Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

41 - 51 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
I've been looking at the 2019 Touring AWD and have a good deal worked with the dealer. I'm not that concerned about the oil dilution issue given that I live in Texas and most trips will be more than a few miles... But I've also run across allot of chatter about battery/charging issues. This particular CRV was sitting on the lot for a couple of months and the battery was dead with 29 miles on it. The dealer did replace the battery. Is this a sign of issues to come?

For all of you that have bought a newer CRV, would you recommend buying or find something else? I'm also considering waiting for a 2020 model, but I'm sure that will cost me a couple thousand more.

I have a 2019 Honda CRV EXL, and the vehicle has been great. No real issues to date, and the recall item was taken care of promptly by the dealer. I have not experienced any issues with battery, charging, oil dlution or tranny issues. The car runs great. The only complaint I have is with the Android /APPLE car play USB hook up. It is rather sensitive and any movement of the cable to my phone may disconnect it, and force me to reset the connection by unplugging the cord into my phone, and plugging it back in. I have read a few other people complaints of the same issue. The Honda display interface is a bit cumbersome (lots of menus within menus to get at features) and should be improved by Honda. But these are minor issues unrelated to the driving experience. Overall a great vehicle. If you are looking at the touring, money should not be an issue so it may be best that you get a 2020 CRV because it has improved airbags.

·
Registered
1,961 Posts
Be concerned about the Garmin GPS. Mine was off by 15 miles and often had me driving through a lake!!!
I've used Garmin GPS systems for years and the only problem I've had is when I haven't updated the maps recently and I find myself on a fairly new road.

The oddest experience was driving over a new bridge to one of the Outer Banks islands that wasn't in the maps database on my Garmin. The display on the GPS showed me driving over water. :D

·
Registered
11 Posts
I've been looking at the 2019 Touring AWD and have a good deal worked with the dealer. I'm not that concerned about the oil dilution issue given that I live in Texas and most trips will be more than a few miles... But I've also run across allot of chatter about battery/charging issues. This particular CRV was sitting on the lot for a couple of months and the battery was dead with 29 miles on it. The dealer did replace the battery. Is this a sign of issues to come?

For all of you that have bought a newer CRV, would you recommend buying or find something else? I'm also considering waiting for a 2020 model, but I'm sure that will cost me a couple thousand more.
Go for the 2019 if it is a good deal, money-wise. The 2020 may not look too much different......minor cosmetic changes inside and out. And, ANY car can be a lemon.....look at all the dissatisfied owners of the 2019 Toyota RAV4....yes, the RAV4 has issues. I purchased my '18 CR-V Touring in December 2018 and have had no oil dilution issues (currently have 7,200 miles on it). Recently I was on disability due to surgery and my car sat for 4 weeks without being started. I drove it for the first time yesterday and it started right up.
Now. I have had some software issues where I have lost the radio and speedometer screens. Nothing there, just a blank screen. I took it back to the dealer a couple of months ago and they performed a "factory reset" of the software. So far have not experienced anymore issues. Aside from that, I love the car. It's quiet, handles well, I love all the bells and whistles. It's not the fastest automobile, but if that's what I had wanted I would have went with a Pilot. This CR-V fits my needs and after owning 6 brand new Accords ('90, '95, '99, '03, '09, '15) purchasing this CR-V has been a wise decision for me.
Good luck with your choice of the '19 or '20.

·
Registered
2,185 Posts
Just had a coworker buy a 2019 CRV last week. It's getting kind of ridiculous! The first two months that I owned mine passing people would be looking at it when I would go into the garage as it was one of less than maybe 10 in the town. Fast forward to today and now out of about 80 employee vehicles in the Garage there are about 10 CRV's in parking lot. Mine is still the only AWD model but the vehicle is so common now that everytime I go to a shopping mall I have to be looking at the license plate before I walk up to a CRV, if not I may end up trying to open someone else's CRV.

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
I've used Garmin GPS systems for years and the only problem I've had is when I haven't updated the maps recently and I find myself on a fairly new road.

The oddest experience was driving over a new bridge to one of the Outer Banks islands that wasn't in the maps database on my Garmin. The display on the GPS showed me driving over water. :D
I agree. I have had ZERO issues with the native nav system in my 2017. In fact.. it generally performs better at nav then my wifes smartphone when she is in the CRV with me. She likes to run her nav apps in parallel when we are on long trips, and honestly.. the native nav does a better job 95% of the time.. and she is jealous and now wishes she had opted for nav in her 2018 Accord.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I bought a 2019 CRV Touring the end of June. Have about 5,000 miles.... 90% of the driving is highway and mountains... Overall it was an ok purchase. But, I have several issues..

1. Cruise control issue..... going downhill with no one in front of me the cruise control does not work.. The speed will increase as if no cruise control... I must brake to slow the vehicle. This was not the case for my prior vehicles (one of which was a Pilot).
2. Honda Sensing issue... Not very sensitive. Sensing does not immediately kick in when the vehicle crosses the center or outside lines. My Pilot would kick in much sooner without the delay.
3. I find the driver's seat uncomfortable for my back.. This is probably a personal issue and not widespread.

If I had to do it all over again I would probably buy the Subaru Outback.. But because we have been driving hondas for 12 years I bought the honda...

·
Registered
3 Posts
The AWD cost more to maintain as the rear differential needs a $250 service about every 30,000 miles if you want the system to last.
Unless you have to start your car from a dead stop on a hill in slippery conditions, AWD does nothing.
I have owned FWD Honda's since 1977 - never got stuck, never needed AWD - cannot understand the need unless you live on a muddy dirt road. Subaru's AWD is much better than Honda's.
Unless things have changed since my 2012 Honda CR-V, just checked my very recent service at a Honda dealer and only paid $87 for the rear differential service.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Unless things have changed since my 2012 Honda CR-V, just checked my very recent service at a Honda dealer and only paid $87 for the rear differential service.
The AWD cost more to maintain as the rear differential needs a $250 service about every 30,000 miles if you want the system to last.
Unless you have to start your car from a dead stop on a hill in slippery conditions, AWD does nothing.
I have owned FWD Honda's since 1977 - never got stuck, never needed AWD - cannot understand the need unless you live on a muddy dirt road. Subaru's AWD is much better than Honda's.
Just had the rear diff service on my 2018 done by my dealer two weeks ago. $79.12 For that price I'm not about to even get my hands dirty.

·
Registered
153 Posts
With some major changes to the 2020 model year coming, wait till those are announced. Better deals.

I followed this CRV forum for months and was put off by the GIO issue and Honda's response and instead bought a '19 Rav4 hybrid. Very different from the ICE powered Rav4. In general I like it a lot. The infotainment is mediocre as are most. The only big complaint about it seems to be the inability of many cars to completely fill the gas tank. Doesn't affect MPG (I am getting 43) just how soon you have to refill without the last one or two gallons in the tank. Toyota is aware. And no Android Auto. I like the MPG, the power, the noise level and the electronic nannies. Also seem to be in short supply in the SoCal area. Enough demand there that MSRP is sometimes not the asking price.Not so in the east.

41 - 51 of 51 Posts
About this Discussion
50 Replies
41 Participants
mikefocke
Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums
Honda CR-V Owners Club forum, the best hang-out to discuss CVT, Hybrids, trim levels and all things CR-V
Full Forum Listing