Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
In may 2018 , the antenna and top half of the base of antenna came off in a car wash.( I know never again)
So I put the top of the base back on the base attached to the car (the one with the rubber gasket) and it snapped back into place.

There was a little movement in the base but nothing major so I neatly used silicone sealant around the base and its been fine..until today.

The interior is cream so it rained a lot in england today....on the headliner..just behind where the antenna base is, I can see water leaking on to the headliner.

I put some tape on it for now to stop it but any advice as I know nothing.
Im considering taking it to a dealers but will the base be ok to just screw back tight under the roof (I know its one nut and the roof has no damage).
Just confused how it can come loose but only slightly/

...also can silicone only a certain amount of time?

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I did not see the washer or nut as the base didnt come off just the top section of the base which is reattchable but been told there is one nut under it as its still pretty solid just got gap under it.
basically the rubber gasket and everything is as it should be, just loosened a bit.

Im thinking will a good quality sealant do the job as dealers going to charge £150 to £250 easy for this

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
? anyone got advise as it raining all week here and im stuck until i fix it

·
Registered
112 Posts
I have seen this 1,000 times.

Unfortunately, the roof is bent underneath the antenna. It needs to be repaired flat so the antenna will sit flat enough to create a seal. The carwash place should be held liable.

I know this because there is a carwash place down the street from my auto body shop and we get this exact thing in from them fairly often.

·
Registered
'07 CR-V EX-L AWD
4,670 Posts
For this type of issue I use a very simple and inexpensive solution, and have never had it fail yet. Plumber's putty. Here in the US, I can buy it at Home Depot or Lowe's or any hardware or plumbing supply. It can be bought in a can for about $2, but I keep a roll of it in tape form (which I get on Amazon - it comes in a 30' by 1.5" roll for about $30) on hand, for shower door leaks and under faucets and the like. It is a soft putty like substance, that never hardens and never deteriorates. It will not harm paint or cause rust issues. I have used it many times to seal up leaks in clearance lights on the roofs of big trucks, which is the same issue as your antenna, and it works great and lasts forever. Works on curved surfaces too. To, apply, I remove the fixture, and apply a flat wide piece of it (I like the tape for this but it can be formed with the lump from the can too) all the way around the edge underneath. Then bolt the fixture back down. It will tighten and squeeze the putty to form a tight seal. Then, take a toothpick or matchstick, and go around the edge of the fixture to trim the squeezed out excess away for a neat appearance, and you are done. It is fully waterproof and will withstand vibration and water forever if done right, and it will compensate for thickness variations caused by curves or whatever. This is a permanent solution.

If the original OEM plastic/runner gasket is old, dry, or cracked, I would get a new gasket if possible, and apply the putty underneath that. Or you might choose to leave it out and just use the putty, depending on what is best in that situation.

Reactions: GeorgeRymerz

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I did check the roof I could not see any bends in the metal but I could see that the base of the antenna (rubber gasket) everything is still as it should be , just with a small gap at the back like its been moved out of place.

I can seal or putty it but taking the headliner off is something Im not comfortable doing at all.
I will seal it but im hoping that the base can be screwed back from underneath so I dont have to get that part and just pay the labour charges.

what confuses me is how roof is not bent yet the gasket is still solid but a gap is visible at back of the base, is it possible the nut/ screw thread section has bent?

Either way if i go to dealers and the part is ok I can get it tightened and sealed from the bottom of the base.

·
Registered
112 Posts
It is bent under the antenna.

·
Registered
17 CRV EXL AWD, 14 CRV EXL AWD
2,180 Posts
K-dog is right, the perimeter of the base is not where the water tight seal occurs. The seal occurs around the mounting bolt and cable roof penetration in the center of the base. To properly repair it, you really need to remove the old base. Straighten any bends around the bolt / cable roof penetration, apply a sealant around the opening. Then install a new base because the metal bracket in the base may be tweeked.
You didn't mention what model crv you have ( I'm guessing a 3rd gen lx by the appearance of the base) but here is a video of the antenna replacement of a 4th gen crv.
Not a hugh job but a bit of a tight fit without removing the headliner.

·
Registered
'07 CR-V EX-L AWD
4,670 Posts
That's actually a terrible video, as it focuses entirely on the headliner and wiring, and never actually shows anything about the removal or replacement of the antenna itself, other than loosening the nut.

the perimeter of the base is not where the water tight seal occurs. The seal occurs around the mounting bolt and cable roof penetration in the center of the base.
That is not entirely accurate. The fit of every part of that base where it contacts the sheet metal of the roof is critical to a watertight seal. The Honda engineer who came up with the idea to relocate the antenna to the roof should be slapped fairly hard, as it was a poor idea. They should have just left it on the front fender. Heck, it even impairs the proper function of the FM antenna as it is not the proper wavelength.There was literally NO advantage to putting it on the roof, and several disadvantages. The only worse idea is to sandwich it into the windshield glass, and even more horrible idea. They may be design wizards but they have no common sense at all, as this illustrates. Anyway, it's possible just the antenna base is damaged, or it's also possible the roof metal is also bent. Never ever use a brush car wash unless you remove the antenna first, and I still wouldn't. This is not the only thing they can and do tear up on cars every day.

You'll need an entire new antenna, base and all. Yes, the headliner requires care, and I recommend using disposable gloves when handling it, as it is very, very easy to get dirty and difficult to clean. But it is not an insurmountable job. The plumber's putty tape I use will cover the entire underside of the base, and ensures no gaps will be left to leak. It is designed specifically for the purpose of sealing this exact kind of mating surface and preventing water from leaking through, and it works. I have done this repair countless times, on cars and big trucks, for roof mounts of antennas, air horns, lights, brackets, sunroofs, you name it. Truck shops use it, as do RV shops. It adds an extra layer of sealing to the mounting, and is permanent.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
thanks for replies...
Whats was odd was the top of the base came off (base has two parts to it) but that just clicked into place, it didnt seem to have any holes for the water to go through it.
The water is coming in as that rubber base is not sitting flush to the metal.
Checking the metal on the roof today, there is no damages which is good.

I will get someone to take the headliner off, im just hoping I dont need new parts.

Soon as I heard a noise from the car wash, I drove out while the brushes were lifted high.

considering people may need to adjust the base etc why do they not make a section where it is accessible from the headliner....
indeed, roof is a stupid place to put the antenna. it can get caught on anything

Il be happy if its sealed tight from water not bothered about anything else, then Il put a fake shark fin on it.

its am/fm only so should be ok

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
update
honda looked at it and said the base needs replacing as its split but gasket is ok.
why does it matter if the gasket and thread is ok,, IM sure they can fix and seal the existing part.
£178 parts £130 labour!!!!

Im sure there is a way to seal it but they say they have to replace the whole base to do it properly and warranty the work for 1 year.

My car is mint in and out and obviously I want it done properly and it will make a difference when I sell it to say ive sealed the antenna with putty or silicone but im in two minds about it

·
Registered
2016 CRV Touring AWD
3,776 Posts
Temporary fix: Caulking around the base? Similar to caulking around a bathtub....

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
exactly what im thinking, I did do that before but it only lasts certain amount of time and its bothering me as can destroy my car
might just go to honda as this will de value the car on sale
only thing im thinking is why do they insist on replacing the antenna when its all in one piece , surely it can be screwed back in... or does anyone think they are correct in this idea?

·
Registered
2017 CRV Touring - Pearl White w Black Interior
4,905 Posts
exactly what im thinking, I did do that before but it only lasts certain amount of time and its bothering me as can destroy my car
might just go to honda as this will de value the car on sale
only thing im thinking is why do they insist on replacing the antenna when its all in one piece , surely it can be screwed back in... or does anyone think they are correct in this idea?
Their assumption is most likely that since it was an impact collision of sorts, and the threaded element is known to be damaged.....all parts are suspect and should be replaced.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Their assumption is most likely that since it was an impact collision of sorts, and the threaded element is known to be damaged.....all parts are suspect and should be replaced.
I do see what they must assume and once they start they will need labour paying just that the cost of one mistake leads to this..Ive seen leaks make a huge mess when cars parked up and the owner doesnt know they exist.
An audio friend of mine also said the water in the antenna can damage the stereo in certain cases.
I have not drank in months but today made me want to after this bill ( no joke)
However at least honda will put it right once and for all although I still think the silicone/putty mentioned here would have worked fine, just selling something with 40000 miles and 2 owners fsh....that temp repair would knock of a lot id assume when selling!

·
Registered
112 Posts
Did you see if the car wash would accept liability?

It might be too late time-wise but worth a shot.

·
Registered
2017 CRV Touring - Pearl White w Black Interior
4,905 Posts
Did you see if the car wash would accept liability?

It might be too late time-wise but worth a shot.
Generally, at least here in the US, car washes have big signs posted before you enter stating things you should not run through the carwash (like after market antenna, after market side mirrors, no items in your truck bed, etc) and also a liability disclaimer saying they are not responsible for any damage to your vehicle. Pretty much like parking lots.. use at your own risk.

I'm not saying I agree with this policy they have, only that I understand it, and accept the risk. Thing is.. I normal car wash should be designed to account for a range of different roof top antennas on modern vehicles. I generally do not run my vehicles through a carwash anyway (I go with a handwash at home or a touchless carwash) until I get the first notable scratch or ding. :p

The big one to watch out for with these car washes though is automatic wipers.... make sure the wipers are in the off state (not on auto) before you enter the carwash. I watched an owner in front of me get a wiper damaged when she left the wipers on auto and the carwash brushes tried to eat it.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts