Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, while I certainly understand the safety implications behind limiting the LKAS system to 15 seconds without input, sometimes when I'm on a long drive, I'd love my CR-V to maintain its own lane without me having to constantly remind it I'm still there. So, I figured I'd hang something from the steering wheel that would give it the needed input while it self-corrected... but all I had was a bottle of vitamin water. As you can see in the picture, It turns out it fit perfectly in the steering wheel and I was able to drive almost 30 minutes without a single reminder to the system that I was still there. Looks like I'll be keeping that bottle filled with water and in the center console on longer trips.

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
I must say this is genius. I would work to find out how little pressure it takes. Also might look into moving the bottle now and again so you are constantly pulling only on one side, but I doubt it's a big issue.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I must say this is genius. I would work to find out how little pressure it takes. Also might look into moving the bottle now and again so you are constantly pulling only on one side, but I doubt it's a big issue.
Yeah, that's with a full bottle. Later I'll see if it still works with lighter loads.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Unfortunately the stock lkas camera has a very hard time seeing the lines where I live.
But comma.ai made a system that detects them way better and is able to drive the car as long as I want, without putting juice in the steering wheel

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Unfortunately the stock lkas camera has a very hard time seeing the lines where I live.
But comma.ai made a system that detects them way better and is able to drive the car as long as I want, without putting juice in the steering wheel
comma.ai does appear to have refined this nicely.

Even when the camera can see the lines well.. the stock LKAS still meanders around in the lane too much for my comfort. I get that it's a deliberately loose system for simplicity and calibration, and does manage to stay in it's lane.. but there are too many sloppy drivers on the road where I live who are often hugging the line (probably while texting) and I don't like being that close to the adjacent vehicles... just in case somebody twitches.

·
Registered
207 Posts
If there is a 6 hour road trip on a highway that my comma. Ai system will keep me in the lines for, then I'm most definitely not going to be steering.

We are in the future man. Get with it!

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
...and by some crazy coincidence that's all we're using the LKAS system for! WOW! ;):ROFLMAO:
Yes, all you use LKAS for is lane-centering, because that's all it does. It will not steer you around, or even notice, any road obstacles. Your hands need to be on the wheel for that, not trying to maneuver around the drink bottle you've jammed in the spokes. (And I shudder to think what the airbag is going to do with that thing in the way.)

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
I can see it now... gen6 CRV comes out.. and the latest HondaSensing systems include a driver monitor camera to detect where the drivers attention is AND includes the ability to detect a bottle wedged in the steering wheel that when detected pulls the vehicle to the side of the road, stops, and turns off the engine.... followed by a free lecture from the onboard voice systems instructing the driver to remove the bottle and place it "somewhere else" :ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
417 Posts
Hey, now you can fall asleep behind the wheel at 55 mph just like those Tesla owners :sleep:
Sorry, but that temptation is a really BAD idea.
(although I'll confess it's an interesting experiment)

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
I can see it now... gen6 CRV comes out.. and the latest HondaSensing systems include a driver monitor camera to detect where the drivers attention is AND includes the ability to detect a bottle wedged in the steering wheel that when detected pulls the vehicle to the side of the road, stops, and turns off the engine.... followed by a free lecture from the onboard voice systems instructing the driver to remove the bottle and place it "somewhere else" :ROFLMAO:
The key is to have a mask made that is a replica of your face but with the eyes open and looking forward.

Just wear that thing in your commute and you are golden.

·
Registered
743 Posts
I can see it now... gen6 CRV comes out.. and the latest HondaSensing systems include a driver monitor camera to detect where the drivers attention is AND includes the ability to detect a bottle wedged in the steering wheel that when detected pulls the vehicle to the side of the road, stops, and turns off the engine.... followed by a free lecture from the onboard voice systems instructing the driver to remove the bottle and place it "somewhere else"
comma.ai uses driver monitoring to both allow hands free use for extended periods of time, and disengagement if people look away. And provides a higher level of safety because, well, people aren't wedging levers into the steering wheel for hands free operation.

Frankly the stock LKAS is so bad the reality is that the driver still needs to correct constantly so that hack is somewhat useless, other than blocking air bags and breaking ribs. Once again, comma.ai is better at this.

However, supidity can always override safety. Accidents and or deaths due to people rigging up water bottles are high on the Darwin Award list imo.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
About this Discussion
28 Replies
14 Participants
williamsji
Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums
Honda CR-V Owners Club forum, the best hang-out to discuss CVT, Hybrids, trim levels and all things CR-V
Full Forum Listing