Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Gen 2, 2006 5-speed manual and just ordered Bilstein HDs to replace all 4 struts. (After a lot of scouring the internet I found the best deal from TireRack which gave me free shipping and came to $630- a lot, but WAY less than from anywhere else I could find).

My next question is about upgrading my springs for a little bit of lift. Its my daily driver so I don't want much lift... just a wee bit.

From what I found looking at reviews/forums, Old Man Emu (OME), Dobinson & Ironman are the best & make springs to fit CRVs.

Ironman doesn't make any for an '06 - so they're out.

For 2001-2007 CRV's, OME sells .75" lift springs for the rear only. Not sure why, but it must be because they tend to run low in the back &/or to assist with towing?
Here's a link showing what OME offer for CRVs: http://www.arbusa.com/uploads/PDF/accessorizeYourRig/hondaCRV.pdf
I love how very other year/generation of CRV gets options for front and rear except mine. Sucks!

Then I saw what rocky-road offers: http://www.rocky-road.com/honda-crv-lift-kit.html
Again, for OMEs on an '06 its just the rear, but they offer it in 1.5" -that doesn't make much sense to me now.
Lower on the page, however, they show Dobinsons for an '06. 1.5" lift for both the front and rear.

With the mixed info of what's available I'm not sure what to go for. I guess if I assume that OME's rational is that on an '06, the rear end is roughly .75" lower than the front, then guess I'd like .75" lift in the front and 1.5" in the rear, but can't find much on where to get that.

I've emailed various manufacturers & vendors & hope to hear some responses sometime. So I decided to ask the knowledgable folks here to see if anyone could help shed some light on this for me.

Thanks,
NickJ

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I saw that too. But then I read that spacer lifts can mess your car up & that its best to go with springs, for CRVs anyway.

I'm curious why OME only offers the lift for the rear?
Whatever reason they have to lift the rear only, lifting the front and rear probably shouldn't be done to the same degree and instead with a difference of 0.75"-1.5" between the front and rear.

I'd like to get some bigger tires. 215/75/R15. I imagine that lifting the rear only wouldn't help these tires to fit any better on the front.

·
Registered
442 Posts
Spacer lifts should not mess up your car as longs as they are done right. There are a few folks who have lifted using spacer lifts ... for the crv as long as you stay at around 2" you should be ok with an alignment.
If you want to go the springs route check Dobinsons USA catalogue and / or check with them.
No idea why OME has rear springs only.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Contacted Dobinsons USA. They don't have any in stock on this continent so they'd have to order from down under. They gave me a shipping estimate of $194!

Rock Road's shipping is $50, so looks like I'm going with Rocky Rd.

Now I just need to find out if they can have Dobinson cut the front springs down from 1.5" to 1" lift.
Otherwise my options are:
1) try cutting and heat bending them myself which will be a nasty pain,
2) leaving them to be 1.5" all around
3) add a 1/2" spacer to the rears to compensate for the sag.

·
Registered
442 Posts
Good luck ! Keep us posted.
I believe there are folks in the Honda-tech and hondasuv forums that have lifted a gen2 with spacers. You may want to get info on that.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I spent the last few days reading every single post in the 72 page thread devoted to lifting CRVs over in the Honda-Tech Forum. I know over there there are tons of folks who lift their V's. Most of them do seem to do it with spacers and after reading some of their contributions through the years (did I mention 72 pages spanning nearly 3 years?), it was my observation that many who lifted spacers seemed to run into more issues and wear n' tear than those who went the spring route. OME & Dobinson seem to be the highest rated. Ironmans had mixed reviews.

That said, I will be using a 1/2" spacer in the rear to compensate for rear end sag however, just gotta find em.

In 2-3 weeks, I should be getting my Dobinson 1.5" lift for all four from Rocky Rd & the Bilstein HD's are already on their way.

While waiting for the springs, I need to find 1/2" rear spacer so my suspension lift will be well balanced at 1.5" in the front and 2" in the rear. CMR sells them, but they're sold out, $100, & apparently their customer service is terrible. Somebody on the H-T thread's mailing me the template for em so I can fabricate my own if I can't find em any other way. Spacers can be milled from aluminum or HDPE plastic from cutting boards.

I'm keeping my OEM rims.

For tires I chose General Grabber AT2's over BFG KO2's because they have a great snow rating, are quieter and smoother on pavement and the KO2's are roughly $100 more per tire.

Tire sizing:
Stock = 215/65/16
Max = 225/75/16 - though these would be the biggest and look the best, they'll negatively impact my fuel efficiency.
Since this is my daily driver, I'm going with the more conservative 215/70/16's.

I also ordered modest 5mm wheel spacers which I might not use. I figure they might help to improve roll-over stability.

I also need to decide whether to get new upper strut mounts or hope the ones on my ride will suffice.

·
Registered
442 Posts
Great nj1001 ! Looks like you have done lot of research and thanks for sharing the info.
Bigger /taller springs with shocks are always better that spacers, cant wait to see your crv with the Dobinson's installed ! I am jealous as there are very very few options for Gen 3 ... OME has a .75 inch lift ... CMR has new coilovers but not much info there and they have not responded to my emails !!

General Grabbers AT2 are fantastic ! I have them on my Suzuki sx4 for last 2 years and they are great on snow/ice, off road and on highway as well.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well, I found out that ordering Dobinson springs from Rocky Road for a 2nd gen is a tad futile. I realized Rocky Rd refunded my money and they called me to explain. Apparently, someone else tried ordering from them year ago and after waiting several months for the springs, they cancelled his order too. They said that they've still been waiting for them. So I contacted Dobinson myself. Their US branch (in Florida) doesn't have them in stock. They said they're expecting stock to arrive March 2016! So, I contacted their main Australian location. Shipping by way of cargo ship takes 2 months & might somehow be cheaper. Since I couldn't wait that long, I opted to pay for air shipping to the tune of $194 but its being sent today & will supposedly reach me in 4 days! This makes my grand total spring cost $515!

I just ordered HDPE 3/8" cutting boards to cut my rear spacer & should be just about ready to do this within a week hopefully. Apparently, CRM's 2nf gen rear spacers are actually 3/8" which produces 1/2" of lift to make up for rear end sag. CMR sells them for $100, they're made of aluminum & are sold out, so this is a far better option in my opinion.

Ugh... all said & done, this is turning out to be a bit more than I was initially expecting. Bilstein HD struts were over $600, now springs over $500. Spent another $100 on ball joints, & other stuff I need to replace.

The last thing will be tires which will probably run me over $500 more for 5 of them + balancing and the critical alignment.

Really tempted to go for the 225/75/16 but I dunno how much more strain it'll put on resulting in poorer gas mileage.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts