Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have stock 2010 last year true 4WD EX and have 235/65R-17 tires. Looking to replace with 1 inch~~1.5 inch~~2 inch lift to allow for 255/55R-17 tires? We are out in NM/AZ a lot and need more clearance but not looking to remove stock wheel well trim, etc. Any direction to part kit #, etc. really appreciated. No one seems to have this info?

·
Registered
'07 CR-V EX-L AWD
4,670 Posts
Welcome to the forum! Moved to Tires, Wheels, & Suspensions section for better response. You might search through this section for many threads on this stuff. BTW, I run 255/55/R18's on my '07 with no mods and no issues.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Many Thanks! I was in NM Fall 2018 and was inspired to purchase a CR-V 4WD. Guy had a 2010 lifted with skid plates, etc. It took me two years to find the one. I got a one owner 65 plus year old woman who traded it for a Ford Flex fuel car~~not very smart. It has 52,000 miles, garage kept so a find. My other day ride is a 2004 Toyota Tacoma P/U but I wanted a more towable car for my Class C RV.

I ended up with a 1.5 inch lift kit not extreme but I really want some additional clearance. I do not want to remove any wheel trim, etc. and keep my 17 inch rims. I'm leaning to 255/55R-17 tires more for sand/rock than mud/snow as I hope NEVER to see snow again! Thanks for your comment. Much Appreciated. Regards,Bob

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Welcome to the forum! Moved to Tires, Wheels, & Suspensions section for better response. You might search through this section for many threads on this stuff. BTW, I run 255/55/R18's on my '07 with no mods and no issues.
I just read thru ALOT of posts but still looking for some guidance...…..I'd really like to keep my existing 17 rims as they are in great shape, etc. I am not looking to climb mountains, just need some extra clearance ,etc. I did see one post claiming 1.5 lift not recommended because of rear drive shaft? Any suggestions for a shop,etc. that could direct me? I am l.o.s.t.!!!!!!

·
Registered
'07 CR-V EX-L AWD
4,670 Posts
Honestly the CR-V is not really meant for these kinds of mods and doesn't fare well. Larger tires will give a tiny bit more ground clearance, but will cost more in driveline wear and stress, as well as fuel mileage. Still, there are folks here who have done it and the posts are here. You might also get some ideas from our sister Element forum. There are lots of camping mods done over there that include this kind of thing, and the Element is almost the same vehicle.

·
Registered
2,225 Posts
I just read thru ALOT of posts but still looking for some guidance...…..I'd really like to keep my existing 17 rims as they are in great shape, etc. I am not looking to climb mountains, just need some extra clearance ,etc. I did see one post claiming 1.5 lift not recommended because of rear drive shaft? Any suggestions for a shop,etc. that could direct me? I am l.o.s.t.!!!!!!
Can't help much as I haven't done it yet, but I've read that lifts beyond 2" need to use subframe spacers so the driveshaft angles aren't so severe. You can continue using the stock driveshafts but, if replacing them, stick to OEM Honda axles and not aftermarket. I was reading about lifted Elements and owners were finding that the aftermarket axles did not last long. The 1.5" lift will add some stress but it's not like they'll fail instantly.

I've considered a lift for mine, but having taken mine in Utah along some of the unpaved roads, a CR-V just doesn't have the power or the gearing to successfully go off-roading. I'm not even talking about anything severe--there were a few spots on Shaffer Canyon Rd. or Potash Rd. where I really struggled to climb up a small incline. (On the highways over mountain passes, the CR-V can barely keep up with traffic.) That is why I will probably wait until I get a 4Runner or even a V6 Pilot with a mild lift kit and proper tires before I do it again.

I do run 235/65R17s on my stock height CR-V with no issues. A lift would probably give you a possibility of slightly increasing the tire size, but the wheelwells are only so wide and you will get rubbing when turning if you went too much wider. And taller tires will only decrease the torque available, not just due to the increased weight but also due to the change in the final driveline ratio.

·
Registered
2011 CR-V SE
33 Posts
We have stock 2010 last year true 4WD EX and have 235/65R-17 tires. Looking to replace with 1 inch~~1.5 inch~~2 inch lift to allow for 255/55R-17 tires? We are out in NM/AZ a lot and need more clearance but not looking to remove stock wheel well trim, etc. Any direction to part kit #, etc. really appreciated. No one seems to have this info?
Any chance you found what you were looking for and moved forward? The 2" HRG lift looks like what most people want, but I can't find anyone who has actually used it. Seems like every single Gen 3 lift thread ends up going no where. Not sure if it's because it's a horrible idea or people just lose interest after not finding much info. I would love some info on this and it's long term affects. I'm trying to put a little lift on my 2011. I'm not trying to climb or crawl as much as simply gain ground clearance for unmaintained roads around Utah that get us to some adventure spots.

·
Super Moderator - How may I help?
3,769 Posts
Closing thread, OP hasn't been seen in 12 months

Reactions: TheDarkKnight
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.