Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So a couple of months ago I took my wife's CR-V to have the driver's side axle replaced (C-V boot was torn in half). Keep in mind that there were no issues with leaks before I took this car to have this replaced. I take it to a new (to me) mechanic near by, and he changes it. This mechanic is someone who has been doing this for quite some time, and was recommended by a colleague. Anyway, he replaces the axle and I take the car home. Next morning there is a small puddle of trans fluid on the driveway. I figure it's fluid that remained from when he took the axle out. It does this for the next week, and I take it back to him to have a look. He re-replaces the seal and I get it back. Same thing happens. Long story short, I have taken the car to him to have him look at the problem 4 times in the last 3 months, and no change. I even took it to another shop, told them about the problem, and had the seal changed by them (I did this after the third time b/c I was tired of dealing with this issue, and just wanted it fixed). I finally take it back to him, leave it with him for 2 weeks. Come back, and he leaves a note on the dash saying seal was changed, car was test-driven, and no problems. No leaks for the first two days...and suddenly, there it is again. The small puddle is back, and I'm at my wit's end.

I'm hoping someone might have some theory or insight as to what may be happening. I personally think it may have to do with the actual axle, but not really sure. While it was being looked at in the second garage, I was on the phone with the mechanic as he was about to replace the seal, and he said there were no abrasions or marks anywhere inside where the seal fits, and that it looked clean. So I don't know.

Thanks in advance for your help.

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
Any chance the axle is defective (or the wrong part) and maybe just a hair too small to seal right? If the wrong part it could be binding and wearing on the seal as well.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for replying...I thought this as well, and I did mention it in a conversation with the mechanic who originally changed the axle. I don't believe he thought it was a problem, and I'm going to check with him again.

·
Registered
3,240 Posts
I totally agree with Shryp. I have seen this happened. Its just a hair smaller compared to the proper diameter of the part that goes around the seal. If you can ask the original mechanic that installed the axle for the part #. Just to confirm. The replacement axle is a remanufactured or new? Let us know.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
otto888man and shryp, thanks for your feedback. I'll get in touch with him and ask about the part. I'm a bit surprised it didn't occur to him to check the axle as a possible issue, considering he changed the seal a couple of times. I'll post any result as soon as I can.

Thanks.

·
Registered
3,240 Posts
It could also be the rebuilders have made the mistake of reboxing it. You could also ask the tech to use a vernier caliper on the rod & then compare to another same part for the outside diameter. Especially if its a rebuilt unit. Or if he has the old part still & not sent it back for core. Let us know.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi! I actually just JOINED this forum to reply to you because this same problem ended up costing me bout 3 thousand to figure out....what a nightmare! So.. IN SPITE of what your mechanics have told you, an "axle is not an axle".....Honda Cr-v's MUST have OEM axles. YOU MUST go to the dealership and have this done or the leak will never stop. I replaced 6 axles seals, numerous other components, and 3 aftermarket axles....the only solution is the OEM HONDA axle. Do it before its too late for the transmission. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Mini-update

I called an he said it must be the axle, and that he will order a new one and put that in next Monday. RachelCarey11, thanks for your input; if this isn't resolved after this next one, I'm going to ask that he order an original OEM one from Honda. I guess it'll mean paying the extra 100 or so beyond the cost of the one he put in. I'll have to wait and see.

Will update...

·
Registered
4 Posts
I replaced the axles on my 05 CR-V with new axles from O'Reilly (under $70 each) and compared the diameter of the area where the axles go into the transmission and intermediate shaft to the diameter of the original axles with a micrometer. Diameter was exact, and I've had no leaks at all. Key is to compare the old and new before installing, and I, too, had to learn this the hard way.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
**Update**

Had the axle and seal replaced yesterday...so far so good. No leaks! Mechanic didn't find anything wrong with the original one, though admitted he didn't know what the problem was, and that there clearly was some problem. I'm keeping my fingers crossed. I'm just surprised he didn't decide to replace the axle after the second time it came back leaking. It's been a two and a half month ordeal, and I'd be really happy if this is where it ends.

I asked him if it would be better to get an oem part since it'd be a perfect fit, and he said that all the end joints are original oem parts (I suppose that's why you have to return the core). What they do replace are the bearings, shaft, etc.

Thanks for the input and suggestions. If it does re-occur, I'll be posting again.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts