Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

241 - 250 of 250 Posts

·
2,814 Posts
I own a 2016 Honda CRV and I'm considering the battery upgrade. I would like to install a 35 form factor battery. I wonder if anyone knows the Honda or Acura part numbers for the battery tray battery cover and ground cable that would fit interchangeably on my vehicle. Honda USA and the various aftermarket vendors have been of no help...
The battery tray, cover, and holddown for the 2014 Honda Oddyssey is for a 24F battery, and will easily work for the 35, which is slightly smaller than the 24's. There is a guy here who shows pics of his with a 35. Here's the link to his post (includes those part numbers):

https://www.crvownersclub.com/forums/24-do-yourself-mods/185770-51-battery-replacement.html#post1453506

·
Registered
10 Posts
Thanks for this post. When we picked up our CR-V and the dealer schmoe was showing us the engine I couldn’t believe the tiny battery. My older Saab was a four cylinder but the battery was huge. Anyway, one thing that wasn’t mentioned in this whole series is the use of synthetic oils for cold weather starting. I’m not super keen on the 0w20 oils that comes on the crvs now but they are thin for cold winter starting. A 0w30 might be just what’s needed as a good trade off between cold winter and all around performance.

·
2,814 Posts
The new CR-Vs specify synthetics. Has more to do with the high pressures of direct injection, though, rather than cold weather operation.

·
2,814 Posts
Is this as easy for the 3rd gen? I have a 2010 lx. 👍
Yes. I have an '07, and already have the parts to do this at the next battery change. About 30 minutes work with a dremel tool or utility knife on the bottom tray is all it takes. There are pictures.

·
Registered
255 Posts
My 2016 crv oem battery died. So I ordered a 24F Energizer AGM battery from costco and a battery tray from amazon. Will see how it goes once it arrive.

·
Administrator
3,408 Posts
I own a 2016 Honda CRV and I'm considering the battery upgrade. I would like to install a 35 form factor battery. I wonder if anyone knows the Honda or Acura part numbers for the battery tray battery cover and ground cable that would fit interchangeably on my vehicle. Honda USA and the various aftermarket vendors have been of no help...
Let me link you to another battery thread, and my own post about installing a size 35. 2016 EX-L Battery: Group 35?

·
2,814 Posts
I finally got my Group 24F battery installed in my '07. I was going to simply add the post to the main Group 24F battery upgrade thread here. But then I decided to do it separately, as a specific reference for all Gen 3 owners. I posted it in the Gen 3 section here: Gen 3 Group 24F Battery Upgrade .

Many thanks to the folks who left good instructions here. I simply tried to incorporate into my post all the info specific to the Gen 3's. I also added links and data such as dimensions, as well as different procedures for the different years of Gen 3's. The end result is all the info in one post rather than 13 pages here. Hope this helps Gen 3 owners.

·
Registered
147 Posts
I wouldn't do this in Texas, as it would create a possible heat issue for the battery, but I'm sure Boston wouldn't have that problem, eh? Still, you could protect the battery bottom from heat or vibration or sheet metal damage by using a piece of an old rubber mud flap, cut to fit, or an old mouse pad, etc.
Or get a cut-to-fit acid-absorbing battery mat. Available from many many sources, like this.

·
2,814 Posts
I've searched heavily and not found where a Gen 5 owner has done the 24F swap. Hopefully one will soon, and will post it here. I think the Gen 5's still come with the 51R through 2019, then in 2020 ones equipped with the new stop/start feature have a new, larger Group 4A super-heavy-duty battery. That battery is about the same size as a Group 35, which would lead me to believe the 24F would still fit in the Gen 5's with the 51R.

By the way, IMO the stop start feature is a horrible idea and, unless it can be disabled, should and will cost Honda a lot of sales. It would never work in commuter traffic, and is just a terrible idea right from the start, for a hundred reasons. I will certainly never own a vehicle that has it. I did once drive a big truck that had it, and had it immediately disabled after it got me stuck in a traffic jam blocking traffic. They stopped using it after only a short time in big trucks, as it is simply not viable.

241 - 250 of 250 Posts