Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

I've searched the forum and haven't found an answer to this. Can anyone recommend a quality LED hi/low bulb that will also work for dimmed DRL? I read one post that suggested VLED had a light with 3 diodes (one DRL, one low, one high) that would work, but I don't believe they sell that anymore. Not overly concerned with price, but rather something that works and keeps a reasonable pattern.

Thanks!

·
Registered
2016 CRV EX-L AWD
345 Posts
Do you have projectors or reflector headlight? I would not go with LEDs if you have reflector headlight. You will not get the distance you need for safe driving at night with any of the plug and play LED kit.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It is reflector-based, but from what I've read, several of the higher-end manufacturers are now doing a better job customizing their LED bulbs for a reflector application. But DRL is a must-have, so if there's no way to make that work, I'll need to look into a full HID retrofit.

·
Registered
2016 CRV EX-L AWD
345 Posts
I have not seen any LED pnp kit that are high/low type and also do DRL at lower voltage. Even with a HID projector retrofit, you're still not going to have the DRL unless your new housing comes with an LED strip for DRL.
You can always add a new set of LED fog lights or strip light and leave it on all the time as your DRL.
July-King-LED-Daytime-Running-Lights-LED-font-b-DRL-b-font-With-Fog-Lamp-Cover.jpg

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Always-on LED fogs isn't a bad idea, if they're not too bright. I wonder if there's a wiring trick to that (for always on).

·
Registered
1,867 Posts
The Philips Ultinon LEDs are not available in the US, but they are certainly as bright as the halogens, if not more so. For the 3rd gen, though, I think I would lose the DRL capability if I switched over. I did find one seller that had some sort of upgrade that would preserve the DRL. Not sure which bulb the 4th gen uses, but this seller might have an option available.

Here is the H4 for the 3rd gen:

http://www.xenondepot.com/h4-philips-12953BWX2-LED-Bulb-p/12953bwx2.htm

·
Registered
1,867 Posts
I looked up the bulb for the 4th gen: 9003 is the headlamp, with H4 being pretty much equivalent, which is the same result I get for the 3rd gen. There are some user reviews of the Philips Ultinon H4 out there. I seem to recall one that a Toyota truck owner wrote about his upgrade and he seemed pleased with it, plus it preserved the "notch" in the beam pattern so the lights would not blind oncoming drivers (unlike some aftermarket bulbs).

I would recommend reading more about this Ultinon H4 LED. It is expensive. Not something you would want to make a mistake on! Philips I believe has recently introduced the other Ultinon bulbs to the US (Tire Rack stocks them), so perhaps this one may come along in the near future for US sales.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Agreed, that they're too expensive to buy on just faith. I do trust Xenon Depot to have decent quality, reasonable output and pattern. I'll need to contact them about the DRL issue though. My understanding was that, with LEDs, the DRL would basically just be the high beam on 24/7, which would be a problem. These bulbs appear to have some sort of regulator add-on, but since you can't "dim" and LED, that might mean that it limits output to a single LED (which might be cool) or it might just try to resolve any flickering from the reduced voltage.

·
Registered
1,867 Posts
Some LEDs can dim; the Philips 40mm festoon LEDs I put in my '09 dim just as the incandescent bulbs did. (And that kind of surprised me). Yet others can't. It might depend on the circuitry that drives them. I would be interested to see what Xenon Depot's solution is. If you hear back, let us know!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Any more info on this ? ? ? I just put a low cost LED set in my 08 and the DRL lamp is illuminated. Did not do my homework before buying/installing - SMDH

1 - 11 of 11 Posts