Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

21 - 40 of 56 Posts

·
2,785 Posts
Michelin absolutely is the best, by a wide margin. Michelin invented the radial tire, as well as the best manufacturing process. They pioneered every major tire advancement known. They are definitely not cheap, but there are always deals to be had which can get you a set of good quality Michelins for low enough prices to make them a better deal than any other maker's tires. It's also best practice to replace your tires in sets of 4 rather than 2. Also, you never want to run two different brands, or types, or tread patterns, or sizes. For best safety and handling, you want identical ties all around, and if you have AWD, they need to be exactly the same and preferably a set installed at the same time, so that the diameter remains consistent. If you cannot buy more than two at a time, make sure they are still identical, and keep pairs on front or rear, to avoid damage to the differentials.

Here in Texas, your tires will start to deteriorate on the outside of the sidewalls long before any internal oxidation becomes an issue. If your tires are showing mild or little cracking on the sidewalls, you are likely good to go for a while yet if you still have the tread depth. That 6-year replacement recommendation is more about marketing than safety. Having had far more tire experience than others here, I can tell you that much. This is not to discount the experiences of others at all, as everyone does the best they can with what they've seen with their own eyes, which is a good method. In the end, you have to go with your gut, and do what you think is best for you, because it's your money and your safety.

I highly recommend you save up for a bit longer if possible and then get a full set of Michelins. The Energy Saver A/S and Latitude Tour HP are both excellent choices and reasonably priced at Discount Tire. Watch closely for Spring sales.

·
Registered
3,182 Posts
Hello Fellow CR-V Neighbors,

I have two Bridge Stone tires that I bought in November of 2014. The milage was around 73,000 miles. Today my milage is at 129,000. I was told potentially the tires could get close to 80,000 miles but not to exceed 6 years. There is plenty of tread left on these tires. I am still in the green zone according to their graph. Of course if I go into Discount Tires and ask this question they will tell me I need to get new tires. Two new tires will cost me $ 400.00 plus tax. My funds can be meager so I wanted to get your opinions before handing over that good money. I am retired and I don't do that much driving. I do take her on short road trips now and then.

Thankyou for all replies!

Love my 2007 EX-L!
If you want some tire facts, not opinions, go to your local library and look at the December 2019 issue of Consumer Reports.......6 pages on tire ratings/testing and tire retailers rated by customer satisfaction.

Of the 7 tire types rated/tested, the M-man was "top rated" in only 2 of the 7 categories.......and saying "by a wide margin", that's just off the wall wrong. Highly rated in all 7 categories, yes.....but NOT "absolutely the best by a wide margin" in any of the categories. The M-man IS the highest priced in ALL 7 categories.

After reading the CR tire ratings, go online to some tire retailers and check prices. Lots of excellent tires available without TV advertising costs added into the price.

OP, do your research and based and based upon your budget, just go git 'er done. Here's my opinion, new tires, within your budget and installed now would be better than waiting/saving for M-mans down the road. Another opinion/saying, don't put off 'til tomorrow, what you can do today.

·
Registered
2,714 Posts
I take it that Michelin is the best tire perhaps?
They are excellent tires for a CRV. I have put them on all my CRVs and Accords over the years when replacing worn out OEM tires.

I used to get them at Costco, but now I get them at Americas Tire.... because they are price competitive, offer better quality service, and when Michelins are on sale at Costco.. they have also always been on sale at Americas Tire... for the same price or slightly better.

They are pretty far up on the price curve though... so if you are on a budget, there are better options cost wise.

·
Registered
2 Posts

I have two Bridge Stone tires that I bought in November of 2014. The milage was around 73,000 miles. Today my milage is at 129,000. I was told potentially the tires could get close to 80,000 miles but not to exceed 6 years. There is plenty of tread left on these tires. I am still in the green zone according to their graph. Of course if I go into Discount Tires and ask this question they will tell me I need to get new tires. Two new tires will cost me $ 400.00 plus tax. My funds can be meager so I wanted to get your opinions before handing over that good money. I am retired and I don't do that much driving. I do take her on short road trips now and then.

Love my 2007 EX-L!
[/QUOTE=LimoDon]
I had been told by a tire guy that I trust, that the law requires a tire not to be over 7 yrs old to be on the road. They DO break down internally due to age! My Miata was in storage for 10 years, and tires were 80% good tread, but it shimmied and shook all the way to the tire store when put back on the road! Hope this helps.

·
Registered
7 Posts

Love my 2007 EX-L!

·
Registered
21 Posts

Love my 2007 EX-L!
My 2003 Dodge Ram has the original Firestone tires, yes, 17 years old, but only 25,000 miles on the vehicle. There are no visible cracks, so I will continue to monitor them and drive on. I rotate them every 5000 miles. I'm sure I'll hear the gloom and doom commentary from some folks. I also plug tires if I pick up a foreign object that results in air loss - and run the tread off them afterward, including my motorcycle tires. Been doing so for over 55 years, never had a blowout.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I'm on my 5th CRV (2000, 2004, 2007, 2011 & 2010) & know them fairly well by now. I don't mess around with tires & brakes. God forbid if you have an accident, those are the first mechanical items checked. Your tires are 5+ years old & they have cracks even if you can't see them. For $400, I wouldn't take the chance of a blow out or other incident. You can't put a price on safety. BTW, I've never replaced only 2 tires - I do all 4 @ once & make certain they're rotated on schedule. Also, I don't go for the cheap ones - I like Michellin or Bridgestone & do read the CRV forum, Consumer Reports, etc. My final suggestion is to try to do this: if you know you have a major purchase like tires coming up & are tight on cash, make an effort to have an ongoing car maintenance fund, compare prices, remember that often you get what you pay for & aim to pay in full for them.

·
Registered
3,182 Posts
[/QUOTE=LimoDon]
I had been told by a tire guy that I trust, that the law requires a tire not to be over 7 yrs old to be on the road. They DO break down internally due to age! My Miata was in storage for 10 years, and tires were 80% good tread, but it shimmied and shook all the way to the tire store when put back on the road! Hope this helps.

It's my under standing that a tire shop is not allowed to re-install a tire 7 years old or older (or is it 6 years).?‍♂

The individual owner can do whatever he wants (even with 17 year old tires).

·
Registered
7 Posts

Love my 2007 EX-L!
Also consider the YEAR the tire was made (on the sidewall) I try to replace any that have cracks or are 5 years old.

·
Registered
58 Posts

Love my 2007 EX-L!
I switched from Bridgstone to continental at Discount for my CRV, couldn't be happier. https://www.discounttire.com/buy-tires/continental-truecontact-tour/p/36710

·
Registered
16 Posts
Tires are the ONLY thing connecting you to the road surface. THAT is the most important thing to remind yourself of when making a purchase and considering savings before actual value.

That being said, we are currently running a set of General Altimax RT43s on our 2010 CRV and they have been absolutely the best tire for the money I have ever owned. I have had Cheap no name brands, Michelin, Good Year, BF Goodrich, Pirelli and I am sure one or two others that I can't think of at the moment. Michelin are the best overall over the long term. Meaning you are more likely to have a better overall ownership and use experience with them than any other brand or sub-brand. Continental are really good tires and are likely right there behind Michelin and Goodyear is third (All this being local to the most popular brands in NA). General belongs to Continental but is still operated independently.

The most unbiased opinion I can give you is save what you can and go to TireRack and do some serious reading. You are putting these on a CRV and not a sports car so focus on ride comfort and traction in the wet and snow if you have snow (Although I am of the church of get winters if you have snow on a regular basis where you live). I cheaped out once only on tires and the experience was not at all good. I did this when I was not in the best of financial positions so I had to get what I could. After the experience, I learned... Fewer movies and more saved for the tires...

My personal ranking on brand based on experience overall is as follows.
  • General
  • Pirelli
  • Michelin
  • BF Goodrich
  • Goodyear
  • MotoMaster (Made by Goodyear)
  • President (No idea who made them and I don't think they are around anymore (Canada))
My intentions for the replacements on the CRV are either yet another set of Altimax RT43 or possibly upgrade to something from Continental. My GenX Civic will get (When the factory 3 seasons are done) Continental or Michelins in a grand touring flavour with only a 500 tread rating for the traction (AA). Both vehicles have General Altimax Arctic 12 series winters.

·
2,785 Posts
If you want some tire facts, not opinions, go to your local library and look at the December 2019 issue of Consumer Reports.......6 pages on tire ratings/testing and tire retailers rated by customer satisfaction.

Of the 7 tire types rated/tested, the M-man was "top rated" in only 2 of the 7 categories.......and saying "by a wide margin", that's just off the wall wrong. Highly rated in all 7 categories, yes.....but NOT "absolutely the best by a wide margin" in any of the categories. The M-man IS the highest priced in ALL 7 categories.

After reading the CR tire ratings, go online to some tire retailers and check prices. Lots of excellent tires available without TV advertising costs added into the price.

OP, do your research and based and based upon your budget, just go git 'er done. Here's my opinion, new tires, within your budget and installed now would be better than waiting/saving for M-mans down the road. Another opinion/saying, don't put off 'til tomorrow, what you can do today.
How does Consumer Reports magically turn "rated by customer satisfaction" into facts? Customer satisfaction ratings are opinions, not facts. Not only do they say it, but so did you! Also, tire reviews are shared, from one tire website to another. You can find the exact same individual tire reviews from the same customers on all of those sites.

[/QUOTE=LimoDon]

It's my under standing that a tire shop is not allowed to re-install a tire 7 years old or older (or is it 6 years).?‍♂

The individual owner can do whatever he wants (even with 17 year old tires).
Any such law would be by state, and would be unenforceable anyway. You can go to any tire shop anywhere in Texas and have a tire shop fix a flat (assuming it is repairable), rotate your tires, or balance them, regardless of their age. Any tire shop who tells you otherwise is just throwing your business away, because you can go down the street to the next tire shop, and they will do whatever you need. Tire shops are not where you would run afoul of any tire condition laws, anyway (excepting rude sales techniques). That would only happen when you take the car for state inspection, and if that happens, you can just go to the next inspection station, and they won't say a word. In fact, such things are so unenforceable that some states have abolished vehicle inspections altogether. Texas is expected to do this this year. Meanwhile, anyone in any state can order tires online, have them shipped direct, and then have them installed at the mom & pop tire shop in the neighborhood. I know folks who do it that way to save money. Personally, I just deal with Discount Tire, because they are down the street from the house, and have never failed to take good care of me, or said no to anything I asked of them.

Does that mean it's a safe practice? Only you can decide what works best for you. Everything you read on tires is opinion. All those publication reports, all those tire reviews, what you read here, etc. All of it. Including what I say. So in the end you just have to break out the salt shaker and make your own decision. But at least now you have some ideas, eh? Good luck on it, Epona, and let us know what you wind up doing.

·
Registered
14 Posts

Love my 2007 EX-L!
In my experience of driving 55 years as long as the tread is good and there is no dry rot on the sidewalls (on either side) they should be safe. I have had some tires 10+ years that were still safe. I only had one blowout in my life. I then learned about dry rot as the tread was still excellent. I was driving to Florida in the heat. But you'll have to decide. A new set of tires may not last as long as the pair you currently have. It is a safe idea to closely inspect all your tires monthly as I do.

·
Everything in Moderation
2006 CR-V EX, 5MT
8,435 Posts
Again, 'old-age' tires can LOOK fine (no cracks) visually, but because the rubber is old & brittle, one good WHACK from a pothole could cause them to fail. IT HAS HAPPENED.

For those who like to tempt fate, you can sometimes find un-used tires on eBay that are 'timed-out' at discount prices... :rolleyes: In all honesty, if this type of tire was stored inside at a constant temperature, it would have more life remaining than if it were installed on a car and driven for 6 years.

·
Registered
14 Posts
In my experience of driving 55 years as long as the tread is good and there is no dry rot on the sidewalls (on either side) they should be safe. I have had some tires 10+ years that were still safe. I only had one blowout in my life. I then learned about dry rot as the tread was still excellent. I was driving to Florida in the heat. But you'll have to decide. A new set of tires may not last as long as the pair you currently have. It is a safe idea to closely inspect all your tires monthly as I do.
...In reading my advice...ALSO look for dry rot in between the tread.

·
Registered
39 Posts

Love my 2007 EX-L!
IMO I would think about saving up for a new set of tires. A lot of people think that low mileage and being able to go 6 to 10 years before replacing tires is ok. The sidewalls facing the outside of the car may look good, especially if they get some Armor All on them now and then, but the sidewalls facing the inside may have started cracking and that is something you may not see. You certainly would not want one to blow out as you are traveling down the road. Hopefully you'll get a good price deal on getting some replacements soon..... be safe in your CR-V!

·
Registered
132 Posts
Regardless of the age and mileage, have your tires inspected by an ASE certified technician. Some tires can last a long time... others, not so much. It depends on your weather, UV exposure, driving style.... I always thought... well, if they look ok (no wires, enough tread...) they're fine. Well, that's not necessarily true. Always have them inspected during rotation. Tires get dry rot... have them inspected. If they need to be replaced after 3 years, do it... if they are good for 5-6 years, awesome.

·
Supporting Vendor
Tire & Wheel Specialists
433 Posts
There has been a lot of information on tire age and wear in this thread. I would recommend stopping at your local America's Tire Discount Tire store for an inspection to be safe.

Here is a link to some good safety information:

Tire Safety | Discount Tire

If we can be of assistance please let us know.

·
Registered
2,714 Posts
How does Consumer Reports magically turn "rated by customer satisfaction" into facts? Customer satisfaction ratings are opinions, not facts. Not only do they say it, but so did you! Also, tire reviews are shared, from one tire website to another. You can find the exact same individual tire reviews from the same customers on all of those sites.
CR actually performs their own long term life testing on Tires. Full life testing, under actual road conditions... which is why CR has the best data on actual tire life expectations, vs what manufacturers claim in their warranties. CR DOES NOT simply rely on customer feedback.

When they do incorporate customer feedback, they do not take open ended feedback into their review process.. but instead use formally developed objective surveys to tease out factual information from any respondents. They will allow CR customers to make comments on posted reviews by CR.. but they DO NOT use those as part of their rollup of ratings and recommendations.

And before you go "old school" yet again... this time about surveys..... sorry pal.. but you can indeed design surveys that weed out customer subjectivity and even attempts to distort or mislead.

·
Registered
3,182 Posts
CR just does voodoo black magic "magically" on their 327 acre automotive and tire testing facility. It just gets weirder and weirder from Austin.

21 - 40 of 56 Posts