Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2009. Honda Crv Ex 2.2 ictdi
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've currently got 225x60x18 tyres on my Crv which is standard size equipment.
Has anyone experience of putting 235x55x18 on their Crv.
I fully appreciate the ride may be slightly harsher being 55s but has anyone any experience of this. Or valid reasons not to do this?
Would road holding handling be improved with slightly wider tyres. Or would it not be advisable to sacrifice comfort?
Would larger tyres upset toe in/out or camber?
I'm also considering some sort of rear spring assistors on to slightly raise rear end as its ever so slightly sagging.
Any suggestions on either would be most welcome.
Many thanks in advance.
Kind regards
Richard.

·
Registered
941 Posts
It's the same height. Handling will be a bit different due to added width and different sidewall profile but there's no significant difference. 55 is not an absolute figure, it's the relation between the width and height.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's the same height. Handling will be a bit different due to added width and different sidewall profile but there's no significant difference. 55 is not an absolute figure, it's the relation between the width and height.
A very many thanks. I appreciate theres not much difference i.e relation to width and height but just wondered if anyone else had actually changed and felt a difference be it positive or negative. Thanks again. Regards Richard

·
Super Moderator
1,585 Posts
I guess the only question I'd ask, is why would you deviate from the OEM size??

·
Super Moderator
'07 CR-V EX-L AWD
4,342 Posts
Moved to Tires section. Vehicle-related posts are not permitted in this section.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I guess the only question I'd ask, is why would you deviate from the OEM size??
I was looking at my preferred make of tyre and it was unavailable in the standard size.
But it was available in the size I was asking advice on.

·
Registered
2011 CR-V SE
21 Posts
Looks like less than 1/4" smaller sidewall which isn't much. the added width will probably be noticeable in a good way when cornering.

Is there also a chance your preferred tire is available in a slightly larger diameter as a second consideration? The tire I was looking for was not available in my stock size (225/65/17) so I went with a slightly larger 235/65/17 and the ride is noticeably smoother and quieter. I'm sure that part of the improvement was just new tires, but part also has to be that there is simply more rubber between the rim and road now.

·
Super Moderator
1,585 Posts
I was looking at my preferred make of tyre and it was unavailable in the standard size.
But it was available in the size I was asking advice on.
Have a look on Black Circles.

They usually have every size you can think of.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Not sure I would even consider changing tyre size on a modern car, insurance company would be interested for a start and call it a modification. Honda will have spent millions getting the ride just right and will have fine tuned the suspension to suit everything inc the tyres it comes with. I will certainly be using the same tyres - make and size! -for at least the first change.(
although all season tyres are getting more common now, something I'd be interested in when there are more uk reviews.)
When everything is a bit more worn I'd just go with a decent make.Tyre pressures will be different too.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Many thanks Ed. Fully appreciated. But there are Honda Crv of equivalent years with 245x45x19 tyres/rims on identical year models. There are some models come standard with 19" rims so the size must work as they're not modified its just an optional extra upon purchase. When I search for tyres on some sites it actually asks if I have 18 or 19 inch tyres as my model was available in both.
But I also understand your comments re notifying insurance if you vary from 'standard' equipment .
Thanks again for your reply.
Kindest regards Richard

·
Registered
2,198 Posts
Not sure I would even consider changing tyre size on a modern car, insurance company would be interested for a start and call it a modification. Honda will have spent millions getting the ride just right and will have fine tuned the suspension to suit everything inc the tyres it comes with. I will certainly be using the same tyres - make and size! -for at least the first change.(
although all season tyres are getting more common now, something I'd be interested in when there are more uk reviews.)
When everything is a bit more worn I'd just go with a decent make.Tyre pressures will be different too.
Don't drink so much of the Kool Aid. The OE spec tires on the CRV have been known, for at least the last few generations to be crap. Noisy, rough ride, and short tread life.
If Honda spent millions to fine tune, and came up with the tires they spec'd, they need some new engineers.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Kool aid? No idea what that is, prefer rum as my choice of drink.
Not sure I'd agree with honda fitting rubbish tyres from new! Never heard of any criticism this side of the pond

·
Registered
941 Posts
Not sure I'd agree with honda fitting rubbish tyres from new! Never heard of any criticism this side of the pond
Still have the original Michelin Latitudes on mine. Been great, no wobbles or uneven wear.

Reactions: Ed900

·
Registered
2011 CR-V SE
21 Posts
Not sure if you have made your decision or not. As you noted, many model years come with different sized tires and rims, so I wouldn't hold too tight to the need of sticking with stock size exactly. It appears you are already on board with that.

For me, the difference in feel and quietness for the better was so noticeable when I got new tires that were slightly bigger, I'd be hard pressed to purposely go down in size if going up was an option. In order for me to get what I wanted, I actually switched from my preferred tire that had been on 4 previous vehicles to get the size I wanted. Instead of sticking with the tire I traditionally preferred, I decided to find a very similar tire in the size I wanted. Just a thought.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
A very many thanks for your reply. Definitely some food for thought. Im not quite ready for new tyres yet but like to plan ahead. Thanks again. Rich.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I did thank you very much. There are some Michelin Pilot sport 4 im interested in. But the 225x60x18 in that are E rated for fuel and A for weather/grip. I like look of and reviews of Michelin Cross climate and theyre rated B for both.
There's a Michelin Pilot sport 4 suv 107V XL vol but they're only available in 235X60X18 Not the 225 as I would like but they're rated A for fuel and A for weather/grip.
Thats why I'm leaning towards the 235 from the 225.
Thanks for the suggestion though.
Its much appreciated.
Kindest regards
Richard

·
Super Moderator
2,237 Posts
I just want to add that the tires that Honda installs on new CR-Vs will vary by country and region. As is evidenced by this thread. Sizes MAY vary as well. As one posted mentioned, there may have been more than one stock original tire size for the vehicle.

Reactions: Tricky Dicky 69
1 - 18 of 18 Posts