Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it possible for someone to explain what the difference is
between the lane keeping assist system and the road departure migration system
I know I can read the manual which I have but a nice simple answer would be nice please

·
Registered
862 Posts
LKAS helps keep your car in the middle of your lane. It assists steering by applying torque to the steering wheel. It's almost like self driving, BUT NOT! Road departure mitigation will help pull car back if you start to depart the road on either side. It gives you a vibrating steering wheel to alert you to pull the car back into the road. Both are helpful but I only use when I'm on the highway, otherwise it is very annoying.

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the info
I haven't tried the LKAS yet But the reason I asked was the RDM when switched on was letting me know that was getting close to the edge fine with that
but even on a road with two way trafic and also ones with two lanes as soon as I got mear the white lines I got the warning
Now that seems the same as what the LKAS does
Or am I just not understanding the difference

·
Registered
203 Posts
LKAS will steer the car before it reaches the RDM alert, keeps you mid lines. OK on straight freeways, I am not a fan in sweeping or frequent curves. Try it.

·
Registered
491 Posts
RDM will also apply brakes if it believes you are leaving the road. This can be exciting when road construction doesn't remove the old solid line on a road they shifted.
You can change the setting on the touch screen so that RDM won't apply the brakes. Go to Settings/ Vehicle/ Driver Assist System Setup/ Road Departure Mitigation Setting, then choose Normal, Wide or Warning Only.

·
Floatin' Pizza Slices
4,747 Posts
LKAS helps keep your car in the middle of your lane. It assists steering by applying torque to the steering wheel. It's almost like self driving, BUT NOT! Road departure mitigation will help pull car back if you start to depart the road on either side. It gives you a vibrating steering wheel to alert you to pull the car back into the road. Both are helpful but I only use when I'm on the highway, otherwise it is very annoying.
LKAS is an odd thing sometimes.

On occassions, it will pick up the kerb as a solid line and activate, and also fail to activate when theres white lines!

Novel features, but nothing like hands on the wheel and eyes on the road ahead!

Reactions: Charlie1960

·
Registered
2019 CR-V Hybrid SR Crystal Red Metallic
330 Posts
Hopefully the cars performing as expected and you're having fun personalising the settings in your new toy.

I found the online manual pretty good at explaining the operation of all the features but pretty light on the why and how so reading through the forum was invaluable.

In the early days of ownership I tried out all the driving functions and was amazed at how good they were. The car virtually drives itself which takes some getting used to but it has its limitations which are spelled out in the manual. I think this is one case where reading the manual is really helpful before flying blind.

No doubt you already know but the online manual has more information in it than the booklet that came with the car. As far as I know a printed version of the manual is not available in the UK, certainly not from my dealership.

·
Registered
203 Posts
In the US and Canada, you can get a printed version in the first 6 months of ownership (in the Owners Guide, early pages):
If you are the first registered owner of your vehicle, you may request a
complimentary printed copy of the Owner's Manual, Navigation Manual, or
Vehicle Warranty within the first six months of vehicle purchase. To request a
copy, visit owners.honda.com and create or log in to your account. In Canada,
please request a copy from your Honda dealer.

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
thanks all
I am sure there will be more questions
I like the online manual as I can do a word search
but sometimes asking others is much better
I do intend to find and use every feature but not all at once

·
Registered
2017 CRV Touring - Pearl White w Black Interior
4,918 Posts
thanks all
I am sure there will be more questions
I like the online manual as I can do a word search
but sometimes asking others is much better
I do intend to find and use every feature but not all at once
Go ahead and get the hardcopy manual as well, since it is free if you submit a request for it within 6 months of ownership.

Reason: for when you want to actually sit in your CRV, trying different things out, and reviewing information in the manual at the same time. :)

I generally use the PDF version, which I downloaded, when just reviewing while sitting at home. But if I am in my CRV... I want a hardcopy manual I can quickly leaf through while checking, changing features and settings. You could of course have the PDF on a smart phone, but honestly... small screen, trying to figure out the right keyword for a search, etc... is just going to slow you down when inside the vehicle.

Note: Honda gives each owner their own personalized web portal for their vehicle online, and if you have a specific feature you want an explanation and demonstration of, Honda has a wide range of small videos and topic excerpts from the manual that are easily available right through your personal portal as it will directly reference the appropriate topics for your model and trim level.

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Did you guys not get manual's with your Hybrid's???
Yes but from memory it is only about 400 page long and the online one is 700 odd pages long
but I have got a copy on my ipad
but I will ask the question about a hard copy of the full manual

·
Registered
2019 CR-V Hybrid SR Crystal Red Metallic
330 Posts
Yes but from memory it is only about 400 page long and the online one is 700 odd pages long
The book that came with the car is the 'Owners Guide' and the one online the 'Owners Manual' which is more in depth and therefore has more pages.

I tried to get a hard copy of the manual but came up against a brick wall with dealer and Honda. UK Owner Guides or Manual doesn't include the offer of a complimentary hard copy on request that US versions have.

Agree that online PDF is good for searching for specific words but I'm with William here in that hard copies are better for flicking through and if necessary making notes in.

·
Registered
2017 CRV Touring - Pearl White w Black Interior
4,918 Posts
Current generation Hondas come with a shorter version hardcopy "guide" (covers most basic information needs for the average owner to get started with their vehicle) in the glove compartment, and are offered the full and complete owners manual in two forms: 1) online, and downloadable as a PDF. 2) an order form for the full and complete hardcopy owners manual if submitted within 6 months of sale (otherwise you have to purchase it later if you want it).

Considering how many owners apparently never read their "guide" manual, much less any full manual... preferring to come to forums and get a cliff notes version for a particular feature from other owners... I am not at all surprised that vehicle manufacturers are including less and less actual hardcopy documentation for modern vehicles. :)

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I suppose if it becomes a problem and I need a hard copy I will just print one and put it in a A4 Folder
Early days I will see how I get on
Maybe we can get one of our colleges to run a course on understanding the CRV manuals:)

·
Registered
1 Posts
The Honda LKAS works quite well. I often drive 9 hours to Canada and can sort of not pay full attention on the highway. I love it.
I recently rented a Ford with similar driver assist feature. The Ford Lane Keep is AWFUL. It allows the car to cross the line and half way thru, jerks you back to your lane. Crazy

1 - 20 of 37 Posts