Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys. I have my vehicle search down to a CX-5 and a 2012-2014 CR-V. However I am leaning heavily to the CR-V because I have always had a fascination with seeing how long I can get a vehicle to last and the CR-V seems to be the prime candidate for this.

I am trying to stay under $20k and sub 45k miles in order to still have 1-2 years of driving left on the 60k powertrain warranty and this appears to put me in the range of 2012-2014s.

I will be test driving some soon and am curious as to what I should be on the lookout for for these years other than the usual clean vehicle history and good maintenance records. I've read on these forums that many of 12-14's had the engine noise at start up in cold temps but due to it being warmer outside currently, this may not be obvious. If this shows up later, will the powertrain warranty cover it?

Also, any other advice when searching/test driving? I'd very much appreciate the help!

·
Registered
2,819 Posts
I have a '13 EX and it's great! It does have the periodic noise at start up when it's cold outside though. It's covered under the 5/60K warranty though. Other than that, I haven't had a single issue with it at 25,900 miles. Good luck with your search and keep us posted!

·
Registered
776 Posts
Similar to Coastie, I also have a '13 EX and it's fine !! If you put stock in Consumer Reports, they summarize the '13 as above average and then it continues to go down hill every year thereafter. One thing I did notice when shopping for mine was the number of used CR-V's that were very high mileage and long in the tooth to boot !! I paid 20 for mine last August with 21,000 miles from a private party. You're in the ball park !! Good luck. Craig

·
Registered
231 Posts
I'm still new around here (bought a Certified 2013 LX early lease return in January for my daughter), but here are my observations:

2012 - Typical first year new model growing pains. Heater core clogs, battery smart-charge regulator/software issues, etc.

2013 - Seems to be pretty well sorted out. $20k will get you an EX, we got our LX for $16k. It depends on whether the extra creature comforts are important to you.

2014 - The big detractor seems to be the return to an improved form of indirect TPMS. While the system is supposed to be smart enough to detect a low pressure situation without sensors, there have been plenty of reports of false alarms and repeat dealer visits.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks a million for the info guys! I'll be looking to pull the trigger on a CR-V soon. Then I'm sure I'll be on these forums frequently :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts