Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Local Honda dealer just gave me horrible news. My 07 EX-L with 128k needs a new complete wire harness and fuse box. $2000. FML!!!!!!!! Took it in because the radiator fan was not coming on. Apparently there is no power coming into the fusebox where the fan relay/ switch is. Tech states that the fusebox is burnt/ damaged. And just repairing it is not possible as the fusebox and harness are all one piece. A new part alone costs $1175 and 6 hours of labor to install it. Dealer also says that not fixing the harness could cause other damage in the future. Not sure about what that would be.... Fortunately I only work a few miles from home so I'll be able to go back and forth to work without the radiator fan working for now because of the short commute.

Curious if there is actually any way to repair just the damaged place w/o replacing the entire harness. I've found used harnesses for as low as $250 but there will still be a huge labor bill to install it with no warranty or assurance that the used part will work at all or long term. I've always felt that used electronics are a no go because there is not way to know the history os them.

Anyone else have this problem ?? Or any advice ? Help!!
This is the 2nd Honda place it’s been to that gave me the same news so I feel confident in their assessment.

·
Registered
3,182 Posts
Wow.......what a bummer. Does everything else work electrically? Can you actually see a burned area? Fuses/circuit breakers are supposed to blow/disconnect before things burn......at least that’s my understanding. If the vehicle is moving at a decent speed, and you don’t have a 30+ mph tail wind, there should be plenty of air moving thru the radiator. Keep a close eye on the temp gauge.

·
Premium Member
506 Posts
Do the cooling fans come on when the a/c is on? If so, the fans are good (as is the fuse box/wiring) and the problem is elsewhere.

If only one fan comes on, try swapping the two relays. In the underhood fuse box there are relays and fuses, and if you can decode the icons on the bottom of the fuse box cover, you can figure out which two are for the cooling fans. They just pull out. Maybe your $2000 "problem" is due to a $20 relay being bad.

Apparently there is no power coming into the fusebox where the fan relay/ switch is.
If there really was no power getting to that fuse box, you'd have a host of other problems. No headlights being one.

·
3,060 Posts
You are being scammed. Don't fall for it. Find a real, honest mechanic who knows what he is doing - I bet he can fix it at low cost. It's highly likely it's a simple connector or similar issue. This is a prime example of how Dealers operate. They will break a bolt off in the frame and then say you need a new frame. I wouldn't trust any of them, at all, ever. They will also cover for each other. If you were here, I could point you to the guy who can fix you up. Look for a good local automotive electrical shop. There are a couple of those here as well, though my guy is so good I don't need them.

Heck, if I had to I'd go to a wrecking yard and get the fuse box along with the cut off connectors and pigtails to it and splice it in myself. If that's even the problem. There's at least a 50-50 chance it isn't the problem. The thing is, most dealers don't even have a real mechanic any more, they just have techs who are trained to operate the diagnostic machine and then just do what it recommends. You might just have a loose or dirty pin in a connector. It could be that simple. Hence the expression - hard to pin down. I'd bet real money you can find someone who can fix it right for much less money.

·
3,060 Posts
By the way - Welcome to the forum!

·
Everything in Moderation
2006 CR-V EX, 5MT
8,556 Posts
I have heard of verified fusebox issues on Honda CR-Zs...

That said, I would be following the troubleshooting advice of @ms3224a for diagnosis.

Rather than spend that money, I'd be hooking up a relay and dash switch to turn the fans on manually. :mad:

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Do the cooling fans come on when the a/c is on? If so, the fans are good (as is the fuse box/wiring) and the problem is elsewhere.

If only one fan comes on, try swapping the two relays. In the underhood fuse box there are relays and fuses, and if you can decode the icons on the bottom of the fuse box cover, you can figure out which two are for the cooling fans. They just pull out. Maybe your $2000 "problem" is due to a $20 relay being bad.

If there really was no power getting to that fuse box, you'd have a host of other problems. No headlights being one.
As I stated it’s only where the radiator fan relay/fuse is. All others are fine.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

Only the AC condenser fan comes on. If only it was as simple as a bad relay or fuse. Thx tho

·
Registered
2017 CRV EX AWD
921 Posts
go to a junkyard buy a used harness and get to splicing.
This is one of the downhalls of keeping cars 10+ years. the newer hondas you can buy clips on the harnesses

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I have heard of verified fusebox issues on Honda CR-Zs...

That said, I would be following the troubleshooting advice of @ms3224a for diagnosis.

Rather than spend that money, I'd be hooking up a relay and dash switch to turn the fans on manually. :mad:
While that might somehow be possible. I want it fixed correctly to avoid long term problems. Thx tho

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
So just to let everyone know.... I was lied to by the Honda dealer I went to. Got a refund for $140 the diagnostic and spoke to the service manager. The fuse box is avail as a separate part from the wire harness. So all I’ll need to do is have the fusebox replaced ($575) and I should be good. Thx

·
Registered
336 Posts
So just to let everyone know.... I was lied to by the Honda dealer I went to. Got a refund for $140 the diagnostic and spoke to the service manager. The fuse box is avail as a separate part from the wire harness. So all I’ll need to do is have the fusebox replaced ($575) and I should be good. Thx
Just another day at the Honda dealer.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Just another day at the Honda dealer.
Right! This is why I usually steer clear of them. However, this morning I received a call from the service manager that really surprised me. He said that he spoke to the tech that quoted me the whole harness. Tech said that he felt terrible and that he'd install a new fuse box for free I just need to buy the part. I was shocked that they're actually going to do the right thing.

Fuse box lists for $184, however I found it online from a different Honda dealer for $116 ($135 shipped).

So I hope this solves my non working radiator fan. I'll report back once I get it installed and my results. Fingers and toes crossed!!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Make sure they give you the existing fuse box out of the car. I'd want to see the damage and satisfy myself the fuse box really is trash . . and, if it actually is repairable, you might want a spare part for the future.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Local Honda dealer just gave me horrible news. My 07 EX-L with 128k needs a new complete wire harness and fuse box. $2000. FML!!!!!!!! Took it in because the radiator fan was not coming on. Apparently there is no power coming into the fusebox where the fan relay/ switch is. Tech states that the fusebox is burnt/ damaged. And just repairing it is not possible as the fusebox and harness are all one piece. A new part alone costs $1175 and 6 hours of labor to install it. Dealer also says that not fixing the harness could cause other damage in the future. Not sure about what that would be.... Fortunately I only work a few miles from home so I'll be able to go back and forth to work without the radiator fan working for now because of the short commute.

Curious if there is actually any way to repair just the damaged place w/o replacing the entire harness. I've found used harnesses for as low as $250 but there will still be a huge labor bill to install it with no warranty or assurance that the used part will work at all or long term. I've always felt that used electronics are a no go because there is not way to know the history os them.

This is the 2nd Honda place it’s been to that gave me the same news so I feel confident in their assessment.
I see you solved your issue, but for completeness I’ll post some data here regarding the harness replacement on my 2012. A rodent chewed through my harness right where the wires go into the air conditioning connector. My guess Honda rules are that they must change the harness as a part, and are not trained and do not have parts to splice and rebuild harnesses. This was mostly covered by insurance so I had the dealer go ahead and do it. The harness was $588, and with labor the total bill was $1745.

·
Registered
111 Posts

Fuse 6, 7 & 11 on the underhood fuse box should all have power continuously (20, 30 & 15 amp respectively). If all those fuses have power on both sides of it (meaning the fuses aren't blown) then it's not a fuse box issue. There are 3 relays in that box that are the condenser fan relay, radiator fan relay & fan control relay. As suggested by another, turn on your A/C and if both fans run, that's not the problem. The condenser fan is the flat, "pancake" motor and the other larger motor is the radiator fan motor. Hope this helps.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts