Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello everyone,
I'm new here, so forgive me if a make a mistake o cause any trouble.
I'm trying to lift my 2001 crv in a cheap and simple way, and im not sure how to do it and what to do. I've searched through the internet but the information i've found is always incomplete and lacking in details. I've looked at posts that said you could lift your crv easily using spacers made out of aluminium or hdpe, pvc rings 1 1/2'', 4 1/4'' outside diameter with 2 1/4'' inside hole. Adding to these, some people told me that i had to put a new sway bar, and this is the part i dont understand. I suppose my crv has a sway bar, but if it doesn't, which type of sway bar should i use? where do i buy it? and these question is really important, is there a sway bar from another car or suv that could fit my crv and fulfill its purpose? i dont now? toyota? or hundai?
I'm doing these because i want to travel to Canaima National Park, a place in the South of Venezuela. I'm from Caracas and the car parts market in Venezuela is really poor, so many try to utilize used car parts from other cars in a different model o brand of car.
I hope someone can answer me and help me.
I intend to lift my crv by myself and my brothers -a bit more than intermediate- automotive knowhow.

Leopoldo

Pd. I attached the pics of spacer rings i found that i could use. aluminium spacers.jpg pvc spacers.jpg

·
Registered
1,974 Posts
If it were me, I wouldn't consider the "plastic" spacers, it would be aluminum, preferably machined from 6061 billet, or steel if anyone makes them.

Maybe they are referring to replacing the end links with some that are longer than the originals, although I doubt there would be an issue with the originals with an 1 1/2" lift. Look under yours for the bars, probably already there, if not I doubt there would be anything else to get one from other another CRV of the same generation. Sway bars are pretty much vehicle specific.

·
Registered
2 Posts
If it were me, I wouldn't consider the "plastic" spacers, it would be aluminum, preferably machined from 6061 billet, or steel if anyone makes them.

Maybe they are referring to replacing the end links with some that are longer than the originals, although I doubt there would be an issue with the originals with an 1 1/2" lift. Look under yours for the bars, probably already there, if not I doubt there would be anything else to get one from other another CRV of the same generation. Sway bars are pretty much vehicle specific.
^Basically this.

Go with metal spacers for sure. As for the sway, I'd leave the stock bar on there, unless you'll be doing a lot of high speed cornering. The Flex of the softer bar will let your tires move more independently offroad, which is good for uneven terrain. Most people unhook the front sway bars offroad anyway.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
^Basically this.

Go with metal spacers for sure. As for the sway, I'd leave the stock bar on there, unless you'll be doing a lot of high speed cornering. The Flex of the softer bar will let your tires move more independently offroad, which is good for uneven terrain. Most people unhook the front sway bars offroad anyway.
Great to hear this. So basically I just have to install the metal spacers and thats pretty much an easy, simple and cheap way to lift my CRV.
I'll proceed to find the metal spacers. If not, i'll see if i can find the pvc ones, and investigate how they behave. The pvc ones could be made out from a foot of PVC high temperature tube, like these http://www.mcmaster.com/#pvc-hollow-rods/=qd2pdr There are used for the chemical industries and look pretty rough. But thats only as a last resort.
Theres another type of plastic, hdpe, that is mentioned in some articles.
After the install i'll see haw the crv behaves a few inches higher, and if necessary i'll add a pair of longer end links.

I'll post a picture of my crv before and after the lift. I also want to install a pair good roof led lights.

Thank you very much for your help 13CRVEXLKC and PhoenixFire.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts