Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone heard of Laufenn Snow Tires? Laufenn is a child company of Hankook.

The Laufenn's were recommended by a discount tire shop to fulfill a 1 winter, maybe 2, requirement.

The price point is comfortable, ~$450 out the door for 215/60R16. Vehicle is well used 2005 with 160K+ miles. Mainly want to get through this winter then maybe keep the vehicle as a winter beater for another winter.

Thanks!

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
For that pricepoint why not go with Michelin X Ice 2's?? Thats what im currently scouting for 235-65-17s
Where are you getting X-Ice 2's for ~$450 out-the-door? (Mounted, balanced, road hazard, tax included)

My research shows that even with the current rebates it'll be more than that.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Where are you getting X-Ice 2's for ~$450 out-the-door? (Mounted, balanced, road hazard, tax included)

My research shows that even with the current rebates it'll be more than that.
I usually get all my tires from Discount Tire Direct (with promotions they seem the cheapest to me).

When i pull that size tire its actually X-ice 3's which i have on my other vehicle and I like.

Breakdown

4 tires @ $111.90 each = $447.60

Current promotions $70 INstant + $50 Mail in = $327.60 shipped to your door. Take them and get them mounted for what $15 bucks per tire? Thats what Costco charges. $327.60 + 60= $387.60 installed.

https://www.discounttiredirect.com/buy-tires/michelin-x-ice-xi3/p/34546

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I usually get all my tires from Discount Tire Direct (with promotions they seem the cheapest to me).

When i pull that size tire its actually X-ice 3's which i have on my other vehicle and I like.

Breakdown

4 tires @ $111.90 each = $447.60

Current promotions $70 INstant + $50 Mail in = $327.60 shipped to your door. Take them and get them mounted for what $15 bucks per tire? Thats what Costco charges. $327.60 + 60= $387.60 installed.

https://www.discounttiredirect.com/buy-tires/michelin-x-ice-xi3/p/34546
Thanks for the link. That is a better a price than TireRack has for the Xi3's since I don't think TR has that extra $50 discount.

I use the Xi2's on my daughter's cars and they seem to be fine. I'd have to research the Xi3's since I believe that they are cheaper than the Xi2's. So, maybe not apples-to-apples. I also don't know how either of the Michelin's compared to Laufenn tires. IOW, I don't know if you get a lot more for the extra ~$60 on the Laufenn vs. the Xi3's.

Granted, if it's just about treadwear then one should save the $60 because all of those tires are going to last the 2 years we're talking about. However, if the Laufenn tread pattern is better/safer than the Xi3's , then the peace of mind is worth the $60. Unfortunately, the Laufenn's seem to be too new to get any long term reviews on.

Thanks again for the link.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So I did a little more research. I took a look at what TireRack offered as far as Xi2's and Xi3's. I found that there is no overlap in sizes across the 2 models. They have about 50 different sizes in each model, but you can't choose between the 2 for any specific size. I called them to find out what the story was.

At first I was told that the Xi2 was basically discontinued and the Xi3 is the replacement. "I'd be surprised if we still carry much Xi2 inventory." When I pointed out that there was just as many Xi2 sizes to choose from as the Xi3's, he changed his story. "Oh, those are the Latitude Xi2's which are different from the previous Xi2's.

"OK" I said. "But that doesn't explain why there is not a single size available in both models. If the Latitude is not the same as the previous Xi2's, then the Xi3 isn't really the replacement for the Latitude Xi2, is it?"

New story:

"The Latitude Xi2's are mainly for SUV's and light trucks and they only make them in sizes that they aren't going to make in the Xi3's."

Me: "From what I understand about tire sizes, I'm seeing sizes that fit both passenger cars and SUV's in both the Xi3 and Latitude Xi2. So the models overlap in vehicle type usage but not in size."

That's when I finally ferreted out the true story:

"We don't carry the same sizes in both models because they don't want competition across the 2 model lines."

OK, so now that I finally got that cleared up, I asked him about the Laufenn snow tires vs. the Michelin Xi3's, which are available in the size I need:

"We do not carry Laufenn snow tires, but we do carry a few Laufenn all-season models. Based on what I know about the Laufenn all-season tires vs. Michelin all-season tires, I would strongly recommend the Xi3's over any Laufenn snow tire."

Now, I could have said "Well, of course you do. You carry the Xi3's but not the Laufenns, so you are going to recommend what you sell, not what you don't." I could have said it, but I didn't. Bottom line is that I like the Xi2's that I've used so I have no reason to think that I won't like the Xi3's.

Finally: TireRack price vs. Discount Tire price

1 - The $70 rebate is available from both vendors.
2 - The additional $50 rebate is only available from Discount Tire if you purchase the tires with their Credit Card.

These tires are actually going to be purchased by my daughter as a gift for her partner. She really doesn't want to apply for a new credit card just to save $50. (Her credit is fine but she has been a victim of identity theft and is very cautious about who she gives her information to.) Therefore, I am going to purchase the tires through TireRack since I already have an account. I will pay the full price ($447), keep the $70 rebate ($377) but only "charge" my daughter $327, essentially covering the $50 rebate.

Thanks for pointer to the Xi3's.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Yeah back when i was researching tires I found out the same thing. The Xi3's were supposedly newer and didnt overlap on tire sizes. When i went researching for winter tires on our 2018 CRV i wanted the XI'3s but they didnt have the size i needed. I prefer Michelin as long as the pricing is reasonable so going to buy the XI'2s for our CRV in coming months.

Getting the heated steering wheel installed next week, should be great for the winter :)

For what its worth i purchased X-ice 3's for my Ford C Max hybrid. Theyve been fine in snow (havent gotten much snow to play with) but whats really surprised me is the gas mileage. I figured i would take a hit changing from energy savers to them but have actually gained 1.5mpg. Granted that is also going from 17 to 16'' wheels for winter but they still seem to have negligible rolling resistance. Impressed with Michelins.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts