Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
carpart.jpg

carpart2 - Copy.jpg

I have 2013 crv AWD 70,000 miles that is loosing about a quart of between oil changes. this part (out lined in red) is above the inner CV boot on the drivers side. it is the furthest up the leaking oil reaches, everything above it is spotless. the bottom of the transmission is covered in motor oil, but the oil pan on the motor is clean. i pulled the cover to the flex plate / torque converter, thinking it was the rear main seal but the bottom of the bell housing is spotless. not sure whats going on here. any ideas?

Thank you!

·
Registered
252 Posts
They make a florescent dye that you can add to the oil and the fresh oil will show up with a uv light. Perhaps that will help identify the source.

·
Registered
3,169 Posts
I agree with TomKatt. The other way is to pressure wash the area & then see where it is coming from. Was anything done before this happened? Let us know.

·
Registered
3,169 Posts
View attachment 53866

View attachment 53874

I have 2013 crv AWD 70,000 miles that is loosing about a quart of between oil changes. this part (out lined in red) is above the inner CV boot on the drivers side. it is the furthest up the leaking oil reaches, everything above it is spotless. the bottom of the transmission is covered in motor oil, but the oil pan on the motor is clean. i pulled the cover to the flex plate / torque converter, thinking it was the rear main seal but the bottom of the bell housing is spotless. not sure whats going on here. any ideas?

Thank you!
That part that you have the red arrow , is that part of the tranny or the engine? Do you have an automatic transmission? Let me know.

·
Registered
2,822 Posts
I agree with TomKatt, use the dye to find the leak. That's going to be your best bet besides taking it to the dealer.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
no major work done recently, just typical maintenance. ill just pick up a dye test and Pressure wash the area tonight and see if i cant figure this out. Thanks!

·
Registered
3,169 Posts
You are welcome! I might have a hunch or a guess where it could be leaking. I think on top of this area is the end of the cylinder head. There are a few gaskets there. I will post a link on the diagram that might help you. It could be coming out of these TDC sensors http://www.hondapartsnow.com/parts-list/2013-honda-cr-v-5dr_ex_awd-ka-5at/cylinder-head.html
Items # 6 is the sensor, but it might just be the o-rings item # 10, you will need to replace. Let us know.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So i just wanted to thank everyone here for all the help. Its stopped leaking... i cleaned the motor, got the dye and now its not leaking at all.

So intermittent oil leak or I spilled oil, didn't notice and my car really is burning a quart of oil between changes (i change it every 5000 miles) it would not surprise me if it was really burning that much, its seen some hard miles.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Might as well check your PCV valve to make sure it is functional.
Buffalo4
yep its fine, pretty sure i just spilled oil and didn't notice. people drive crazy around here, i find myself needing WOT and wishing i had high cam engagement at a lower RPM on a daily basis. i would not be surprised if it really was burning oil.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts