Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of December's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
'07 CR-V EX-L AWD
4,662 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Having asked these questions repeatedly in other threads and having been ignored, I will try to organize them here and ask again. If this is not the correct place to ask, please respond with an answer as to where that magic spot is! If it is the correct location, then please respond on the content! Thanks.

1. Edit Function: Currently limited to 24 hours. This is completely unnecessary, regardless of the opinions of a few mods who seem to be controlling it. Any limit should be immediately and permanently removed. I have never seen, or been a member of, any other forum, anywhere, ever, where this restriction exists. Any mention of "thread integrity" is invalid, as there is no such thing anyway, really.

2. Font Color Configuration: Why this has been removed is beyond me, as it is such a handy tool in so many ways. I know the new platform has the capability, as I see you admins using it repeatedly. Please restore it. Font Change function would also be nice to have back, though it is somewhat less critical.

3. Signature Space limited to two lines: Another arbitrary and completely unnecessary restriction. There is absolutely no reason for this either. As before, we should be able to have, say, up to a dozen lines of space available, along with the ability to add small images.

4. Gallery Disfunction: this is still not working even close to right. I have tried repeatedly, to no avail, to post images of my CR-V there. It ain't workin,' y'all. Fix it.

5. Link Function: Should not be necessary - should be automatic. Also, it seems to randomly choose to block urls as spam. Unacceptable.

6. Delete Button: I have been informed that there is supposed to be a delete button for posts, located next to the edit button. There is no such button available to me. If I start a reply and then decide to not post it, there is no way to make it go away. None. Please fix this.

Hopefully, I haven't forgotten anything. Please respond, either here, or in private conversation, to all 6 issues.

Thanks.

·
Registered
2,902 Posts
Delete response in process - I thought I knew how to do that, and proved myself wrong. No matter what I did I couldn't seem to get it to delete my response before I posted it. I even went so far as to close the browser window, but when I navigated back here the edit box still contained what I had been writing.

I did figure out how to do it, in a really convoluted way.
In the bottom right corner of the edit box is an icon that looks like a computer floppy disk.
Clicking that icon pops up a menu with two options:
Save Draft
Delete Draft

So I chose Delete Draft, which didn't actually delete anything out of the edit box.
So I chose Delete Draft again, then navigated away from this page, and then navigate back. Oops, the edit box still had my text.
So what did work was choosing Delete Draft and then closing the browser window. When I navigated back here the edit box was empty. Note that I didn't quit out of the browser, or log out of the site. I tend to use multiple browser tabs when I'm reading the posts on the site, one for each thread.

So it works, but the way it works is horrible from from the view of a user trying to delete something.

·
Everything in Moderation
2006 CR-V EX, 5MT
12,171 Posts
Thanks for the summary Larry. And thanks to Bob for his findings.

I'll add a 7. Increase contrast on LINKS in Dark Mode, and when highlighting text in REPLY mode.

I know that AG is working on much of that stuff, based on complaints here and on their other XenForo forums. Hopefully as they find solutions they will apply the fixes to ALL the AG forums.

I'm mentioning @AG Jeff so that he will see our concerns.

·
Administrator
613 Posts
Having asked these questions repeatedly in other threads and having been ignored, I will try to organize them here and ask again. If this is not the correct place to ask, please respond with an answer as to where that magic spot is! If it is the correct location, then please respond on the content! Thanks.

1. Edit Function: Currently limited to 24 hours. This is completely unnecessary, regardless of the opinions of a few mods who seem to be controlling it. Any limit should be immediately and permanently removed. I have never seen, or been a member of, any other forum, anywhere, ever, where this restriction exists. Any mention of "thread integrity" is invalid, as there is no such thing anyway, really.

2. Font Color Configuration: Why this has been removed is beyond me, as it is such a handy tool in so many ways. I know the new platform has the capability, as I see you admins using it repeatedly. Please restore it. Font Change function would also be nice to have back, though it is somewhat less critical.

3. Signature Space limited to two lines: Another arbitrary and completely unnecessary restriction. There is absolutely no reason for this either. As before, we should be able to have, say, up to a dozen lines of space available, along with the ability to add small images.

4. Gallery Disfunction: this is still not working even close to right. I have tried repeatedly, to no avail, to post images of my CR-V there. It ain't workin,' y'all. Fix it.

5. Link Function: Should not be necessary - should be automatic. Also, it seems to randomly choose to block urls as spam. Unacceptable.

6. Delete Button: I have been informed that there is supposed to be a delete button for posts, located next to the edit button. There is no such button available to me. If I start a reply and then decide to not post it, there is no way to make it go away. None. Please fix this.

Hopefully, I haven't forgotten anything. Please respond, either here, or in private conversation, to all 6 issues.

Thanks.
Hopefully this helps get the dialog started with your suggestions.
1. & 2. Your feedback is appreciated.
3. Based on user feedback our dev team has been working on improvements to how signatures will be presented. This is not a function I will be personally changing so you will have to wait to for the update this is related to to roll out.
4. Could you help me out with this? What is the error you are getting?
5. You should be able to paste a link and it automatically make it clickable. Are you getting a warning on URS that do not support SSL encryption?
6. There is no delete function for posts.
-Philip

·
Registered
'07 CR-V EX-L AWD
4,662 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Delete response in process - I thought I knew how to do that, and proved myself wrong. No matter what I did I couldn't seem to get it to delete my response before I posted it. I even went so far as to close the browser window, but when I navigated back here the edit box still contained what I had been writing.

I did figure out how to do it, in a really convoluted way.
In the bottom right corner of the edit box is an icon that looks like a computer floppy disk.
Clicking that icon pops up a menu with two options:
Save Draft
Delete Draft

So I chose Delete Draft, which didn't actually delete anything out of the edit box.
So I chose Delete Draft again, then navigated away from this page, and then navigate back. Oops, the edit box still had my text.
So what did work was choosing Delete Draft and then closing the browser window. When I navigated back here the edit box was empty. Note that I didn't quit out of the browser, or log out of the site. I tend to use multiple browser tabs when I'm reading the posts on the site, one for each thread.

So it works, but the way it works is horrible from from the view of a user trying to delete something.
I had exactly the same luck, but I gave up before you did. Maybe if I save as a draft instead of post, then come back and delete draft, that will work? I'll try it and see. But, that still does not solve the issue that once posted a post cannot be deleted. I think. I may be confused now.

·
Registered
'07 CR-V EX-L AWD
4,662 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the summary Larry. And thanks to Bob for his findings.

I'll add a 7. Increase contrast on LINKS in Dark Mode, and when highlighting text in REPLY mode.

I know that AG is working on much of that stuff, based on complaints here and on their other XenForo forums. Hopefully as they find solutions they will apply the fixes to ALL the AG forums.

I'm mentioning @AG Jeff so that he will see our concerns.
Thanks, Atwell. I tried to edit that in for you, but now I find that not only does edit not work, it also gives an error pop-up saying the 1440 minute time limit has expired.

Howsumever! I do see that magically the highlighting contrast has been fully restored to it's former glory! Cool! A big thanks to whoever made that happen!

·
Registered
'07 CR-V EX-L AWD
4,662 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hopefully this helps get the dialog started with your suggestions.
1. & 2. Your feedback is appreciated.
3. Based on user feedback our dev team has been working on improvements to how signatures will be presented. This is not a function I will be personally changing so you will have to wait to for the update this is related to to roll out.
4. Could you help me out with this? What is the error you are getting?
5. You should be able to paste a link and it automatically make it clickable. Are you getting a warning on URS thdo not support SSL encryption?
6. There is no delete function for posts.
-Philip
Philip,

Thanks very much for the rapid response and new information.

2. Color Font Function: Response is insufficient. I will require a valid and detailed explanation.

3. Signature Space: Excellent! Glad they are working on it, and patiently waiting to see what comes of that!

4. Gallery: I may be suffering from extreme confusion on this. First, I thought (for some now-obscure reason) the Showcase and Gallery had been merged, but apparently not. Some clarification on that would help. Can no longer locate the site's FAQ. So, what is the difference in the purposes of the two? Also, when I posted my Showcase entry, it allowed only ten images, the last of which it botched and made smaller. But I cannot edit it to fix it, or to add the rest of the images I wanted to include there. I added it ten months ago, on the old platform. Still can't do anything with it on the new one. Also, when I try to add a Gallery post with images, it simply does not work, or it didn't when I tried to post there. Haven't tried again yet. Would not allow the posting of images or text. No error message, it just did not work. May be working now, but I haven't tried it again. I'll go back and try again, and report. It would also be helpful to know what, if any, limitations there are in both Showcase and Gallery, such as number of images, how to add more, etc. IMO the two should be merged, thereby providing one location for all my images of my CR-V. Any help is appreciated.

5. Links: I will try that, and report.

On the Edit and Delete functions, I will have to get back to you on those, as I am still researching them.

·
Registered
1,938 Posts
2. Color Font Function: Response is insufficient. I will require a valid and detailed explanation.
I missed this part - is there a paid membership position here or what's the basis of this demand?

·
Everything in Moderation
2006 CR-V EX, 5MT
12,171 Posts
I do see that magically the highlighting contrast has been fully restored to it's former glory!
Yes it has, but only when highlighting text in posts.

If you are highlighting corrections on REPLY screens, the color is still really faint in LIGHT mode. (It is OK in Dark mode.)

·
Registered
'07 CR-V EX-L AWD
4,662 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
I missed this part - is there a paid membership position here or what's the basis of this demand?
This thread's specific purpose is to communicate with the site administration about configuration issues. Please refrain from off-topic comments. In case you missed the sticky at the top of this forum, this thread is restricted:

Please post questions for Mods/Admins in here. Let us know what you like, hate, want to see changed. You can only reply to your own thread, this is to keep the threads clean and to the point. Questions and inquiries posted here cannot be responded to by other members.

mrtn: You are not a mod or admin and may not post in this thread.

Okay, then, apparently (Thanks to Lizzurd for the clarification) that restriction is not currently being applied. It should be, IMO, in order to allow the thread to remain on topic.

·
Everything in Moderation
2006 CR-V EX, 5MT
12,171 Posts
Larry, I didn't have any issues with @mrtn responding.

Now that you mention it, reply abilities haven't been restricted as they were with the VBulletin software.

·
Premium Member
3,658 Posts
I am only replying since i was a mod here when the decision was made to remove the ability to edit or delete a post after 24 hours.

A lot of discussion had went into it before the change was made.

A couple of members had decided to leave the site here and on the EOC.

Before they left they deleted all of thier posts. This wasnt just a few dozen posts. They were in the hundreds. A number of threads with technical info were basically left useless since a good stock usefull info was removed.

Agree or not it was believed to be the right decision at the time.

·
Administrator
613 Posts
Philip,

Thanks very much for the rapid response and new information.

3. Signature Space: Excellent! Glad they are working on it, and patiently waiting to see what comes of that!

4. Gallery: I may be suffering from extreme confusion on this. First, I thought (for some now-obscure reason) the Showcase and Gallery had been merged, but apparently not. Some clarification on that would help. Can no longer locate the site's FAQ. So, what is the difference in the purposes of the two? Also, when I posted my Showcase entry, it allowed only ten images, the last of which it botched and made smaller. But I cannot edit it to fix it, or to add the rest of the images I wanted to include there. I added it ten months ago, on the old platform. Still can't do anything with it on the new one. Also, when I try to add a Gallery post with images, it simply does not work, or it didn't when I tried to post there. Haven't tried again yet. Would not allow the posting of images or text. No error message, it just did not work. May be working now, but I haven't tried it again. I'll go back and try again, and report. It would also be helpful to know what, if any, limitations there are in both Showcase and Gallery, such as number of images, how to add more, etc. IMO the two should be merged, thereby providing one location for all my images of my CR-V. Any help is appreciated.

5. Links: I will try that, and report.

On the Edit and Delete functions, I will have to get back to you on those, as I am still researching them.
2. That is the only answer I have.

3. I am with you on this.

4. I will look into this some more. Thanks for your details.
-Philip

·
Registered
'07 CR-V EX-L AWD
4,662 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I am only replying since i was a mod here when the decision was made to remove the ability to edit or delete a post after 24 hours.

A lot of discussion had went into it before the change was made.

A couple of members had decided to leave the site here and on the EOC.

Before they left they deleted all of thier posts. This wasnt just a few dozen posts. They were in the hundreds. A number of threads with technical info were basically left useless since a good stock usefull info was removed.

Agree or not it was believed to be the right decision at the time.
Thanks very much for your response! I highly value your Longstanding service both here and on the EOC, and your insight. I wish I could travel back in time and be privy to that discussion.

·
Registered
'07 CR-V EX-L AWD
4,662 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
List of Desired Changes - Revised/Updated

7. Link Contrast: Increase contrast on LINKS in Dark Mode, and when highlighting text in REPLY mode. (Atwell)

8. Level Status System vs. Trophies: The new "Trophies" points system, which replaced the Level Status System, appears to have been designed for retarded third-graders. In fact, I'd think they would consider it an insult. I do believe it would make an ideal rating system for the extremist left wing news media. Please bring back the Level Status System, which the new platform can obviously support if it can support Trophies. Or, at the very least, remove the Trophies system. It's embarrassing.

Thanks.

·
Registered
'07 CR-V EX-L AWD
4,662 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Now add a new one:

9. Remove Post Abbreviating: Any post more than a medium number of lines in length is being automatically abbreviated, especially if it begins with a quote. Please give us a setting to disable this, or just eliminate this highly annoying, unwanted new "feature.

·
Registered
'07 CR-V EX-L AWD
4,662 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
List of Desired Changes - Revised/Updated Again: Since the Edit button keeps expiring every 24 hours, this is your reward. Each time I need to edit and cannot, I will simply repost the entire thing. Lovely, eh?

7. Link Contrast: Increase contrast on LINKS in Dark Mode, and when highlighting text in REPLY mode. (Atwell)

8. Level Status System vs. Trophies: The new "Trophies" points system, which replaced the Level Status System, appears to have been designed for retarded third-graders. In fact, I'd think they would consider it an insult. I do believe it would make an ideal rating system for the extremist left wing news media. Please bring back the Level Status System, which the new platform can obviously support if it can support Trophies. Or, at the very least, remove the Trophies system. It's embarrassing.

9. Post Abbreviating: Any post more than a medium number of lines in vertical length is being automatically abbreviated, especially if it begins with a quote. Please give us a setting to disable this, or just eliminate this highly annoying, unwanted new "feature. It makes no sense to convert to a cell phone user interface and then add a feature that makes it even more inconvenient for cell phones, and downright unacceptable for computer users, who comprise the great majority of users here, to have to endure. On a 30" monitor? Intolerable.

Thanks.

·
Everything in Moderation
2006 CR-V EX, 5MT
12,171 Posts
List of Desired Changes - Revised/Updated Again: Since the Edit button keeps expiring every 24 hours, this is your reward. Each time I need to edit and cannot, I will simply repost the entire thing. Lovely, eh?

9. Post Abbreviating: Any post more than a medium number of lines in vertical length is being automatically abbreviated, especially if it begins with a quote. Please give us a setting to disable this, or just eliminate this highly annoying, unwanted new "feature. It makes no sense to convert to a cell phone user interface and then add a feature that makes it even more inconvenient for cell phones, and downright unacceptable for computer users, who comprise the great majority of users here, to have to endure. On a 30" monitor? Intolerable.

Thanks.
Now, I am purposely forcing you to hit the EXPAND button on the quoted post. BwaHaaHaa.

If you want me to update the first post, @rocky or I can do it for you, in the future. Just send a PM. (or Conversation, hmm what is a good acronym for those now?)

And, I'm doing the MENTION thing to @AG Jeff and @AdminSupport to update their awareness of your requested changes. ?

·
Registered
'07 CR-V EX-L AWD
4,662 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
Now, I am purposely forcing you to hit the EXPAND button on the quoted post. BwaHaaHaa.

If you want me to update the first post, @rocky or I can do it for you, in the future. Just send a PM. (or Conversation, hmm what is a good acronym for those now?)

And, I'm doing the MENTION thing to @AG Jeff and @AdminSupport to update their awareness of your requested changes. ?
Well, then, cut it out, eh? Also, I'd appreciate it if you could block all my robocalls. Just kidding. The compress/expand "feature" makes it impossible to scroll (which, due to the new cell phone-like narrow format, we now have to do a heck of a lot more of) smoothly down a page without having to constantly stop and use a mouse or pad (on a laptop) or whatever on a cell phone, to avoid missing half of what's on the page. Highly inconvenient. Advertisers avoid things like this (that make extra work) like the plague. Other forums don't do this. And by other, I mean that, aside from the VerticalScope/AutoGuide ones now using this platform, most other forums use much higher quality platforms (though definitely not all), and keep them user friendly. I should be able to toggle this feature on/off rather than have it forced on me. I think it's user-unfriendly for a majority of us, a faster, smoother road, but with speed bumps, which cancel out the faster, smoother part.

Just trying to be constructive here, to make it all better for everyone. And you are purposely helping!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts