Also, last summer I was playing the audio system while I was drying the CR-V (30 min) and there was not enough power left in the battery to start the engine.
After looking the existing battery and mounting hardware, I decided that there was enough room to mount a Group 24 size battery which is only slightly longer but considerably wider than the stock Group 51.
I purchased an Exide FP-AGM24F along with a battery base and cover for a 2013 Honda Odyssey. The stock battery hold-down clamp actually fits the new battery better.
Today I decided to test the new battery capacity with headlights on and stereo playing for an hour. The engine turned over quickly. I'm a happy camper!:)

Stock battery
View attachment 15314

New battery base
View attachment 15322

New battery installed
View attachment 15330
This is the kind of solution a lot of people in the colder climate areas of the country are looking for.
Wow, 710 cca, your starter must be JUMPING out of the engine compartment when you crank it now.
Great solution/fix and something Honda should have done to begin with considering how much electronics are on our CR-V's.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Wait so all you needed was a 2013 Odyssey battery tray and everything else fits?

How are the connectors? Did you have to modify them are they snug/tight fit? Move anything around. I am looking at the dimensions and the heights are the same, but the length and width is just a little longer.
http://www.rtpnet.org/teaa/bcigroup.html

If it does fit and all you have to do is take the old tray out and put a new one in, I just might do that in 4/5 years when I replace my battery.. With our luck with automotive batteries might have to replace them at 4 years.. Tray looks like $5.00 so not bad

Now if I remember, the battery tray don't bolt down to anything, I think it just uses the battery and the tie down to keep the tray into place, It looks easy enough to do though I think 700 CCA is overkill for a base LX model, but at least it would be nice to have just in case the alternator is to ever go bad in about 15 years..

·
Premium Member
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Plug and play, no muss and no fuss. Pull the old battery out along with the bottom tray. (It just sits there) Lay in the new battery tray and install the battery. Good to go. I also installed the upper battery cover/shell but it is not necessary. Took me 5 minutes.

·
Registered
250 Posts

Stock battery
View attachment 15314

New battery base
View attachment 15322

New battery installed
View attachment 15330

Thanks a ton for doing this little write up. Its people like you that make this forum keep moving forward. I was looking for an upgrade for the 2012 CRV. I beleive Honda gives a 410 CCA from the factory but they recently replaced mine with a 500. Still not satified I want more juice with all the electronics I have in my car I was looking around and didnt know where to begin. Thanks alot

·
Registered
845 Posts
Odyssey part#'s for tray and hold down clamp?

Any chance that Group 24 battery install will void warranty in case of a electrical problem?

·
Premium Member
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The part # for the bottom tray is 31521-TK8-A00 and the cover is 31531-TK8-A00. Both will cost about $15.00 at the local Honda dealer. You use the existing hold down clamp. The only part necessary is the bottom tray and of course, the Group 24 battery.

·
Registered
3,294 Posts

Stock battery
View attachment 15314

New battery base
View attachment 15322

New battery installed
View attachment 15330
Thanks for the great info. Especially up here. We get cold temperatures.

·
Registered
845 Posts
Oh, I forgot to mention that the Group 24 battery will not void the warranty.

Ok,thanks!
Very cold weather in the single digits last week but it started right up but still will go with the group 24 in the near future.

·
Registered
1,988 Posts
The part # for the bottom tray is 31521-TK8-A00 and the cover is 31531-TK8-A00. Both will cost about $15.00 at the local Honda dealer. You use the existing hold down clamp. The only part necessary is the bottom tray and of course, the Group 24 battery.
That is great info, something Honda should have done from the start.
Thanks!

1 - 20 of 250 Posts