Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Like it says. Brakes were perfectly fine, but had the routine 3-year brake fluid drain/fill/bleed done on my 2012 (53K miles) at my Honda dealer on Monday. By Wednesday, the pedal felt soft and I could hear a new and fairly loud airy/squishy sound when braking that appeared to come from the firewall area. The brake booster was working as far as I could tell*. Dealer re-bled the brakes and agreed the noise was abnormal and said it could be an unspecified "internal issue" with the booster. Booster is on order and dealer will "work with me" on cost to replace, but isn't prepared to say the original bleed job could have damaged the booster. Frankly, I don't know enough about the booster to know if it could be damaged if the tech somehow over-pressurized the system while bleeding. I assume they use a vacuum-bleeder of some sort. Of course, if the bleeding FU'd the booster, I'd like the dealer to cover full cost. If it's just a coincidence, then I'll be happy enough if the dealer cuts me some slack. Can anyone shed some light? Thanks!

* Pumped pedal up with engine off, then started up with foot on pedal; pedal sank down a smidge, which is the shade-tree method I'd been taught to check a brake booster.

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
I don's see how there is any connection between the brake bleeding and booster failure. The booster is not connected to the hydraulic system but it operates on vacuum.

·
Everything in Moderation
7,615 Posts
I could see your condition being consistent with an issue with the MASTER CYLINDER (which is adjacent to the vacuum booster on the car), especially if they pumped the brake pedal all the way to the floor during bleeding.

The 'un-travelled' area of the brake cylinder can get corroded and rough, and tear up the internal seals on the cylinder. That's why common practice is to place a block under the pedal so that it won't go down all the way when pumping the pedal.

Even if they used a vacuum bleeder, I bet they pumped the pedal at least once. (I always do.)

I'd encourage them to replace the Master at their own expense. :mad: After all, it wasn't like that before the service, and it's not a common failure point!!!

·
Registered
121 Posts
I agree as well. Sounds like bad seals in the master cylinder. My suspicion would be that the tech who bled your brakes allowed the master cylinder to run dry instead of topping it after bleeding each caliper. If your lucky all that will need replacing will be the master cylinder and not the abs pump as well.

Cheers
Zaze

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the info folks! I feel a little better armed with more knowledge before I talk to the dealer.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts