Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello:
Looking at a 30,000 mile 2016 CRV touring. I have driven the car, seems really nice.

What are the service intervals also ?
Looked in an owners manual but couldn’t find trans fluid etc..
Any thing in particular I should look out for? Thank you.

·
Registered
2016 CRV Touring AWD
3,776 Posts
I have a 16 with over 36k.

Service intervals are controlled by the Maintenance minder. This monitors your driving habits and recommends oil changes etc based on usage.
Do lots of highway driving you could go over 8500 miles between changes, stop and go take 2k off that.
Only done oil/filters and rear diff so far plus a few tire rotations.
Google 2016 CRV owners manual and Honda has everything on line with many how to videos as well.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, I have looked at the owners manual, seems to be a lack of basic info to me. (I must just be old school) The car is showing 30,000 miles just wondering if I should start with the basics, diff fluid change, trans fluid etc. I see brake fluid around that point too?
Again just used to seeing that in writing so I have a starting point.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I recently bought a 2016 and found the oil monitoring doodad - fun! Does it actually send an alert to the dashboard when it thinks that it needs the oil changed or are you supposed to check this thing every week?

·
Registered
2,558 Posts
On our '13 EX I only have ever seen the MM for oil life % when I cycle thru the trip meter to reset after getting gas. Not sure if it sends anything to the dash other than the little wrench icon that will light up when it's time.

·
Registered
2016 CRV Touring AWD
3,776 Posts
Its a little unnerving at first to go from fixed intervals to variable intervals. But I was unnerved when I bought my first Honda that had a 7500 interval. 245,000 later its runs fantastically. The first oil change interval was far longer than expected but it was all interstate miles. I'm no longer nervous.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well I bought the car. Happy with the condition, has had dealer maint done. Now that it’s just about 30,000 miles was going to do some of the Sub maint schedule items. Rear diff maybe the CVT. Both are just drain and refil right?

·
Everything in Moderation
2006 CR-V EX, 5MT
10,777 Posts
Yep, best (on a used car) to do a D&F on the transmission and rear diff.

Use Honda fluids, of course.

Also consider replacing brake fluid.

You could wait for warm weather to do this stuff....

·
Registered
2013 CRV EX FWD
2,919 Posts
Well I bought the car. Happy with the condition, has had dealer maint done. Now that it’s just about 30,000 miles was going to do some of the Sub maint schedule items. Rear diff maybe the CVT. Both are just drain and refil right?
Congrats on the purchase. Post some pics!!

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Did a rear diff drain and fill today, CVT is next on the list. Is there any value in doing the brake fluid just from the res? Must be pretty clean in such a new car.

·
Registered
2016 CRV Touring AWD
3,776 Posts
My 16TRG hasn't yet popped up with the first cvt drain yet. Expect it to do that around 55k miles. No harm in doing it early but you'll still get the reminder around then.
Congrats-watch the Honda videos on the sensing system and other car features. They're very useful!

·
Everything in Moderation
2006 CR-V EX, 5MT
10,777 Posts
Is there any value in doing the brake fluid just from the res? Must be pretty clean in such a new car.
Brake fluid absorbs water so you really need to flush it through the entire system, reservoir to wheel cylinders. That will protect your ABS pump, rubber hoses, and calipers.

As I said, since yours is a 2016, doing the brake fluid replacement next spring when its warmer out is OK.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Brake fluid absorbs water so you really need to flush it through the entire system, reservoir to wheel cylinders. That will protect your ABS pump, rubber hoses, and calipers.

As I said, since yours is a 2016, doing the brake fluid replacement next spring when its warmer out is OK.
It's on the list !

·
Registered
'07 CR-V EX-L AWD
4,670 Posts
With winter coming, on an unfamiliar car the first thing I'd check is the coolant, for level, and also to make sure it is good down to a low temp that will safely get you to Spring without a cracked block. I never take it for granted.

Good luck, enjoy your new ride, and show us some pictures so we can enjoy it too!

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
With winter coming, on an unfamiliar car the first thing I'd check is the coolant, for level, and also to make sure it is good down to a low temp that will safely get you to Spring without a cracked block. I never take it for granted.

Good luck, enjoy your new ride, and show us some pictures so we can enjoy it too!
Good advice; is it Honda branded like most of their fluids?

·
Registered
2013 CRV EX FWD
2,919 Posts
Looks great! Enjoy your new car.

·
Registered
'07 CR-V EX-L AWD
4,670 Posts
Ah, beautiful black - the forbidden color here in Texas. Doesn't work well in our climate. Very nice looking ride!

Coolant doesn't necessarily need to be Honda brand, but if that's what's in there now, I'd stick with it, don't mix. When it needs it, flush and fill with top-rated coolant.

·
Everything in Moderation
2006 CR-V EX, 5MT
10,777 Posts
Coolant doesn't necessarily need to be Honda brand, but if that's what's in there now, I'd stick with it, don't mix. When it needs it, flush and fill with top-rated coolant.
It DOES need to be the proper type (unless you are going to do a complete purge).

Easiest to stick with the blue Honda Type II premix. Other alternative is Zerex Asian or similar...

1 - 20 of 33 Posts