Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
...lol, that's the ony way I can describe the sound coming from the underneath the rear of my 2005 CRV 4WD. I've done lots of searching and all I can come up with here is the issues with the diff.
I'm sure it's not that. I've been underneath and can't seem to find anything. I even had my rear rotors and brakes done, and the mechanic couldn't figure it out.
Thanks for any help guys....what an awesome resource this place is!
PS---Just got my CRV-OC window sticker in the mail..;)
Steve

·
Registered
202 Posts
Have you replaced differential fluid? If not, do consider it. However, use ABSOLUTELY NOTHING but Honda fluid.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply......I keep hearing about the diff fluid. What does it sound like when it needs to be changed?

·
Everything in Moderation
8,152 Posts
Thanks for the reply......I keep hearing about the diff fluid. What does it sound like when it needs to be changed?
The sound IS a scratching or moan...can seem to be coming from the front at times. The fluid wears out and the wet-clutches start to make noise.

If it has been more than 15K miles since the last diff change, you should do it anyway as regular maintenance.

++++++++++

This time of year is a good time to do Rear Brake Service. Many owners of Hondas with rear discs find it necessary to clean/lube the caliper slider pins and the SS guides at the top & bottom edges of the pads...that can make noise, too.

·
Registered
3,887 Posts
It can sound like a screeching, rubbing, scraping type of sound also.
It is usually more prevalent while making slow tight turns.
Buffalo4
PS:When you change the rear diffy fluid, make sure to remove the top (fill) plug before removing the lower drain plug because if it is seized, you won't be able to fill it back up. :(

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
...Hmmm..ok thanks guys. Sounds like that could be my issue.:) It is quite a screeeching noise. I had assumed that the rear diff only turned when the back wheels were being engaged( slippery situation etc.)
Does this mean that the gears are turning all the time?
Cheers guys
STeve

·
Registered
202 Posts
Axles attached to the wheels are inevitably turning at all times (if the vehicle is moving). The rear wheels do not necessarily need to be driven by the AWD system in order to make noise.

·
Registered
202 Posts
If you are mechanically inclined, replacing rear diff. fluid is a walk in the park. If you enjoy working on cars, you should consider doing it yourself.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I actually don't have any tools yet, but I plan to build my collection soon. I set up an appointment with the dealer for tomorrow to have it done, and surprisingly after labour and fluid it's going to cost less than 50 bucks.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
....well, just got back from the dealer. Had the diff fluid done, but they told me that the noise I was concerned about was the rear sway bar links on both sides! D'oh..
That's 250 bucks each....:p

·
Everything in Moderation
8,152 Posts
told me that the noise I was concerned about was the rear sway bar links on both sides! D'oh..
That's 250 bucks each....:p

:eek:

These range in cost from $15 USD to $25 at Rock Auto, per side.

The picture is of a Moog brand...about $21 (good "name-brand")

These are not that difficult to replace unless they are rusted on... in that case, a hacksaw or Dremel makes short work of stubborn units. Just cut the old ones off. :mad:

If you don't care to do it yourself, go to your favorite independent garage. I estimate an hour's labor!

PS The OE links are $44 a side from Honda ($32 from Bernardi)

·
Registered
3 Posts
It can sound like a screeching, rubbing, scraping type of sound also.
It is usually more prevalent while making slow tight turns.
Buffalo4
PS:When you change the rear diffy fluid, make sure to remove the top (fill) plug before removing the lower drain plug because if it is seized, you won't be able to fill it back up. :(
we just bought our car yesterday and there is a humming sound when making the tight turn - in fact, you have to turn the steering wheel to the very edge on either side before hearing it.

it is a 1998 vehicle, so do you think we should change the diff fluid?
also, why was it emphatically stated by ramosrj that we should only use honda diff fluid?

·
Everything in Moderation
8,152 Posts
it is a 1998 vehicle, so do you think we should change the diff fluid?
also, why was it emphatically stated by ramosrj that we should only use honda diff fluid?
Honda uses wet clutches in the differential (and transmission) that require specific friction characteristics to work correctly.

So, Honda fluid will work the best.

Changing fluids on any vehicle that is "new to you" is always good practice, unless you have a detailed service history and KNOW that the correct services were performed.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Changing fluids on any vehicle that is "new to you" is always good practice, unless you have a detailed service history and KNOW that the correct services were performed.
thx for the info carbuff!
we bought this through a used car dealer and they said the oil had been changed, but i like your advice and will check everything anyway in may! this is a good way to get familiar with the vehicle too!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts