Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently purchased a 2016 EX w/o Nav and while I love the car, the head unit was extremely underwhelming. I read through various articles about how to get my iPhone 6S working with Sygic Nav and the proprietary Honda cable but to be perfectly honest, that setup didn't sound like much of an upgrade.

Then I started looking into Mirrorlink functionality with the HTC M9 and as stated it's pretty awesome.

The GOOD:

--I essentially have an LTE Android tablet in my dash
--Google Maps, Waze, Spotify, Chrome, YouTube, Play Store, all tested and working 100% from the head unit.
--Interface is snappy and responsive for a capacitive touch screen. Pinch, rotate, and other multi-touch gestures included.
--Hands down the best OEM-ish infotainment I have ever used.
--Backup camera still works normally, right turn camera still works normally.

>>> For the record, I have absolutely no interest in using YouTube or any other video service while I am driving the car--that would be reckless, irresponsible and a flagrant middle finger to the other people I am sharing the road with. This was done for testing purposes only in the parking lot of my apartment complex.

The BAD:

--I am still dependent on my iPhone 6S for regular phone duty, and while the CR-V will allow the iPhone to remain paired for music, the M9 is the only thing recognized as a phone--I don't have and am not planning to put a voice/data plan on the M9. It stays in airplane mode to conserve battery life while the car is off. So currently I am without a handsfree phone option. I am considering just getting a separate hands free mic/speaker for the sun visor. I messed around pairing and unpairing the phones in different sequences and even changing which phone was configured with HondaLink, but in the Phone menu, under 'Connect Phone,' both devices show as connected--the music note icon is lit up next to the iPhone and the phone icon is lit up next to the M9. I realize I could just migrate to the Android phone but TBH I am too deep into the Apple ecosystem to turn back now. I was an Android user from the G1 but I left and went to Apple for a reason and don't want to go back just for this. If anyone knows how to work around this I would be SO INCREDIBLY GRATEFUL!!

--I bought my M9 on eBay for a steal, however the battery has seen better days, YMMV. Tonight will be my first test as to whether it can handle an overnight in the car without the battery dying. The USB 1 in the center box is some what anemic when it comes to power. Any suggestions on that? Is it possible to use a Y cable with 2 USB-A and 1 Micro-USB and get power from both ports? Or will that confuse the head unit?
--I still have to do the DD VSP Error off button sequence every time I drive the car. Turning on snapshot does not save the setting. I am planning on installing a Crux unit in the future to solve this permanently when I swap the speakers.

The UGLY:

--Waze makes the M9 overheat to the point that it throttles the phone and shuts off charging--plus the excess heat further damages the already compromised battery. I suspect it is due to all the Waze crowd sourcing and advertising services banging the CPU. I drove for a much longer period with both Google Maps and Spotify running and did not experience this overheating problem.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi,

Can you tell me more info on how you set up your mirrorlink? I have a Samsung phone and mirrorlink doesn't seem to work.
Thanks

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi,

Can you tell me more info on how you set up your mirrorlink? I have a Samsung phone and mirrorlink doesn't seem to work.
Thanks
From everything I've read the only phones that really work with Mirrorlink on the CR-V are the HTC M8 and M9. It seems to be tied to how the phone manufacturer implements Mirrorlink. All I had to do was connect the M9 via Bluetooth and USB and wait for the little arrow to pop up on the right side, press it, and then press the 'Car' app.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts