Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2018 CR-V EX-L FWD Modern Steel Metallic
1,102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a EX-L and we replaced the backup lights w/LEDs. Great decision, etc.

a wk ago after install of Ceramic Tinting on rear window, we notice moisture in the backup light area.

showed the dealer - and he ordered replacement, we had it replaced today.

then I was pulled aside by the service guy just after i paid for the oil/filter/rotation we had done at the same time - told that the LED bulbs used were not snug enough for a seal, thus the condensation.

I was thinking that the 2018 touring had LED backup lights as a standard - and if so, i'm looking for the part # - if anyone can help or enlighten.

thanks.

·
Registered
154 Posts
I have a EX-L and we replaced the backup lights w/LEDs. Great decision, etc.
<snip>

I was thinking that the 2018 touring had LED backup lights as a standard - and if so, i'm looking for the part # - if anyone can help or enlighten.

thanks.
The Touring does have LED backup lights but the only spec I see in the Owner's Manual is "16 watt" and "have dealer replace."

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
154 Posts
The Touring does have LED backup lights but the only spec I see in the Owner's Manual is "16 watt" and "have dealer replace."

Well, now that I read more closely, I think the manual is ambiguous. In the spec section, LED bulbs are generally called "LED" and others are listed with wattage. And the procedure above may refer to back-up rather than taillight replacement. So I guess I'm not sure.

·
Registered
208 Posts
My 2017 Touring did NOT have factory installed LED lights, it does now when I replaced all interior lights with LED.

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks all.

If i get moisture in the backup light area again, I will just put the original bulbs back.

·
Registered
450 Posts
CR-V does not come with LED backup lights. The brake, turn signal and rear running lights are LED.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
2,417 Posts
CR-V does not come with LED backup lights. The brake, turn signal and rear running lights are LED.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
There are some differences between Canadian and USA CR-Vs. I don't know if the backup lights are one area where they are different. As an example, I know Canada requires daytime running lights to be on at all times, USA doesn't.

·
Registered
145 Posts
I am confused, and I admit it doesn't take much. My 17 touring has LED tail lights and Regular backup lights. It now has LED backup lights. The backup lights are changed from the inside of the hatch. I don't see how moisture can get in there. Also, the plug is the same with either bulb. I see someone blowing smoke.

·
Registered
618 Posts
There are some differences between Canadian and USA CR-Vs. I don't know if the backup lights are one area where they are different. As an example, I know Canada requires daytime running lights to be on at all times, USA doesn't.
The US ones have drl too

·
Super Moderator
2,417 Posts
The US ones have drl too
You know, this is a good point. And you are correct. On our other car, the DRLs can be turned off (USA version)... and based on what posters on that car's forum say, the Canadian models do not allow the DRLs to be turned off. I expected the US CR-Vs to be the same...allowing the DRLs to be turned off. According to the CRV owner's manual, "Off" position = "all exterior lights off". Tested it, and the DRLs do stay on, even with this switch int he off position. I guess "all exterior lights" don't include the DRLs! LOL

Sorry, that wasn't a good example of the differences between Canadian and USA CR-Vs. :doh:

·
Registered
618 Posts
Yeah as far as I know the only differences in exterior lighting between regions would be the fog lighting (LED or not, included or not), and whether the main head lamps are LED or not. I believe some exotic models also include rear fog lamps.

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I am confused, and I admit it doesn't take much. My 17 touring has LED tail lights and Regular backup lights. It now has LED backup lights. The backup lights are changed from the inside of the hatch. I don't see how moisture can get in there. Also, the plug is the same with either bulb. I see someone blowing smoke.
no smoke blown... i stated: told that the LED bulbs used were not snug enough for a seal, - and i remember when we installed them, the new ones stuck in "ok", not great. so I know what the dealership is talking about. we had to put water on the inside of the window to attach the tinting... so all is plausible.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Ok, I think I see what you are talking about, maybe. If you put water on the inside of the window, it may run down to the lights. However, the backup light socket is the same one as in the original setup. You simply changed the bulb, not the socket. Therefore, I can't see where the bulb is the cause. No smoke blown at the OP, but the tech who suggested this, maybe.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts