Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of December's Ride of the Month Challenge!
21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2007 Accord EX 2020 CR-V Hybrid EX
4,294 Posts
RDM can be a pain for me at times. I often go off a highway onto dirt intentionally, and the vibration made me think I'd hit something. Nobody to signal to, why use a blinker?
But I got used to it.
I'm still on the fence about LKAS. Like Brake Hold I fear I'll get used to it and wind up in a car without it.

Reactions: williamsji

·
Registered
129 Posts
Are you sure you aren't talking about Road Departure Mitigation? Totally different feature. The LKAS has a button to turn it on the steering wheel, lower right side.

FYI, at first I found this annoying when I didn't use the turn signals when crossing a line on the side of the road...like entering a a right turn lane.
You are 100% correct on LKAS being On always unless you physically turn it Off. I’ve never turned it off. I like the way it works.

·
Super Moderator - How may I help?
5,204 Posts
You are 100% correct on LKAS being On always unless you physically turn it Off. I’ve never turned it off. I like the way it works.
Actually, I didn't say it is on al the time, only that the button for it is on the lower right side of the steering wheel.

You may be referring to the Road departure mitigation...the button for this is to the left of the steering wheel, on the dash board.

Lots of confusion over this, apparently. :eek:

·
Registered
38 Posts
There is a fair amount of hysteresis in the LKAS algorithm.
But I finally learned some of that "wiggle" was my Hankook tires trying to grab the grooves on an Interstate.
Seems to be more stable with Michelins, but still wanders more than I would like.
Whenever there's an exit lane to the right the car seems to start to follow it but quickly steers back to the main road.
Regarding the LKAS tending to "want" to exit when passing the exit mouth, my 2018 EX had done that until recently, when Maine started painting dashed lines across the exit mouth. The LKAS now ignores the exit. I'm guessing that is why the state painted those dashes.

·
Super Moderator - How may I help?
5,204 Posts
Regarding the LKAS tending to "want" to exit when passing the exit mouth, my 2018 EX had done that until recently, when Maine started painting dashed lines across the exit mouth. The LKAS now ignores the exit. I'm guessing that is why the state painted those dashes.
What a GREAT idea! How can we get the rest of the 49 states to do this? (I am assuming, of course, that the rest don't do this)

·
Super Moderator
4,294 Posts
What a GREAT idea! How can we get the rest of the 49 states to do this? (I am assuming, of course, that the rest don't do this)
Get Tesla to pay the states to do it?

·
Super Moderator
2017 CRV Touring - Pearl White w Black Interior
7,634 Posts
That is a good move by the state of Maine and I am sure this is to better enable sensing/driving systems in modern vehicles to do what they were designed to do and without sensor confusion. (y)

I am one of those owners who believes in adapting to the vehicle I drive, both it's strengths and it's weaknesses (and there is NO perfect brand/model out there, and likely never will be). So in my 2017 CRV, where LKAS is concerned, I don't use it in local driving (due to narrow lanes on freeways where the state decided to carve 5 lanes out on a freeway originally designed for 4 lanes).... but I do use it on long road trips on open freeways with normal width lanes. I adapted to it's shortcomings/limitations/quirks by staying out of the right hand lane on long road trips so as to avoid any opportunity for LKAS to get confused and try to follow an exit line. I also turn LKAS off before I even approach exiting a freeway on a road trip.

·
Registered
2020 CR-V Hybrid EX Obsidian Blue
46 Posts
I wish the regular lines were visible on highways and roads here in NC, which was once known as "the good roads state". Quality and visibility of road markings has gone way down and at night/rain is dangerous.

·
Premium Member
2018 EX-L fwd
1,015 Posts
I wish the regular lines were visible on highways and roads here in NC, which was once known as "the good roads state". Quality and visibility of road markings has gone way down and at night/rain is dangerous.
In my travels, I’ve noticed several localities which have embedded reflective markers in places where traffic control lines are painted. These are positioned low enough so that they are not damaged by snowplows, yet are easily visible during periods of poor visibility.

·
Super Moderator
4,294 Posts
Originally "Bott's Dots", there are many variations.
But a lot of them can be damaged by plows. I never see them in snowy climes.
They wouldn't be very useful when covered with snow anyway I guess.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Yes. We used to have them, but I haven't seen them in years. Plowed away (back when we actually got snow now and then) and never replaced.

·
Registered
5 Gen: EX 1.5T
265 Posts
Over here in the UK, some of our major roads have red cats eyes along the near side, changing to green cats eyes at the start of the pull off slip road. Quite effective on unlit roads.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Over here in the UK, some of our major roads have red cats eyes along the near side, changing to green cats eyes at the start of the pull off slip road. Quite effective on unlit roads.
I really wish we had those here. TBH I do remember driving in Munich late on a dark rainy Sunday evening on the autobahn coming in from the south (heavy traffic) with lots of merges and the road markings were invisible. That was 30 years ago, it's probably better now!

·
The. Admin. Istrator.
8,230 Posts
Definite God-send in some of the Welsh Valleys that dont even see sunlight :LOL:

21 - 35 of 35 Posts