Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of December's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'll be out of state for 10 days don't want the alarm going off while I'm gone. Can the CR-V (2017) be locked without turning on the alarm?

·
Premium Member
6,154 Posts
take the neg bat terminal off, manually lock the door, walk away, return to stick the key in, pop the hood, place the bat terminal on and battery won't be drained. Off you go, just leave the tool in the trunk hidden for your use.

Reactions: marty1

·
Registered
2,902 Posts
The CR-V doesn't come with an alarm system from the factory.
Why do you think you have an alarm system? Is it because the horn beeps when you lock the doors with the remote?

·
Super Moderator
2017 CRV Touring - Pearl White w Black Interior
7,634 Posts
The CR-V doesn't come with an alarm system from the factory.
Why do you think you have an alarm system? Is it because the horn beeps when you lock the doors with the remote?
It does actually.. see the blinking red light on your instrument cluster when the vehicle is locked.

But it is kind of rudamentary. It has two parts to it.. 1) the imobilizer part.. which prevents anyone from starting the vehicle if they do not have a properly coded key. 2) a horn based alarm that triggers if any of the doors or hood, or cargo hatch are forced open when the vehicle is in a locked state.

If the stock alarm is triggered, you have to actually unlock the vehicle with your fob to get it to stop.

I'm not aware of any way to disable the stock alarm system in the CRV.

Some dealers apply an after market alarm system (more for them and their own liability insurance) which they can and will activate as part of the sale of the vehicle for a fee. My dealer does this, and I always take the alarm activation as part of my purchase... because it adds a new layer of security... essentially making the vehicle alarms go off if the vehicle is in any way impacted even sleightly.. like when someone comes up and starts messing with your car to see if doors are locked, etc. It's actually pretty sensitive, as I one day dropped a small bottle of cleaning agent on my hood when the vehicle was locked and the vehicle went crazy about it. :) If the vehicle is not further molested.. it will stop on it's own after about 15 seconds.

·
Super Moderator
2017 CRV Touring - Pearl White w Black Interior
7,634 Posts
Can you point us to the section in the Owners Manual where the information about the alarm system is located?
In my 2017 CRV full owners manual.. it is on page 163 There is an asterisk footnote that it is not available on all models.. but does not specify which ones.

From the manual:

Security System

Immobilizer System
The immobilizer system prevents a key that has not been pre-registered from
starting the engine. Each key contains electronic transmitters that use electronic
signals to verify the key.
Pay attention to the following when inserting the key into the ignition switch or
pressing the ENGINE START/STOP button*:
• Do not allow objects that emit strong radio waves near the ignition switch*1.
• Make sure the key is not covered by or touching a metal object.
• Do not bring a key from another vehicle's immobilizer system near the ignition
switch.

Security System Alarm*
The security system alarm activates when the tailgate, hood or doors are forcibly
opened. The alarm does not go off if the tailgate or doors are opened with the key,
remote transmitter or smart entry system.
However, the alarm goes off if a door is opened with the key, then the shift lever is
moved out of (P or the hood is opened before the power mode is set to ON.
When the security system alarm activates
The horn sounds intermittently and all the exterior lights flash.
*1: Models with the smart entry system have an ENGINE START/STOP button
instead of an ignition switch.
* Not available on all models.

·
Registered
150 Posts
I'll be out of state for 10 days don't want the alarm going off while I'm gone. Can the CR-V (2017) be locked without turning on the alarm?
Hi,

The Power Door Lock (PDL) function is independent of the security function. The security arms in the vehicle when all the doors and tailgate register as closed and locked (there are other inputs that need to be satisfied as well, but for this discussion, we'll stick with these). In addition the hood must be fully closed and latched. If the hood doesn't record as being latched, the alarm will never arm.

The switch in the latch is CLOSED when latched and OPEN when not latched. If the hood switch were OPEN all the time, then the security in the vehicle would never arm (it wouldn't effect the PDL or Panic functions with the remote). So it follows that if the hood switched were UNPLUGGED the hood switch would register as OPEN and the alarm would never set.

See the attached diagrams to see if this is a path you want to take.

I hope this helps,

Cheers!
Line Text Diagram Parallel Slope

Diagram Automotive design Vehicle Glass Automotive lighting

Text Line Font Diagram Design

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hi,

The Power Door Lock (PDL) function is independent of the security function. The security arms in the vehicle when all the doors and tailgate register as closed and locked (there are other inputs that need to be satisfied as well, but for this discussion, we'll stick with these). In addition the hood must be fully closed and latched. If the hood doesn't record as being latched, the alarm will never arm.

The switch in the latch is CLOSED when latched and OPEN when not latched. If the hood switch were OPEN all the time, then the security in the vehicle would never arm (it wouldn't effect the PDL or Panic functions with the remote). So it follows that if the hood switched were UNPLUGGED the hood switch would register as OPEN and the alarm would never set.

See the attached diagrams to see if this is a path you want to take.

I hope this helps,

Cheers!
View attachment 135747
View attachment 135749
View attachment 135748
That makes sense BigMo. I'll try it out and see what happens.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts