Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

21 - 40 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
The AWD cost more to maintain as the rear differential needs a $250 service about every 30,000 miles if you want the system to last.
Unless you have to start your car from a dead stop on a hill in slippery conditions, AWD does nothing.
I have owned FWD Honda's since 1977 - never got stuck, never needed AWD - cannot understand the need unless you live on a muddy dirt road. Subaru's AWD is much better than Honda's.
$250 to service the AWD? Wow...where are you taking that car? Bring it over to my house and I will do it for $50..its a piece of cake and takes about 15 or 20 minutes if you are slow.
As for AWD...wouldn't buy one without it. Its "smart" in that it automatically engages on start up and stays on until about 15 MPH. Great on a wet road take off, especially on a hill or curve. Majorly better than our FWD car which will try to spin its wheels and go sideways on a hard wet road take off. Also, AWD helps while driving any time there is poor traction as it will automatically vector power to the rear when there are low traction conditions.
Resale value: Where I live its difficult to sell a FWD model. You lose more in resale value than the AWD cost new so you save a bit up front but lose it on the other end when you sell. If you are just CHEAP and don't want AWD then don't buy it but, its a personal decision. Many of us have no desire to have a vehicle that is NOT AWD.

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
I've been looking at the 2019 Touring AWD and have a good deal worked with the dealer. I'm not that concerned about the oil dilution issue given that I live in Texas and most trips will be more than a few miles... But I've also run across allot of chatter about battery/charging issues. This particular CRV was sitting on the lot for a couple of months and the battery was dead with 29 miles on it. The dealer did replace the battery. Is this a sign of issues to come?

For all of you that have bought a newer CRV, would you recommend buying or find something else? I'm also considering waiting for a 2020 model, but I'm sure that will cost me a couple thousand more.
We got a '17 Touring and loved it. Nice and warm in the winter (gets down to about zero here). Never used oil, nor got gasoline in it. Never had a battery problem. Our kids, who had been Toyota Rav4 fans loved it so much they ditched their harsh riding, noisey Rav4 and got a 2019 CR-V. They also love their new CR-V and have had zero issues with it. We live in an area that is 90+ in the Summer and down to zero or so in the Winter and with a lot of Honda's in the family none of us see any problems with heaters, batteries, or gas in the oil. Maybe we are just "lucky", but I doubt it. With nearly 40 Honda cars in the greater family all have been pretty happy with them.

·
Registered
200 Posts
CRV is a great SUV, but the Rav4 Hybrid knocks it out and at the Touring Price, Id rather hit up a Rav4 XLE Hybrid with the XSE Trim.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I've been looking at the 2019 Touring AWD and have a good deal worked with the dealer. I'm not that concerned about the oil dilution issue given that I live in Texas and most trips will be more than a few miles... But I've also run across allot of chatter about battery/charging issues. This particular CRV was sitting on the lot for a couple of months and the battery was dead with 29 miles on it. The dealer did replace the battery. Is this a sign of issues to come?

For all of you that have bought a newer CRV, would you recommend buying or find something else? I'm also considering waiting for a 2020 model, but I'm sure that will cost me a couple thousand more.
I own a 2014 AWD. Maintenance costs on it are peanuts. If you cannot afford an AWD fluid change every 30K gosh buy a scooter. I live in an area where snow for weeks comes every year, so AWD works well for me. I am fortunate owning a naturally aspirated 2.4 ltr with auto trans. I don't care for turbos and especially direct injection. CTV's to me: NO. As a former American V8 engine builder I am old school. Honda could have easily boosted HP in the 2.4 ltr. Honda built DI, Turbo 1.5 ltr engines for one main reason just like the CTV: cost savings. Honda knows turbo tech very well from the old days and present day in F1. Their CVT is one if not THE highest rated on the market.

The more complex an engine the more problems will arise. Good luck.

·
Registered
37 Posts

I am in south Florida, never had any OD issues or battery issues. My 2018 Touring is exactly 13 months old and has only 7200 miles, so it doesn't get all that much driving and very few long trips. Just went to Orlando and the car was parked for a week and all was OK. As another poster has said, cars today are always using some power, and a couple of months without use might be long enough to make a difference. I quite like the car, given that it is my first car in 20 years that's not a BMW. Had to quickly buy something and was not about to spend that sort of money. The small turbo engine works great in its sweet spot. At 70 can the highway I can get around 37 mpg. Go much above 75 and it drops down to about 30. I think that's typical for small turbos. Power or economy - you get to pick. I remember driving an Audi in Germany many years ago with the 2.2L 5 cylinder. At 155 mph, it was getting 11 mpg.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I could not be happier with my 2018 CRV Touring AWD. No issues whatsoever. I love that it is smooth, quiet, nimble, comfortable and can haul so much stuff.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I own a 2014 AWD. Maintenance costs on it are peanuts. If you cannot afford an AWD fluid change every 30K gosh buy a scooter. I live in an area where snow for weeks comes every year, so AWD works well for me. I am fortunate owning a naturally aspirated 2.4 ltr with auto trans. I don't care for turbos and especially direct injection. CTV's to me: NO. As a former American V8 engine builder I am old school. Honda could have easily boosted HP in the 2.4 ltr. Honda built DI, Turbo 1.5 ltr engines for one main reason just like the CTV: cost savings. Honda knows turbo tech very well from the old days and present day in F1. Their CVT is one if not THE highest rated on the market.

The more complex an engine the more problems will arise. Good luck.
Again, as a driver of nothing but BMW's for 20 years before the CRV, I have no problem at all with the CVT. It was the one thing that bothered me about the car, until I drove it and wondered what all the fuss is about. 8 speeds, 9 speeds? How about infinite speeds. Somehow, it always seems to be where it needs to be. I am actually quite impressed.

·
Registered
10 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
I had a 2019 CRV AWD EXL, still some oil dilution, heater not quite hot enough even for our southeast TX mild winters, so in July I traded for a 2019 Toyota RAV4 Hybrid, quieter car, rides good a lot better fuel mileage averages over 40 MPG CRV averaged 25 to 28. I feel the Rav 4 Hybrid is superior to the CRV and about the same price, only my opinion, heard of no on going problems with it as the CRV had.

·
Registered
5 Posts

I just received a recall notice for my 2019 CRV. It seems the Evap. Emission system software sometimes doesn't go into sleep mode and drains the battery. That may be the cause of the dead battery. Also, in the "good old days", when the key was taken out of the ignition switch, the only current drained from the battery was for the clock and radio pushbutton memories, which was negligible. Newer cars constantly draw some power from the battery, even when the ignition is off. Nowadays, it might be "normal" for a battery to be drained if the car sits without being started for a week or two. A new car sitting on the lot for a few weeks could very easily have a discharged/dead battery. I wouldn't worry about that, especially if he replaced the battery.
As someone said, AWD is probably not critical unless you are frequently on dirt roads. The amount of snow Texas typically gets in a year isn't enough to warrant AWD. And AWD doesn't help at all with glaze ice.
John Lon

·
Registered
1 Posts

I have the 2017 Touring AWD, and it is the best car I have ever owned. I traded in a Lexus RX350; I honestly enjoy the CRV more. I have 18,300 miles on it, and I have had no problems whatsoever. I live in Florida, so the oil dilution issue has never been a problem. There have been virtually no changes since the redesign in 2017 models, so I really see no advantage in waiting for a 2020 if you can get a really good deal on the 2019.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Thanks everyone for the input. Just don't want to buy something that turns into a problem child... I'm in TX, so not too concerned about the heating issues, although I fully understand your situation with it.
I have a 2017 CRV EX with 53000 miles on it. I have never had any heating or battery issues. You can't find a FWD in Minnesota.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I’ve had my 2017 CR-V Touring since December 2016 and have not had a single issue with it. I love this car! I would recommend it without hesitation.

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
CRV is a great SUV, but the Rav4 Hybrid knocks it out and at the Touring Price, Id rather hit up a Rav4 XLE Hybrid with the XSE Trim.
The Hybrid RAV4 solves the powertrain issues of the new RAV4 ... but does absolutely nothing to address all the other negatives reported by just about every review on the internet.

·
Registered
2 Posts

Love our

For all of you that have bought a newer CRV, would you recommend buying or find something else? I'm also considering waiting for a 2020 model, but I'm sure that will cost me a couple thousa

Love our 2019 CRV Touring. No issues with oil. I did see there was a software update to fix issue where if the car sat for a long time it didn’t shutdown the computer and would cause battery to drain. We have not had that issue and for those that did there is a software update to address the issue. Great car so far owned since Feb.

·
Registered
1 Posts

For all of you that have bought a newer CRV, would you recommend buying or find something else? I'm also considering waiting for a 2020 model, but I'm sure that wi a year and ll cost me a couple thousand more.
I live in Montana and bought a 2017 EX AWD 1.5 years ago and I love it. No battery problems and no problems at all. Handles the snow and ice with ease. I drive a lot in state and to Colorado. I am an outdoorsman and off road as well. I camp and fish and hunt. I love everything about my CRV. I even pull a light covered utility trailer or a small popup trailer. I have learned how to drive and take care of hoe they truly work my CRV and like it better than the Subaru Outback I traded for the CRV. I use the driving assist features daily. When you learn all of the features and how they work and their limitations driving is better, safer and not fatiguing. Cruise control and the distance set works all the way to a full stop, lane departure alerts and tries to correct departure, lane assist lasts for 14 seconds but has limitations when off ramps etc break the rt/lf line, and traction control works behind the scene.

·
Premium Member
10 Posts
I drive rutted, steep, gravelly, wet and snowy roads often enough to appreciate the AWD. Plus I live in snow country (Western New York) and travel to Canada for family and friends often enough to feel better about having AWD available. I have no opinion on Subaru AWD, but Honda’s AWD has been sufficient for me and the fuel economy is likely better.

I know cold/snow is not pertinent to your situation, but wanted to chime in and give a positive perspective.

I have no experience with or opinions of the Touring editions. For the two CR-Vs I have owned, both EX without navigation or subwoofer, I’ve simply upgraded the head unit with a better radio, including CarPlay in my current ‘09. Added to the standard equipment, those are all the toys I need. YMMV

·
Registered
2 Posts

Be concerned about the Garmin GPS. Mine was off by 15 miles and often had me driving through a lake!!!
2019 Honda CRV Touring

·
Registered
6 Posts
I've owned an '18 Touring for nearly a year and a half. To be honest, I cannot fully recommend a purchase. Since I live in snow/cold country (ND) I've found my CR-V cannot develop enough cabin heat, not to mention the other issues seen here in other posts. 8 months of the year I really like the CR-V and the electronic toys the Touring offers, but 4 months of near 0 degrees and below the CR-V is often left in the garage in favor of my Chevy Colorado with a good heater!
Takes my 2017...a full 17 minutes to come to temp in ( normal cold weather )...like 0 to 5 degrees

21 - 40 of 51 Posts
About this Discussion
50 Replies
41 Participants
mikefocke
Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums
Honda CR-V Owners Club forum, the best hang-out to discuss CVT, Hybrids, trim levels and all things CR-V
Full Forum Listing