Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

221 - 240 of 254 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2,417 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Why would you guys want distance from your fogs?
Actually for two reasons:

1) To augment the primary headlights, which even for the LEDs factory headlamps are just acceptable per IHS and my personal view also.
2) Too much foreground light actually reduces your night vision ability and the ability to see in the distance in the dark. You really want a balanced light spread of light, if possible. Not just an extremely well lit foreground only. It is actually self-defeating in overall effect. The 2017 CR-V fog lamp housing is not good for much distance regardless of how bright a bulb, but it does have a good side throw, so a bright bulb does helps greatly there, in my opinion. It does help a little in the distance throw however, but not to a large degree. Overall, it is good for seeing curbs, people and wildlife in the bushes, if one is not driving faster then the reach of the primary headlamps. It just makes driving at night more relaxing and one has more confidence in for unexpected conditions..

I have the 2nd gen Sirius MX H11 and it seems to work well and no drivers have flashed yet. A visual self-look, it does look look bright, but not really much glare overall. So pleased. And I don't think it offends other drivers, which is very important to me.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I am very picky about driving lights. I got the Touring model primary just for the legal LED lights, since they were rated acceptable (A) vs the halogen marginal (M) on the 2017 IHS light ratings. But I still found the factory LED rather poor (esp for deer sightings and wild life on the side) and the halogen factory fog H8 lamps were were pretty pathetic and a weird color match to the LEDs.

So I stated a "holy light LED grail" search for the best CR-V fog LED lamp search. I first got the $30 JDM Adstar H11 fog lamps, not bad, but just still wished for something brighter. So ok, but not great. After a few months of use, I searched for something better.

So I tried next the "legal" Philips H11 for LED lamps. Actually pretty good and great warranty- good forward and side throw. But still just still did not seem as good ss my Rigid fog lamps I had put on an older car, so I wanted at least equal performance. I thought about trying to retro fit the RIGID Industries LEDs Fog (SAE compliant) LEDs to the CR-V, just it seem to be very difficult to accomplished. And they are around $240 + normal installation. I figured on the CRr-V would need a total custom cutout/mount or some external mounting. Cost would be $400+ or more. Either way, a lot of cost, not just how it would be done and possible just not good looking either. So back to the holy grail search.

So tired, the Beamtech H11 LED. Very bright forward, but not not really good on side throw, so went back go the the prior Phillips H11 LED for awhile. BTW, none of the above caused any other cars to flash their high beams, so good.

So saw that Siriusled had a new 2nd gen ZES LED MZ H11 LED rated at 8000 lumens. It had a fan, so some concerns, but claimed 2 year warranty. The CR-V other bulbs had kep clean so far, so area does not seem too exposed to road grime. Fan might be ok. So purchaed for $60.

So far, the Siriyusled SM leds are very bright and have the side throw I also wanted. So in a month of use, I have NOT gotten flashed, but I suspect it is on the border of acceptance of other drivers. They are that bright. It is good enoght for now. :)

Finally, I hace gotten good augmented throw with my main LEDs. It almost looks seamless, so pleaed. I can now see the very comman deer much easier, so feel better about drivgn at night in my Colorado area.

So I went ahead and ordered the "SiriusLED MX 8000 Lumen ZES Chip Extremely Bright LED Headlight Fog Lamp Conversion Kit Pure White 6500K Size H11 (H8 H9) Set of 2". I have to agree with BeyondToyota - its super bright and the side throw is solid. Went out during wet dark weather and the lights really helped my drive! I will say that the comments on the amazone page do mention a flicker or the light being dead eventually so I am going to use the fog lights for every drive and in a month I will post back here on the status of the lights! Thanks mate!

·
Registered
2 Posts
I installed these today :

Very similar, if not identical to the JDM ASTAR bulbs and gives a nice wide light pattern. Doesn't blind incoming drivers, and available in 5000k to match the factory LED headlights.
Thanks for the link. I ordered the H11 (6000) and just installed them tonight. They look amazing and match the headlights perfectly.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Actually for two reasons:

1) To augment the primary headlights, which even for the LEDs factory headlamps are just acceptable per IHS and my personal view also.
2) Too much foreground light actually reduces your night vision ability and the ability to see in the distance in the dark. You really want a balanced light spread of light, if possible. Not just an extremely well lit foreground only. It is actually self-defeating in overall effect. The 2017 CR-V fog lamp housing is not good for much distance regardless of how bright a bulb, but it does have a good side throw, so a bright bulb does helps greatly there, in my opinion. It does help a little in the distance throw however, but not to a large degree. Overall, it is good for seeing curbs, people and wildlife in the bushes, if one is not driving faster then the reach of the primary headlamps. It just makes driving at night more relaxing and one has more confidence in for unexpected conditions..

I have the 2nd gen Sirius MX H11 and it seems to work well and no drivers have flashed yet. A visual self-look, it does look look bright, but not really much glare overall. So pleased. And I don't think it offends other drivers, which is very important to me.
1. Problem is, to have distance, you need to aim them upwards. Otherwise, you won't get distance. Fog lights are not meant to substitute what your headlights are made for.
2. You are contradicting yourself with point 1. If you want distance, you'll get an intense hotspot right in front of your bumper. Fogs are meant to inscrease side and foreground visibility.

Your headlights will do an okay job with daily driving. Of course, with halogens or LED replacement bulbs, it won't make a difference. Go HID if you really want your headlights to work the way they should.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Yes, they will fit, but, IMO, I think there are better options available and brighter, if some what more expensive. The newer, better designed LED lights, try to mimic the halogen bulbs reflectors with their LED placement/size, as much as possible, to the halogen filament. I would be concerned about the forward LEDs. They might cause a lot of glare (and other drivers flashing you). This can become an issue.

I went with the SiriusLED MX H11/H8. Philips has a H11/H8 fog also, with very similar design- just not as bright. I initially tried a JDM Adstar LED H11 that had a good design, but just not bright enough. The SiriusLED has not caused anyone to flash yet.

I

·
Registered
121 Posts
Here you go, as requested. Sorry, I have a white fence, no big wall to do this on.

5000k according to the package the fogs came in. Could the OEM LED headlights be 4700k?

View attachment 85146
hey Fleeecy i was looking into getting the H8 CMB led bulbs from Xenondepot as well. Do they light up the road as well as the original halogen fog bulbs? or are they purely there for looks only?

·
Registered
1 Posts
The installation of the fog led bulbs is very easy. I posted pictures in post#27
Hello, Can you give me the steps on how to install the Fog Light Bulbs for the CRV? I know you posted a picture but that doesn't really help me get to that point. What screws or parts do I have to take off to access that?

·
Registered
70 Posts
Finally did my touring headlight retrofit Saturday and while i had it all apart i installed the
Calais yellow led fogs
I’ll try to get some wall beam pics soon
What retrofit did you do on the low beams?

·
Registered
70 Posts
I just put these on mine, the are Great!

https://amzn.to/2IEpgXf

I wonder if you can use a white LED in one house and a Yellow in another?

I actually had that setting on my dual lamp touring bike, visually you couldn't miss me coming down the road
Way too dim for me in the low beams.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Finally did my touring headlight retrofit Saturday and while i had it all apart i installed the
Calais yellow led fogs
I’ll try to get some wall beam pics soon
Where did you buy the fogs from.

221 - 240 of 254 Posts