Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Looking at 2019 Touring AWD - Would you buy?

8K views 65 replies 46 participants last post by  DSMDAVID 
#1 ·
I've been looking at the 2019 Touring AWD and have a good deal worked with the dealer. I'm not that concerned about the oil dilution issue given that I live in Texas and most trips will be more than a few miles... But I've also run across allot of chatter about battery/charging issues. This particular CRV was sitting on the lot for a couple of months and the battery was dead with 29 miles on it. The dealer did replace the battery. Is this a sign of issues to come?

For all of you that have bought a newer CRV, would you recommend buying or find something else? I'm also considering waiting for a 2020 model, but I'm sure that will cost me a couple thousand more.

#38 ·
I drive rutted, steep, gravelly, wet and snowy roads often enough to appreciate the AWD. Plus I live in snow country (Western New York) and travel to Canada for family and friends often enough to feel better about having AWD available. I have no opinion on Subaru AWD, but Honda’s AWD has been sufficient for me and the fuel economy is likely better.

I know cold/snow is not pertinent to your situation, but wanted to chime in and give a positive perspective.

I have no experience with or opinions of the Touring editions. For the two CR-Vs I have owned, both EX without navigation or subwoofer, I’ve simply upgraded the head unit with a better radio, including CarPlay in my current ‘09. Added to the standard equipment, those are all the toys I need. YMMV

#42 ·
Be concerned about the Garmin GPS. Mine was off by 15 miles and often had me driving through a lake!!!
I've used Garmin GPS systems for years and the only problem I've had is when I haven't updated the maps recently and I find myself on a fairly new road.

The oddest experience was driving over a new bridge to one of the Outer Banks islands that wasn't in the maps database on my Garmin. The display on the GPS showed me driving over water. :D

#41 ·
I have a 2019 Honda CRV EXL, and the vehicle has been great. No real issues to date, and the recall item was taken care of promptly by the dealer. I have not experienced any issues with battery, charging, oil dlution or tranny issues. The car runs great. The only complaint I have is with the Android /APPLE car play USB hook up. It is rather sensitive and any movement of the cable to my phone may disconnect it, and force me to reset the connection by unplugging the cord into my phone, and plugging it back in. I have read a few other people complaints of the same issue. The Honda display interface is a bit cumbersome (lots of menus within menus to get at features) and should be improved by Honda. But these are minor issues unrelated to the driving experience. Overall a great vehicle. If you are looking at the touring, money should not be an issue so it may be best that you get a 2020 CRV because it has improved airbags.

#43 ·
Go for the 2019 if it is a good deal, money-wise. The 2020 may not look too much different......minor cosmetic changes inside and out. And, ANY car can be a lemon.....look at all the dissatisfied owners of the 2019 Toyota RAV4....yes, the RAV4 has issues. I purchased my '18 CR-V Touring in December 2018 and have had no oil dilution issues (currently have 7,200 miles on it). Recently I was on disability due to surgery and my car sat for 4 weeks without being started. I drove it for the first time yesterday and it started right up.
Now. I have had some software issues where I have lost the radio and speedometer screens. Nothing there, just a blank screen. I took it back to the dealer a couple of months ago and they performed a "factory reset" of the software. So far have not experienced anymore issues. Aside from that, I love the car. It's quiet, handles well, I love all the bells and whistles. It's not the fastest automobile, but if that's what I had wanted I would have went with a Pilot. This CR-V fits my needs and after owning 6 brand new Accords ('90, '95, '99, '03, '09, '15) purchasing this CR-V has been a wise decision for me.
Good luck with your choice of the '19 or '20.

#44 ·
Just had a coworker buy a 2019 CRV last week. It's getting kind of ridiculous! The first two months that I owned mine passing people would be looking at it when I would go into the garage as it was one of less than maybe 10 in the town. Fast forward to today and now out of about 80 employee vehicles in the Garage there are about 10 CRV's in parking lot. Mine is still the only AWD model but the vehicle is so common now that everytime I go to a shopping mall I have to be looking at the license plate before I walk up to a CRV, if not I may end up trying to open someone else's CRV.

#46 ·
I bought a 2019 CRV Touring the end of June. Have about 5,000 miles.... 90% of the driving is highway and mountains... Overall it was an ok purchase. But, I have several issues..

1. Cruise control issue..... going downhill with no one in front of me the cruise control does not work.. The speed will increase as if no cruise control... I must brake to slow the vehicle. This was not the case for my prior vehicles (one of which was a Pilot).
2. Honda Sensing issue... Not very sensitive. Sensing does not immediately kick in when the vehicle crosses the center or outside lines. My Pilot would kick in much sooner without the delay.
3. I find the driver's seat uncomfortable for my back.. This is probably a personal issue and not widespread.

If I had to do it all over again I would probably buy the Subaru Outback.. But because we have been driving hondas for 12 years I bought the honda...

#51 ·
With some major changes to the 2020 model year coming, wait till those are announced. Better deals.

I followed this CRV forum for months and was put off by the GIO issue and Honda's response and instead bought a '19 Rav4 hybrid. Very different from the ICE powered Rav4. In general I like it a lot. The infotainment is mediocre as are most. The only big complaint about it seems to be the inability of many cars to completely fill the gas tank. Doesn't affect MPG (I am getting 43) just how soon you have to refill without the last one or two gallons in the tank. Toyota is aware. And no Android Auto. I like the MPG, the power, the noise level and the electronic nannies. Also seem to be in short supply in the SoCal area. Enough demand there that MSRP is sometimes not the asking price.Not so in the east.

#52 ·
I would buy a new one. There are some bugs that every vehicle manufacturer has -- and some aren't severe enough for a recall -- but they fix them on the later model years. I wouldn't feel bad about a new 2019 CR-V AWD Touring 1.5. Look at Ford and their DI engines... it took them forever to map the fuel injection timing in a way that would clean the system lol... but they did. Now, a TSB is different... they should come out with a TSB as SOON as they see an issue. Bottom line... I'd buy a new one. AWD -- even if you don't need it, that $1500 option is something you'd wish you had in some cases -- trust me. I live in Northern Indiana, and up here, you get AWD/4WD if you can ;)

#55 ·
Old thread, but I don't use the stock nav system in any vehicle. Most are clunky and poor compared to a phone or aftermarket unit.

A Garmin online for $100.00 beats just about every stock unit out there.

I do a great deal of driving for work and may use a couple of nav devices at the same time. I never even pull up the in-car nav systems.

#63 · (Edited)
I am a more recent adopter of a smartphone (iPhone to be exact).. buying and using my first one in early 2019. I resisted for years.. because a phone in my view had a purpose.. mobile ability to use a phone.

The motivator for me to finally adopt was so that I could easily stay in text and location tracking with the rest of the family... NOT to become addicted to a smart phone + the fact that my cell phone provider has largely abandoned good quality clamshell flip phones. The rest of the family uses the smarts out of their iPhones extensively. I only use it as a phone, a few key apps, and texting between family members. My iPhone X will run for 5+ days between charges.. because I am a limited functional user of the phone.. not a phone addict. :) I do NOT connect my iPhone to my CRV.. ever. I do use it to download data from my battery monitor (via an app) and to connect to a BlueDriver on occasion ... but that is it.

I am an iPad user at home for streaming video and a few other things. Otherwise.. at home.. I am mostly interacting via my PC.... as is the case with forum format sites like this one.

Each to their own needs/wants, of course. :)

Some day though... if North Korea ever decides to do a nutty and perform a low earth orbit nuclear detonation near the US..... every single smart phone, and most other electronic devices will be fried beyond repair... so I see it as relevant to limit dependency on smart phones.. just in case. I however keep a spare smartphone turned off and in a sealed grounded faraday container as well.. right next to a 3 month supply of long shelf life food stores too.. just in case. But I plan on never needing them, and having them likely means never having to use them. :)

#66 ·
Based on what I have seen and read, I think you should be pretty safe with a 2019 Touring. Only caveat would be the infotainment system. It's the same. Learn about soft reboots and hard reboots! My issues have been lack of heat and infotainment. 2018 CRV EXL. 16,000 miles.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.