Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2017 CRV Touring - Pearl White w Black Interior
8,176 Posts
Thanks. That is disappointing. I was hoping that there was a work around.
Honda wants drivers to use LKAS consciously and with intention. This is for safety reasons, since it is a feature that takes over active steering-by-sensors.

If an owner could set a feature and forget about it from then on, there is no conscious focus and attention applied, which could result in an LKAS related traffic incident when LKAS did something the driver did not expect and who completely forgot they had LKAS engaged.

I know many owners are very conscientious and don't feel they need "nanny-Honda" looking over their shoulders as they drive... but the fact is.. Honda has to design for all cases of drivers and driving conditions as Honda has a responsibility (legal and moral) to protect and insure the safety of drivers and passengers.

·
Super Moderator
8,176 Posts
My Genesis G70 defaults to lane keeping assist on for each start, but the automatic high beams setting does not. That makes no sense at all. I also have to defeat the idle stop and go with each drive - that’s due to their need to show higher MPG. That I understand. I was hoping to find a ”trick” to have my wife’s CRV default to LKAS on.
LKAS is really meant to be active when ACC is active, from a functionality perspective. They really are coupled fairly closely in the Honda scheme of things in terms of HondaSensing.

The industry has no standard for how all their different systems are enabled/disabled, when, and why. So each manufacturer develops their own brand standard and hopefully stays consistent with in their brand. It is only federal safety requirements that force the brands to follow a common standard on anything safety related.

I believe that most owners can and will adapt to the inevitable differences in how one brand/model works compared to another. :) Those that refuse are destined to be locked out of some features.

Personally, I find Honda LKAS to be a bit too loose with the steering, particularly in the narrow freeway lanes where I live and adjacent drivers wallowing around in their lanes right up to the lines makes it unsafe in my view to use LKAS in these conditions.

·
Super Moderator
8,176 Posts
There is a fair amount of hysteresis in the LKAS algorithm.
But I finally learned some of that "wiggle" was my Hankook tires trying to grab the grooves on an Interstate.
Seems to be more stable with Michelins, but still wanders more than I would like.
Whenever there's an exit lane to the right the car seems to start to follow it but quickly steers back to the main road.
Yep.

I would use LKAS locally here if they actually had a hysteresis adjustment, similar to how we have a distance adjustment in ACC.

I do use LKAS on long open road road trips... with normal width lanes on the roadway. But I also don't do many long road trips anymore.

And Yes, I agree about the Hankooks loving to "grove-in" on the interstates water shedding grooves. Probably the one thing I dislike about Hankook Kinergys.

·
Super Moderator
8,176 Posts
FYI, at first I found this annoying when I didn't use the turn signals when crossing a line on the side of the road...like entering a a right turn lane.
Great approach by Honda though, because that very annoyance tends to retrain you the driver to use your turn signals... as you are supposed to. :D

And yes, RDM and LKAS have completely different purposes in operation.

I consider RDM to be a good safety feature. Whereas LKAS is a driving convenience feature, that in my assessment Honda needs to make better in future generations.

·
Super Moderator
8,176 Posts
Regarding the LKAS tending to "want" to exit when passing the exit mouth, my 2018 EX had done that until recently, when Maine started painting dashed lines across the exit mouth. The LKAS now ignores the exit. I'm guessing that is why the state painted those dashes.
That is a good move by the state of Maine and I am sure this is to better enable sensing/driving systems in modern vehicles to do what they were designed to do and without sensor confusion. (y)

I am one of those owners who believes in adapting to the vehicle I drive, both it's strengths and it's weaknesses (and there is NO perfect brand/model out there, and likely never will be). So in my 2017 CRV, where LKAS is concerned, I don't use it in local driving (due to narrow lanes on freeways where the state decided to carve 5 lanes out on a freeway originally designed for 4 lanes).... but I do use it on long road trips on open freeways with normal width lanes. I adapted to it's shortcomings/limitations/quirks by staying out of the right hand lane on long road trips so as to avoid any opportunity for LKAS to get confused and try to follow an exit line. I also turn LKAS off before I even approach exiting a freeway on a road trip.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts