Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2017 EX-L AWD
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife and I just returned from a pleasant visit to eastern Canada in our U.S. spec AWD EX-L CR-V with navigation.

We used the navigation a lot, and learned a bit from it.

I'd rate this as a serious safety issue with Garmin map data. While traveling from one Provincial Park to another in New Brunswick, the navi had us take a couple of small 'roads', dirt at best, potato sized rocks more typical. Hmm, re-calculate the route, and it said press on. The 'roads' had names and intersections appeared where the map showed them. After a few kms of this, watching the ETA climb steadily, we came to a ravine cross-able only by ATV or snowmobile after the trail groomers filled it in. Clearly the New Brunswick map data Garmin uses has lumped snowmobile trails in with roads. Bad news for cars.

Thanks to AWD, and high ground clearance, we were able to backtrack our way to paved roads. The navigation was set to avoid dirt roads which we verified after getting off the dirt.

We were using the updated maps provided by bibo136 in this topic http://www.crvownersclub.com/forums/137-2017-present-official-specs-features-etc-gen-5/131593-2017-navigation-maps-seriously-out-date-37.html , so maybe the original maps would have been better, but I'm skeptical. I think it's a flaw in Garmin's map data.

It tried a similar trick in Newfoundland. We didn't fall for it this time, it was only a minor shortcut between two real roads, just fine in winter, on a sled.

On another topic, there was no way to set the clock to Newfoundland time (a half hour shift from Atlantic time). Other than constantly being a half hour off, that was more a source of amusement than danger.

·
Super Moderator
1997, 2002, 2017 my expertese lies there
2,719 Posts
guess carplay was out

·
Registered
511 Posts
We were in our 40 motorhome towing our Honda CR-v and heading to Kouchibouguac National Park in Canada late last year. Our Garmin RV 660 (supposedly specially designed for larger RV's) made us turn off of a nice paved road and onto a secondary paved road which turned into a very narrow gravel road. 2 miles down that road is where someone place a sign that indicated "Going to National Park? Turn around and go back to main road." We had to unhook and turn the Honda around, then turn the coach around making a gazillion K turns about a foot or two each to get turned around!

Yea, I was not saying nice things to Mrs Garmin that day!

·
Registered
17 CRV EXL AWD, 14 CRV EXL AWD
2,044 Posts
I do pro bono work for one of the major gps companies, beta testing and so forth. I can confirm that the map data from all of the gps companies have errors. Some errors are just nuisances others can get you into serious trouble. If I'm traveling somewhere that I'm unfamiliar with, I check the route of the gps with another source. When blindly following a gps, you may find yourself a modern day Donner Party or reenacting scenes from Deliverance. That said, it really helps when you find map errors that you notify the gps company of the error. They all have a website for map problems.

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
I do pro bono work for one of the major gps companies, beta testing and so forth. I can confirm that the map data from all of the gps companies have errors. Some errors are just nuisances others can get you into serious trouble. If I'm traveling somewhere that I'm unfamiliar with, I check the route of the gps with another source. When blindly following a gps, you may find yourself a modern day Donner Party or reenacting scenes from Deliverance. That said, it really helps when you find map errors that you notify the gps company of the error. They all have a website for map problems.
The GPS makers do not go out and test every road! They depend on outside sources for their maps both private and government. If you find a problem then report it! The government even provides you with links just for this.

https://www.gps.gov/support/user/mapfix/

Or if you want to go straight to Garmin, try here:

https://my.garmin.com/mapErrors/report.faces

·
Registered
82 Posts
I was directed onto unpaved roads as well on a trip. I realized I need to set my route selections. If you want to go the shortest route, it may very well take you off the main roads. You need to set, shortest, fastest, avoid tolls etc,

·
Registered
101 Posts
WE all have our horror stories about the maps, but make notes about the errors. Garmin has a place on their website to report these errors. They will be corrected in the next issue of the map. AND - Garmin just released a new update for the Honda maps.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I upgraded to bibo136's maps, then updated using the newly released Honda maps. There was a slight improvement from the maps I got with the vehicle, but still generally terrible guidance. However, I am starting to wonder whether the GPS in the CR-V is also at fault -- often, the car thinks I am a 5-10 metres from where I really am, and this influences the navigation. For example, it thinks I am on an off-ramp and finds a route to get me back to the highway, even though I am already on the highway. In fact, it often gets me off the highway only to get me back on it at the next exit. Are there any known issues with the CR-V's GPS hardware?

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
The error you see is perfectly normal. The error of the gps signal is around 10 meters which varies during the day due mostly to variations in atmospheric density, that the signals must pass through. The reason you seem to travel on a mapped road is that the software snaps your position to the closest road to your actual position.
This is the reason aircraft can't use gps in place of Instrument Landing Systems ILS. They would miss the runway way to often.

·
Registered
185 Posts
The error you see is perfectly normal. The error of the gps signal is around 10 meters which varies during the day due mostly to variations in atmospheric density, that the signals must pass through. The reason you seem to travel on a mapped road is that the software snaps your position to the closest road to your actual position.
This is the reason aircraft can't use gps in place of Instrument Landing Systems ILS. They would miss the runway way to often.
https://gis.stackexchange.com/questions/43617/what-is-the-maximum-theoretical-accuracy-of-gps

"The United States government currently claims 4 meter RMS (7.8 meter 95% Confidence Interval) horizontal accuracy for civilian (SPS) GPS. Vertical accuracy is worse. Mind you, that's the minimum. Some devices/locations reliably (95% of the time or better) can get 3 meter accuracy."

·
Registered
2017 EX-L AWD
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
... That said, it really helps when you find map errors that you notify the gps company of the error. They all have a website for map problems.
I'll give it a try. The last time I tried to point out a map error to Garmin, the process was terrible enough that I gave up. I did point out to them that Google maps had it right, but that probably didn't help my case with them.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I recognize that ionospheric effects, multi-path, etc. affect the resolution; but my comment was based on a comparison with other standalone GPS receivers, which seem to achieve closer to the 3-metre minimum. There is a difference -- maybe algorithms or hardware.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I used google map on Iphone when I travel in Arizona and it lost direction many time on the route. Some time the compass is spinning like crazy and show a position in the middle of no where. This problem happen to any navigator so this is not unique to Honda. I have use Garmin, Tomtom, Apple map, google map ect.. Some are better than other but they generally still have problem like indicate that you are in the middle of a river...

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
I recognize that ionospheric effects, multi-path, etc. affect the resolution; but my comment was based on a comparison with other standalone GPS receivers, which seem to achieve closer to the 3-metre minimum. There is a difference -- maybe algorithms or hardware.
Big differences, PND's usually out perform built in navigation equipment. Manufacturers of PND tend to use more expensive gps chip sets that are faster and have more sensitive receivers. Add to that the PND's cpu and software is only concerned about doing one thing, figuring out where it is in the world. Where as a vehicle's infotainment system is busy trying to keep the occupants entertained. Garmin was asked by Honda to provide a software package and I am sure Garmin hasn't had the opportunity to really optimize the their software for the hardware.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts