Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As I promised earlier here are some things I learned during my timing belt and radiator change.

As many have said the balancer bolt is a bear. I tried a 500 ft /lb impact to no avail. So I put the special tool on and used about 3 foot of breaker bar and it broke loose.

You can seat and adjust the Timing Belt before reinstalling the covers. The problem being, you need the bolt tight enough to turn the engine counterclockwise without it backing out. But also loose enough to get back out with no way to hold the crankshaft (no pulley). My solution was to set my impact on the lowest setting (100 ft/lbs on mine). This let me turn the crank the way I needed to. Once everything was done, I turned it up to 500 in reverse and the bolt came right out.

I used craftsman number 1 Phillips screwdrivers to pin the camshafts at TDC. Makes getting everything lined up fairly easy. They are 4.7 mm diameter.
Change the water pump. Mine met all the inspection criteria but I changed it anyway. When I got it off I could see where the o-ring was starting to harden and minor seepage was occurring.

The thermostat is actually fairly easy if you take the hose off and the distributor cap.

Flush the overflow tank BEFORE you install the new radiator. Want to guess how I figured that one out.

Don’t try and change the fans over in the car just take the whole assembly out.

Finally, I need to take one of my 16” 3/8 extensions back to Sears. It kept pulling out of the spark plug socket.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I saw a video of the Honda tool on a breaker bar with an extension, where the extension was set on top of a jack stand for leverage. It seemed to work well. When I did my Acura Legend's TB over the summer, I bought the tool on eBay for $25 instead of hassling with an impact wrench, and I used it with a 2ft breaker bar. Bottom line: The Honda tool is the way to go for loosening the crank bolt.

:D at the other things you mention. I've been down the same road on a couple of those items.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts