Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently bought one of those thick rubber license plate frame "bumpers" and when I went to go install it I found that the plastic license plate bracket was drilled directly into the front bumper (through the paint, etc.). I'm assuming this was done by the dealer as Honda wouldn't install the license plate bracket for you. Is this common practice? Granted, I can't imagine any other way that bracket could be attached to the bumper/car. It just seems kind of uh, destructive to just drill right into the bumper like that.

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
I recently bought one of those thick rubber license plate frame "bumpers" and when I went to go install it I found that the plastic license plate bracket was drilled directly into the front bumper (through the paint, etc.). I'm assuming this was done by the dealer as Honda wouldn't install the license plate bracket for you. Is this common practice? Granted, I can't imagine any other way that bracket could be attached to the bumper/car. It just seems kind of uh, destructive to just drill right into the bumper like that.
Yes its normal, envious of no front plate states lol but it helps support the plate
When i did our sport bumper i kept the three mounting screws and even one through the new lip.
Im never taking it off and its not visible so out of sight out of mind.

Some dealers are butchers, some are super clean drilling

Years ago hondas had pre drilled holes and sold colormatched plugs, but now saving pennies lol

·
Registered
639 Posts
Yeah, I think that's normal practice unless you live in a state that doesn't require front plates ( as should be the case in all states). Mine came from a non front plate state but before I could get to the dlr, they had already installed the plate holder in the bumper. I was gonna somehow configure attachment to the grill area. That was before I knew of the active grill shutters. For yrs. when I had Miatas I never ran a front plate because if someone bumped you it would put bolt dimples in the bumper. Never got a ticket and if I had would have just pd it and kept going.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Darn. I have two much older Hondas: 2003 Accord, 1994 Prelude, and both have license plate brackets that do not require screwing through the bumper. Instead they mount from underneath. Imagine the bracket having a cross section that is "L" shaped and the lower/horizontal part of the "L" goes into the grill opening, and is bolted into the bumper from there.

The thing I wonder though, do the CA dealers do this for you (and drill holes into the bumper) because they are being nice and helpful or because they are required by liability to do so (in case you don't know your on state's front plate laws and because the dealer didn't do it for you you continued to drive around w/o your front plate, eventually get a ticket, and blame it on the dealer for not having "installed" your front plate bracket)?

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
Darn. I have two much older Hondas: 2003 Accord, 1994 Prelude, and both have license plate brackets that do not require screwing through the bumper. Instead they mount from underneath. Imagine the bracket having a cross section that is "L" shaped and the lower/horizontal part of the "L" goes into the grill opening, and is bolted into the bumper from there.

The thing I wonder though, do the CA dealers do this for you (and drill holes into the bumper) because they are being nice and helpful or because they are required by liability to do so (in case you don't know your on state's front plate laws and because the dealer didn't do it for you you continued to drive around w/o your front plate, eventually get a ticket, and blame it on the dealer for not having "installed" your front plate bracket)?

You can get away without three holes because of te L that hooks under
But after you drill two it is more ‘sturdy’ with the third

Non front plate states are supposed to ask you if you want the holder installed or just toss it in trunk (thats why alot on ebay) lol

·
Registered
453 Posts
I'm from a no front plate state, and I surprised at how many people are so proud of their personalized plates they actually pay money to have someone make an identical plate just so they can mount one on the front! Go figure....each to his own I guess.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I'm from a no front plate state, however my dealer thoughtfully drilled some holes in my bumper to put one of their advertisement plates on.

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
I'm from a no front plate state, however my dealer thoughtfully drilled some holes in my bumper to put one of their advertisement plates on.
I would have made him find me another one less the plate holes.
I agree with jdcrv!

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
I would have made him find me another one less the plate holes.
maybe go back and tell them the front bumper needs to be replaced. they got their $$ on your purchase.....

with all the items created for inside the Hondas, I'm surprised no one/company hasn't created a heavy plastic attachment like I and others had for other Hondas.

·
Registered
104 Posts
I like it that here in AZ we only have to have rear plates. For my 2012 Pilot and my wife's 2018 CR-V, the front plate holders are in a plastic bag with the carpeted floor mats for both cars; I always put all-weather mats in our vehicles.

My 1957 Pontiac, even though it was an AZ car, was in California when it was restored, so it has a front license plate holder. However, here in AZ, if one orders vanity plates, one gets two instead of one. I have 57CHFTN vanity plates on my Pontiac, so I have one on the front. Interestingly, the former owner had the same vanity plates on it in California. https://tinyurl.com/My1957pontiacchieftain

I guess great minds think alike. ;);)

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
my wife's 2018 CR-V, the front plate holders are in a plastic bag with the carpeted floor mats for both cars;
i find this part interesting as most of us in "no front plate states" never received a front plastic plate holder - unless you are meaning the plate "frames">

confused.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Personally, being a native Cali guy I guess I am used to the front plates. I could always rationalize it helps law enforcement recognize suspects more readily. It has nothing to do with registration, as we only use annual tags on the rear plate.

Our dealer did a very neat job on drilling for the front plates.
Stickers on the windshield for 'state inspections' would bother me more

I never liked the idea of personalized plates, or unique loud colors, mods, etc. either. I understand the advantages of exercising your individuality, but if I make a stupid mistake on the road (or even it's NOT my fault) I would rather not be that easily recognized by some psycho driver. Even more important, if it is my wife or daughter driving the car.

·
Registered
453 Posts
Personally, being a native Cali guy I guess I am used to the front plates. I could always rationalize it helps law enforcement recognize suspects more readily. It has nothing to do with registration, as we only use annual tags on the rear plate.

Our dealer did a very neat job on drilling for the front plates.
Stickers on the windshield for 'state inspections' would bother me more

I never liked the idea of personalized plates, or unique loud colors, mods, etc. either. I understand the advantages of exercising your individuality, but if I make a stupid mistake on the road (or even it's NOT my fault) I would rather not be that easily recognized by some psycho driver. Even more important, if it is my wife or daughter driving the car.
I was driving with a police officer one day as part of my job and she suddenly became very alert and radio in that such and such was just spotted driving in the opposite direction ......... I asked her how on earth she spotted the car and she pointed to one of several screens and said the "camera" spotted the front plate and alerted her the car was wanted. I didn't even know they could do that!

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Oh, dealer advertisements are the worst. I know some dealers (not just Honda), for SUV's that have the spare mounted on the trunk, they'll remove the factory hard plastic cover and put on their own cheap vinyl cover that has their dealership name printed on them. I had a friend that once bought a CR-V where the dealer did that and when he realized that the car should actually have a factory hard plastic cover he went back to the dealer and asked for it back. Other irritating things are adhesive emblems or stickers with the dealer name/logo that they'll thoughtfully put on places like the rear trunk lid. Do they really think the new owner would want that on their car? I was lucky, the dealer I bought mine from (San Leandro Honda in CA), didn't do any of this nonsense.

Speaking of which I found this interesting webpage related to car dealership advertisement:

http://www.goingfaster.com/driverseat/advert.html

·
Registered
137 Posts
...The thing I wonder though, do the CA dealers do this for you (and drill holes into the bumper) because they are being nice and helpful or because they are required by liability to do so (in case you don't know your on state's front plate laws and because the dealer didn't do it for you you continued to drive around w/o your front plate, eventually get a ticket, and blame it on the dealer for not having "installed" your front plate bracket)?
See #7 in Service Bulletin: http://techinfo.honda.com/Rjanisis/pubs/SB/AH/A17-080/enu/A17-080.PDF

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
ROFLMAO... smart Honda employees would continually report up to corp = and if you get it the right person: "there is no license plate holder supplied. we have to damage the front bumper to install a plate". the right person in Japan would say "create plate holders that don't screw into bumper and get to every dealer".
squeaky wheel gets the oil...

great document.. now i know what the little cover is for on by the shift.

·
Registered
2,809 Posts
When I purchased my 2014 CR-V EX they didn't have the color I wanted instock, so they asked me to sign a purchase agreement so they could order one.

There was a section where additional information could be added, and I wrote in "No dealer badges or decals applied to any painted surface" and then signed it. They initially said they couldn't do that, so I said okay, then tear up the agreement and I'll go somewhere else.
It took the sales guy going back to talk to the sales manager, but they eventually agreed.

There was a dealer license plate frame on the rear, and the plastic bracket for the front plate was in the cargo area.
The license plate frame stayed on until I got it home, and then went in the trash.

JM2C

·
Registered
203 Posts
I was driving with a police officer one day as part of my job and she suddenly became very alert and radio in that such and such was just spotted driving in the opposite direction ......... I asked her how on earth she spotted the car and she pointed to one of several screens and said the "camera" spotted the front plate and alerted her the car was wanted. I didn't even know they could do that!
I am not surprised, we have local cops with cameras on the rear fenders for accidents, crowd control, and I guess getting a good look at your front plate if you are behind them. PLUS this:

http://abc30.com/society/clovis-police-department-using-upgraded-license-plate-scanner-system-to-help-catch-car-thieves/1444743/

1 - 20 of 22 Posts