Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yikes! I am totally locked out. The ONE AND ONLY door key lock is not working. I mean the key goes in, turns freely, and NOTHING HAPPENS. The door lock does not disengage. I can hear what sounds like a wire flopping around inside the door when I rotate the key. I suspect the key lock (tumbler mechanism) is no longer connected to the door latch mechanism.

My daughter's 08 CR-V had a weak battery, so I pulled it out and took it to get a new one. I locked the doors. My daughter closed the hood lid all the way, she did not like leaving it "up" even 1-2" (i.e. unlatched) even in the driveway. Doh!

So... No battery so the key fob is useless. We can't get in the car to unlock the hood. We can't get in the hood to install the battery so we could unlock the door electronically.

There is only ONE KEY LOCK on the whole car? I had not realized that, it's totally aggravating. Rhetorical question- WHY only ONE keylock?!? I know, save money. Grrrr.... if my 18 year old daughter is stuck somewhere with a dead battery and unable to get in the car for safety that leaves Dad an unhappy camper!

I could not see how to unlock the hood externally. Also, I could not get the drivers door "unlock" tab with a coat hanger- and the release latch won't work until the tab is moved to the "unlock" position, right? So I've called a locksmith.

I can't tell if door locks are problematic overall but I see a lot of complaints online... my wife's 02 CRV had both the drivers door actuator and key lock go bad.

Question really at this point... Fixing that dang door key lock. Anybody had this happen? Is there something to reconnect that I can do DIY? Or is is a mechanic or locksmith repair?

·
Registered
3,716 Posts
http://www.crvownersclub.com/forums/14-problems-issues/12429-locked-out-cr-v.html
May give you some help in the above article.

If you have any auto club type insurance, it may be time to use it.
Perhaps a call to the local police department will get you some help. They have tools to open locked doors due to pets and children being locked inside hot vehicles.

Googling may help in finding a way to get that hood open.

Hopefully you will be some good advice from someone else.
Possible ideas : http://honda-tech.com/honda-crx-ef-civic-1988-1991-3/hood-release-cable-broken-help-me-out-512321/

Buffalo4

·
Registered
3,716 Posts
Just make sure you aren't pulling on the door handle while turning the key.
Turn the key cw, I believe, and then back to its neutral position and then pull on the door handle.

Simple to try. If you are pulling on the handle while turning the key, I don't think the door will open.
You probably know this, but I am just putting this out just in case you didn't.
Best of luck,
Buffalo4

·
Registered
252 Posts
Last resort type thing - if the positive battery cable isn't touching ground under the hood, you could try and use a set of jumper cables to reach the main positive lead on the starter from under the car and hook the cables to a good battery outside the vehicle. That should provide power to the car in order to use the fob to unlock the doors. If the positive battery cable is touching ground, you might be able to reach it with a stick or something and prod it towards something plastic. But a locksmith or auto club (check your insurance policy - they may provide that service as part of your policy) is probably the best solution.

Good luck!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Maybe I'm missing something. Can you open the tailgate with the key (mine is a 98, and it works that way.)
Right, my wife's 2002 clearly has a rear key lock so I see why you might ask. I would be happy to crawl through the rear window if I could... However, on the 2008 I do not see a key hole on the rear hatch. And the rear window does not separate from the rear hatch door either- so there's been a few changes.

I tried to move the Honda logo hoping it was hiding underneath- nothing. It looks like the ONLY key lock is on the driver side door. Unless somebody can tell me there is a rear lock hiding somewhere?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Last resort type thing - if the positive battery cable isn't touching ground under the hood, you could try and use a set of jumper cables to reach the main positive lead on the starter from under the car and hook the cables to a good battery outside the vehicle. That should provide power to the car in order to use the fob to unlock the doors. [...]
Right, great idea. I saw that on the link Buffalo4 provided too. I don't know where the starter is exactly, but the key fob does not require a lot of amps so it should be safe enough. I could have tried this on Sunday, but as it turned out the locksmith got it open on Monday.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Just make sure you aren't pulling on the door handle while turning the key.
Turn the key cw, I believe, and then back to its neutral position and then pull on the door handle.

Simple to try. If you are pulling on the handle while turning the key, I don't think the door will open.
You probably know this, but I am just putting this out just in case you didn't.
Best of luck,
Buffalo4
Yep, I thought of that. But it doesn't hurt to mention, as it may help someone else who reads this 4 years from now. ;D

I had to tell the locksmith to PUSH the locking tab above the drivers door release so it would be unlocked. He said his Toyota was the opposite (pull to unlock). So it is worth noting. It was tough, but with his tool it was only about 4-5 minutes.

Remaining question really is it worth the time to take the door panel off and see if I can reconnect the key cylinder - or is it all closed up in the door where DIY cannot reach it? I think some makers try and enclose stuff so only techs with the right tools can do some maintenance tasks now. I haven't seen an '08 door opened yet.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Also could access the hood cable under the fender liner to pop the hood. Bad people will use that method for bad reasons.
Yeah, that was what I was hoping, but I could not see it. It was dark and cold and I was not at my most patient by then... I did try google for this but did not see any videos or photos of where exactly it might be. I figured I would have to strip the out sheath to actually pull the cable, but thinking now probably enough to just bend it and pull? That assumes there is enough slack in the sheathing too.

Knowing that would probably help people when the release latch inside the cab was broken. I may have to start at the hood end and trace it back.

·
Registered
3,716 Posts
If you can get to the starter cables, that sounds like it might be the easiest. Or contact the neighborhood gang and they would probable have the door open in seconds.
Did you ask your local police dept?
Buffalo4

·
Registered
2,551 Posts
If you can get to the cable via the fender well, I'd suggest putting a clamp on the sheathing so it clamps the inner cable. This way it'll pull the cable when you pull on the sheath. Remember it's a 'cable in tension, housing in compression' system.

·
Registered
3,716 Posts
Somehow I missed your post #11.
Did the guy use the inflatable cuff at the top of the door?
Glad you got in and thanks for posting the 'push' not 'pull' advice, which may help others.
Buffalo4

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Somehow I missed your post #11.
Did the guy use the inflatable cuff at the top of the door?
Glad you got in and thanks for posting the 'push' not 'pull' advice, which may help others.
Buffalo4
Yep the locksmith used the inflatable wedge (like this http://www.amazon.com/dp/B011U1K5SO/) halfway up the window. Then the wire (like this http://www.amazon.com/Access-Tool-AETQM-Quick-Reach/dp/B00JRPCKPM/) and it took him < 5 minutes. The only difficult part was the lock/unlock tab- he had to put a little bend in his wire. Now I am irritated that I tried a coat hanger first as I scratched the inside of the door frame needlessly.

As I live in a suburb of a big city, I think the police do not offer car unlock services, and may be irate at getting a call asking them to do that. Maybe for cute young ladies, which I am not. ;)

One question- if I connect the jumper cable to the starter, isn't there a relay between the starter and the battery or the rest of the electrical system? I mean power has to get to both the computer and the door relay/actuator. Just curious on that part.

·
Registered
2,551 Posts
So that inflatable wedge pried the door frame away from the body enough to get the wire in and push the door lock button?

·
Registered
3,716 Posts
The heavy wire to the Starter goes right to the battery and is always hot, so making that wire hot (pos +) with a jumper battery and jumper cables and connecting the neg from the jumper to a metal part of the car gives the car battery cables power which will let your remote open the doors, AFAIK. The relays and cutout controls the power to the starter solenoid which then engages the Starter.
That inflatable cuff works well, overall and makes those guys a lot of money. Most time they put it in the vertical door jamb fairly high up on the window area. Happy it worked out for you.

Too bad you scratched the door frame. :(
Remember, no good deed goes unpunished. :)
Buffalo4

1 - 20 of 22 Posts