Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
You are being scammed. Don't fall for it. Find a real, honest mechanic who knows what he is doing - I bet he can fix it at low cost. It's highly likely it's a simple connector or similar issue. This is a prime example of how Dealers operate. They will break a bolt off in the frame and then say you need a new frame. I wouldn't trust any of them, at all, ever. They will also cover for each other. If you were here, I could point you to the guy who can fix you up. Look for a good local automotive electrical shop. There are a couple of those here as well, though my guy is so good I don't need them.

Heck, if I had to I'd go to a wrecking yard and get the fuse box along with the cut off connectors and pigtails to it and splice it in myself. If that's even the problem. There's at least a 50-50 chance it isn't the problem. The thing is, most dealers don't even have a real mechanic any more, they just have techs who are trained to operate the diagnostic machine and then just do what it recommends. You might just have a loose or dirty pin in a connector. It could be that simple. Hence the expression - hard to pin down. I'd bet real money you can find someone who can fix it right for much less money.
I agree..if that wiring harness is burnt you will have a heap of parts not working.
If you can see a burnt section on the fuse box then OK go and get a used part and cut the wires... one for one..and splice in the used unit be sure to work colour for color
Get it to an auto electrician..6 hours labour is a rip-off. The harness is a plug for plug fitting.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Right! This is why I usually steer clear of them. However, this morning I received a call from the service manager that really surprised me. He said that he spoke to the tech that quoted me the whole harness. Tech said that he felt terrible and that he'd install a new fuse box for free I just need to buy the part. I was shocked that they're actually going to do the right thing.

Fuse box lists for $184, however I found it online from a different Honda dealer for $116 ($135 shipped).

So I hope this solves my non working radiator fan. I'll report back once I get it installed and my results. Fingers and toes crossed!!
Glad your fan issue has been resolved. You got some really good advice from some of the guys on this forum. For future reference always have the technician show you the problem. They can tell you anything, but the proof is in the seeing!

·
Registered
2 Posts
You are being scammed. Don't fall for it. Find a real, honest mechanic who knows what he is doing - I bet he can fix it at low cost. It's highly likely it's a simple connector or similar issue. This is a prime example of how Dealers operate. They will break a bolt off in the frame and then say you need a new frame. I wouldn't trust any of them, at all, ever. They will also cover for each other. If you were here, I could point you to the guy who can fix you up. Look for a good local automotive electrical shop. There are a couple of those here as well, though my guy is so good I don't need them.

Heck, if I had to I'd go to a wrecking yard and get the fuse box along with the cut off connectors and pigtails to it and splice it in myself. If that's even the problem. There's at least a 50-50 chance it isn't the problem. The thing is, most dealers don't even have a real mechanic any more, they just have techs who are trained to operate the diagnostic machine and then just do what it recommends. You might just have a loose or dirty pin in a connector. It could be that simple. Hence the expression - hard to pin down. I'd bet real money you can find someone who can fix it right for much less money.
Honda makes great cars but have the worst service department that I have seen in 65years of driving. After fixing a recall for airbag, I was told I needed to have my airfilter replaced, I said that's a lie, I replaced it myself yesterday. Next airbag recall they said I needed to have my transmission fluid replaced at a cost of $132 . I said the car only has 29000 miles on it. They then said it had water in the fluid. I told them the tramsmission was seled and there was no way to get water into it, unless you poured it down the dipstick tube. I took it my trusted independent service dealer (of 30 years) checked and everything was find.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Wow... dealer rip off. You could get an engine rebuild for that price lol. I'd take it to another ASE technician who works on Hondas.

·
Registered
2,710 Posts
NOT all dealers are created equal, nor are they all of equal caliber in service and knowledge. They should be, but they simply are not.. because.. they are in fact independent businesses, but tethered to Honda and Honda standards in customer service. As such... the best way to correct issues with service and performance by a dealer is to report them to Honda. Honda can and will get punitive with dealers who are mistreating or deceiving customers.

If you do not report your issues or concerns about a dealer to Honda, you are part of the problem with dealers continuing to get away with poor customer service. When Honda sees repeat complaints about something filed toward the same dealership.. they do investigate and do force corrective actions and behaviors. The dealer is motivated to comply with Honda in this regard, or risk loosing their Honda franchise.

That said.... as is true with healthcare, there is no harm and no foul in getting a second opinion from another dealer if you have multiple dealers in your area. If you are presented with a high cost of repair for something, I encourage getting a second opinion... because... as I said... not all dealers are created equal, much less managed at the top end of Honda standards in quality and customer care.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
The dealer & tech felt bad so they ultimately replaced the fuse box without charging for labor and reduced the price of the fuse box. So ended up only costing me $160 total. Everything has been working well for the past few weeks. Thanks for everyone’s advice and help with this matter.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
NOT all dealers are created equal, nor are they all of equal caliber in service and knowledge. They should be, but they simply are not.. because.. they are in fact independent businesses, but tethered to Honda and Honda standards in customer service. As such... the best way to correct issues with service and performance by a dealer is to report them to Honda. Honda can and will get punitive with dealers who are mistreating or deceiving customers.

If you do not report your issues or concerns about a dealer to Honda, you are part of the problem with dealers continuing to get away with poor customer service. When Honda sees repeat complaints about something filed toward the same dealership.. they do investigate and do force corrective actions and behaviors. The dealer is motivated to comply with Honda in this regard, or risk loosing their Honda franchise.

That said.... as is true with healthcare, there is no harm and no foul in getting a second opinion from another dealer if you have multiple dealers in your area. If you are presented with a high cost of repair for something, I encourage getting a second opinion... because... as I said... not all dealers are created equal, much less managed at the top end of Honda standards in quality and customer care.
I didn’t even think about reporting them to Honda. Maybe I’ll do that after the world gets back to running. Thx

·
Registered
131 Posts
Local Honda dealer just gave me horrible news. My 07 EX-L with 128k needs a new complete wire harness and fuse box. $2000. FML!!!!!!!! Took it in because the radiator fan was not coming on. Apparently there is no power coming into the fusebox where the fan relay/ switch is. Tech states that the fusebox is burnt/ damaged. And just repairing it is not possible as the fusebox and harness are all one piece. A new part alone costs $1175 and 6 hours of labor to install it. Dealer also says that not fixing the harness could cause other damage in the future. Not sure about what that would be.... Fortunately I only work a few miles from home so I'll be able to go back and forth to work without the radiator fan working for now because of the short commute.

Curious if there is actually any way to repair just the damaged place w/o replacing the entire harness. I've found used harnesses for as low as $250 but there will still be a huge labor bill to install it with no warranty or assurance that the used part will work at all or long term. I've always felt that used electronics are a no go because there is not way to know the history os them.

Anyone else have this problem ?? Or any advice ? Help!!
This is the 2nd Honda place it’s been to that gave me the same news so I feel confident in their assessment.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Hi There is a Class Action Law Suite you can claim re Wire harnesses .Find it as it is out there

21 - 30 of 30 Posts