Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've owned many Honda's lifetime mainly Civics and Accords along with an Element. Iv'e wanted a 1st gen CR-V for a while now, but they are somewhat hard to find in AWD & 5spd. My wishes came true the other day and I scored exactly what I wanted for only $800. It has 257k miles on it and was pretty dirty when I got it. So far I've spent hours cleaning it and painted the rims black. Only maintenance things so far have been plugs, wires, dizzy cap/rotor, motor, rear diff and trans oil changed. The brakes and shocks are pretty bad so I got those parts ordered. Needs a little TLC but for only $800 its a super solid car and have big plans for this thing and will have lots of modifications coming soon
IMG_20200109_171313.jpg

·
Registered
2,922 Posts
And it's a manual transmission! :D

If you don't have maintenance records there are two...okay, three things I'd suggest.
First, adjust the valves, and then put it on your schedule to check the valve adjustment every year.
Second, if the brake fluid hasn't been changed recently, bleed the brakes using new brake fluid. And then bleed the clutch system, since it uses brake fluid.

Does the clock work? :)

And remember to enjoy your CR-V! :D

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
And it's a manual transmission! :D

If you don't have maintenance records there are two...okay, three things I'd suggest.
First, adjust the valves, and then put it on your schedule to check the valve adjustment every year.
Second, if the brake fluid hasn't been changed recently, bleed the brakes using new brake fluid. And then bleed the clutch system, since it uses brake fluid.

Does the clock work? :)

And remember to enjoy your CR-V! :D
I have read that the B20 is known for value issues so I will most likely be doing that very soon. I almost feel like it might have the original timing belt on it because the vin# sticker that spans over both the plastic pieces covering the belt doesn't looks like its been apart. So I will be doing all the belts, water pump, seals and valve adjustment hopefully soon. Thanks for the advice on the brakes and clutch, I wasn't aware those are common things as well.
Also apparently a working CRV clock is like striking gold?

·
Registered
2,922 Posts
The clock in the 1st Gen's has issues with some of the 'traces' on the clock's printed circuit board cracking, which means the clock stops working. If you're handy with a soldering iron and electrical components then it's a pretty easy fix. If not, search eBay for "2001 honda cr-v clock" and you'll find several different options, including services where you send them your clock, which they fix and return to you, buying a repaired clock and you send them your non-working clock, and just buying an already repaired clock.

·
Registered
3,048 Posts
Engine coolant drain/flush/refill? Looks sahweeeet! Put some of that tire shine on the black plastic side panels/bumpers.

·
Registered
105 Posts
This looks similar to our dark green 1998 CRV ( automatic) . A great vehicle with a cool picnic table in back and fold down flap between the front seats that let you walk into the back. Unfortunately it was T-boned and totalled in 2004 by a car running a red light at 60 km/hr with my wife driving it. She was not hurt, had a sore wrist for a couple of days but that was all. I do notice several of this generation still around, speaks highly of the quality.
Of course changing the timing belt is important if it is original, fluids etc and just follow the recommendations in the manual. I never got to the point of checking valves on mine.
Have fun with your new CRV!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

• Engine coolant drain/flush/refill? Looks sahweeeet! Put some of that tire shine on the black plastic side panels/bumpers.
Radiator, hoses, thermostat and flushing the system is coming very shortly. The radiator is better bad and leaking. I actually bought new bumpers and I'm going to restore the side pieces as well

·
Registered
3,048 Posts
👍👍

·
1,947 Posts
Wow - that thing is in pristine condition! Great find! I tried long and hard to find a manual '05-'06, but gave up after more than a year of searching with no luck. The heck of it was, my granddaughter had an '05, but she crashed it. She then went out and replaced it with another '05 but with an automatic. Looks like it has a lot of potential. Enjoy it!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The CR-V got some exterior goodies yesterday. Looks so much better with new bumpers and lights. I also plasti-dipped the entire grille at first, but then decided I liked the blue part showing. Next things to install are Brakes F/R, Struts/Springs F/R, Driverside window regulator and trailer hitch

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

After working on the CR-V for pretty much two full days straight it finally has new struts/springs, new brakes and a trailer hitch. The front was pretty easy, but the back shock bolts both broke and was and absolute nightmare to cut/drill them out. I didn't dare try and undue the other bolts holding the trailing arms on because I was afraid to brake those to so I had to cut the bolts out with the shock in place. It was pretty horrible. Still have a decent amount of clunking in the front which is pretty disappointing after all that. I'm hoping the torque mounts that I still have to install will solve that

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The CR-V got some more TLC over the weekend. Installed a new radiator, thermostat, all new coolant hoses and flushed the entire system. Also installed an OBX stainless cat back exhaust and some blue gauges. Exhaust has a nice deep sound to it and is not raspy sounding at all which I'm very happy about.

·
1,947 Posts
I like it! My only caveat would be that I don't like a rack that interferes with rear hatch operation, as I use the rear hatch daily. I'd rather have a rack that mounts to the spare tire rack. But otherwise, I love it! Wish I had a 5-speed. Aargh!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I like it! My only caveat would be that I don't like a rack that interferes with rear hatch operation, as I use the rear hatch daily. I'd rather have a rack that mounts to the spare tire rack. But otherwise, I love it! Wish I had a 5-speed. Aargh!
This rack actually holds flat, but then also folds rather down at an angle so I can open the hatch! Most of the nicer racks now a days do this I believe

·
1,947 Posts
This rack actually holds flat, but then also folds rather down at an angle so I can open the hatch! Most of the nicer racks now a days do this I believe
Okay, I see. Well, that is helpful, but still wouldn't work for me as it would still be in my way. It's okay, though, I don't need a rack anyways. But that is a nice one. And I won't say the obvious here. :giggle:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts