Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been looking at the 2019 Touring AWD and have a good deal worked with the dealer. I'm not that concerned about the oil dilution issue given that I live in Texas and most trips will be more than a few miles... But I've also run across allot of chatter about battery/charging issues. This particular CRV was sitting on the lot for a couple of months and the battery was dead with 29 miles on it. The dealer did replace the battery. Is this a sign of issues to come?

For all of you that have bought a newer CRV, would you recommend buying or find something else? I'm also considering waiting for a 2020 model, but I'm sure that will cost me a couple thousand more.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I've owned an '18 Touring for nearly a year and a half. To be honest, I cannot fully recommend a purchase. Since I live in snow/cold country (ND) I've found my CR-V cannot develop enough cabin heat, not to mention the other issues seen here in other posts. 8 months of the year I really like the CR-V and the electronic toys the Touring offers, but 4 months of near 0 degrees and below the CR-V is often left in the garage in favor of my Chevy Colorado with a good heater!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks everyone for the input. Just don't want to buy something that turns into a problem child... I'm in TX, so not too concerned about the heating issues, although I fully understand your situation with it.

·
Registered
474 Posts
The AWD cost more to maintain as the rear differential needs a $250 service about every 30,000 miles if you want the system to last.
Unless you have to start your car from a dead stop on a hill in slippery conditions, AWD does nothing.
I have owned FWD Honda's since 1977 - never got stuck, never needed AWD - cannot understand the need unless you live on a muddy dirt road. Subaru's AWD is much better than Honda's.

·
Registered
2,242 Posts
Hello fellow Texan.

I don't believe Honda, or any auto manufacturer, makes their own car batteries. Batteries are not being "charged" if the motor is not running (unless it's on a battery charger). There is a constant "drain" on the battery when the motor is not running.

AWD costs more upfront, costs more to maintain, uses more gas and probably not needed in Texas. We purposely bought FWD for those reasons.

Subaru, hands down, has the better AWD........but the 2.5L normally aspirated is a slug compared to the 1.5L turblow.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Hello fellow Texan.

AWD costs more upfront, costs more to maintain, uses more gas and probably not needed in Texas. We purposely bought FWD for those reasons.
We skipped AWD and actually had to wait longer for delivery for those reasons as well. however at the risk of turning this into an endless thread on merits of AWD, if you are ok with the maintenance overhead you can sometimes use AWD to get a good deal on the CRV if your immediate market location has very high demand for FWD.

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
I've been looking at the 2019 Touring AWD and have a good deal worked with the dealer. I'm not that concerned about the oil dilution issue given that I live in Texas and most trips will be more than a few miles... But I've also run across allot of chatter about battery/charging issues. This particular CRV was sitting on the lot for a couple of months and the battery was dead with 29 miles on it. The dealer did replace the battery. Is this a sign of issues to come?

For all of you that have bought a newer CRV, would you recommend buying or find something else? I'm also considering waiting for a 2020 model, but I'm sure that will cost me a couple thousand more.
Given the stand by current on a fully shut down gen5 CRV Touring is ~35ma... if you do the math vs the 51R battery... it will last about 25-30 days IF fully charged when it was powered down.

They really should have put a bigger battery in the gen5... like they did with the 1.5T Accords (an H5).

So.. no.. I would not be concerned, since they put a fresh new battery into the vehicle.

In my view....shame on the dealer for not having a crew that goes around and puts smart chargers on their inventory that sits on the lot in some sort of rotation within the expected charge life of the vehicles. Then again.. a lot of CRV trim levels don't sit on the lots long. LXs and some EXs are probably more likely to sit on the lot for a period of time.

There were some abnormal parasitics in the gen5 at a couple points in time, but these have been addressed in TSBs and should have been corrected on any vehicles sitting on dealer lots months ago.

·
Registered
58 Posts
yes, the crv is an amazing suv. Tons of space, best gas mileage in it's class, smooth suspension, very smooth cvt, and fantastic torque.

·
Registered
10 Posts

I purchased a 2019 EXL and after driving Honda’s for over 40 years I would recommend buying a Toyota. The 2019 is junk and there is not any real support any more. Recalls, electronics die, Honda link does not link to anything.....

·
Registered
62 Posts
I purchased a 2019 EXL and after driving Honda’s for over 40 years I would recommend buying a Toyota. The 2019 is junk and there is not any real support any more. Recalls, electronics die, Honda link does not link to anything.....
I was ready to buy the new 2019 RAV4 after negotiating a price online. Previous vehicle was a 2000 Sienna that did very well for us and so was determined to stick with Toyota. Test drove that piece of crap and said no thanks. Noisy engine and horrible transmission. Walked across the street and was so impressed with the CRV. Everything about it was so much more remarkable and impressive than the RAV4. Felt a bit guilty at first, but Toyota really dropped the ball on the new model.

·
Registered
742 Posts
Sorry you have that experience. Cars are a bit like airlines. If you stay with one brand long enough you'll swear off of them, but often find your way back due to one reason or another.

I love my CRV, and I agree that Honda Link is crap. I don't have any other issues that haven't been fixed by product updates, performed during regular oil changes.

The ones I feel for are the people with crappy dealers that don't help. Every tsb I've shown my dealer, they have applied once they verify applicability.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Comment from a real owner:
I've had a 2015, 2018 which was involved in a total loss accident, and picked up my 2019 Touring on the 15th of this month, which I love. I also live in British Columbia where it gets to 0° F during the winter, and the heat is not an issue after the TSB update last year on the '18. This '19 we have now is the best one yet, plus there are deals to be had this time of year!

·
Registered
154 Posts
While the CR-V is far from perfect, I still think it's safer and easier to live with than the 2019 RAV4. When I test drove the RAV4 earlier this year I was thoroughly unimpressed, particularly with regard to the acceleration and the steering. Many reviewers panned the RAV4 for it's poor driving dynamics. There are also a lot of unhappy owners on RAV4 World and among others a long thread dedicated to transmission problems.

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
I love my CRV, and I agree that Honda Link is crap. I don't have any other issues that haven't been fixed by product updates, performed during regular oil changes.
Yeah.. HondLink is a waste on the gen5 CRV. But if the newest generation Accord is any indicator.... the next generation CRV will have real full range HondLink feature sets to it... but again.. you have to pay a periodic fee for the really desired features. Not worth it to me.. but some owners will love it.

·
Registered
316 Posts
You are the only one who recommends Toyota over the Honda CRV.

All the major auto mags have tested both and were disappointed with the new RAV4 and rated it below the CRV.

The CRV was the clear winner in 2018 and 2019.

Sent from my LG-H700 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
96 Posts
The AWD cost more to maintain as the rear differential needs a $250 service about every 30,000 miles if you want the system to last.
Unless you have to start your car from a dead stop on a hill in slippery conditions, AWD does nothing.
I have owned FWD Honda's since 1977 - never got stuck, never needed AWD - cannot understand the need unless you live on a muddy dirt road. Subaru's AWD is much better than Honda's.
If your experience has been with FWD vehicles, its hard to understand how you can assess the value of AWD or how one manufacturer's system is better. I live in northern Virginia, certainly not a heavy snow state, but having owned both I can absolutely say it is useful for much more than starting out on a snowy hill! The added security and traction in snow is remarkable. I want my wife in an AWD when she goes to her volunteer job on a snowy morning!

Sent from my Samsung Tab A using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 51 Posts
About this Discussion
50 Replies
41 Participants
mikefocke
Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums
Honda CR-V Owners Club forum, the best hang-out to discuss CVT, Hybrids, trim levels and all things CR-V
Full Forum Listing