Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For the past few years I have owned a 2013 Subaru Legacy and a 2015 CR-V EX. I occasionally noticed severe stumbling and hesitation on both cars when I would try to accelerate from a stop, or when maneuvering in traffic. I read in another forum about using left footed braking causing the engine computer to get confused when stepping on the accelerator pedal and brake pedal at the same time. Sure enough, my habit of left foot on the brake pedal was causing this for me. I've had to change driving habits, and it's right foot on the brakes for me now!

·
Registered
868 Posts
I don't use my left foot to brake, but if done right, left foot braking will not cause what you're referring to.

Not that unusual to see brake lights come on and off on vehicles in front of you. Keeping the foot on the brake is the problem. 'Riding the brakes'. Bad move.

·
Registered
83 Posts
When I first got my 05 Acura RL, I had this happen a few times due to my big feet and big shoes. At first I was startled as to why the car was trying to go when I was trying to brake! I got used to it and it doesn't happen anymore. Can be very dangerous and everyone with a new car with an automatic transmission needs to be careful. That powerful 4WD car easily overpowers light braking!

For the record, it is improper driving to brake with the left foot. That foot should be resting on the dead pedal at all times.

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
When I first got my 05 Acura RL, I had this happen a few times due to my big feet and big shoes. At first I was startled as to why the car was trying to go when I was trying to brake! I got used to it and it doesn't happen anymore. Can be very dangerous and everyone with a new car with an automatic transmission needs to be careful. That powerful 4WD car easily overpowers light braking! For the record, it is improper driving to brake with the left foot. That foot should be resting on the dead pedal at all times.
Exactly right! Good driving habits make for safer driving. Better for you and your car.

·
Registered
187 Posts
hello people; When I drive my 13V I don't use my left foot but when I drive my 86 Buick I do. Something with the pedal heights or something I can't explain but it feels right to me.
IBBY

·
Registered
453 Posts
So I have to ask where you live? And if you live in a state with winter type conditions, which vehicle is your choice to drive? I hear people say their Subaru can not be beat in snow.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Last year there was a video on You Tube of a Subaru pulling a UPS truck out of a ditch in a snowstorm, supposedly after a 4x4 F-150 could not do it. If your question is for me, I no longer have the '13 Subaru, and I don't live in an area that gets much snow.

·
Registered
11 Posts
The left foot only has 2 purposes to either rest on the dead pedal or if you drive a stick to sink the clutch. Never for breaking

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
That is a poor driving habit of the OP sorry to say.

I have though started using my left foot to brake though, i have a cast on my rt foot leg is my excuse though and once its off I will be going back to 1 footed driving once its off. Unless driving my other vehicle which is a mnaual. Need that left foot only for the clutch then.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Unless it's on a track and you're using left-foot braking to initiate a drift. people who use their left foot on the brake should die in horrible flaming crashes. Probably one of the largest single causes of road rage are people unconsciously tapping the brake pedal with their left foot as they drive along in rush hour traffic, totally oblivious to the chaos behind them.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Unless it's on a track and you're using left-foot braking to initiate a drift. people who use their left foot on the brake should die in horrible flaming crashes. Probably one of the largest single causes of road rage are people unconsciously tapping the brake pedal with their left foot as they drive along in rush hour traffic, totally oblivious to the chaos behind them.
Actually, when driving on a track you should learn to drift using the right foot for both the brake and gas. However, you have to be driving a car that is set up to do that.

I agree with you on left foot braking, although I am slightly more forgiving, since some people were taught to drive that way or it was never corrected. My solution is for the brake cable to disappear into the floor when the brake is applied with the left foot. That way the person has the option of doing the right thing before bursting into flames. Either that or brakes applied with the left foot stay engaged until the driver taps the brake pedal with his/her right foot. That way, the car goes nowhere until the driver signals that he gets it. Having learned to drive a manual and driving one for 30 years, I would probably drive off a cliff before I thought to use my left foot to brake. That may not be a good thing.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts